Htc One M8 Kitkat vs Lollipop. Which one is better?

Piotr Kejna

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys.
I'm planning to get Htc One M8 soon and after reading reviews and watching videos I'm not sure If I should update it to Lollipop when I get it. Some poeple say the update is great, however other say that the phone overheats, lags and the battery life is much shorter. I would very appriciate if u guys can help me out, say which one do u prefer, which one is better. Im looking forward to get some answers from everyday htc users not admins or something. So what I care about is:
*Performance
*Any lags?
*Battery life (Important)
*Temperature (Important)
*Camera (heard its worst in Lollipop, i dont know if its just a rumor)
P.S. sorry for my english, not my native language.:(

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think performance wise, there isn't much difference when I updated. My reasons for preferring Kit Kat are due to aesthetic/functionality changes that I didn't like.

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm running lollipop and I don't have the problem you speak of speed and performance I don't see the difference benchmarks are a different matter

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it's available for the M8, but I'm running Candy Rom. It's based on CM12 with extra tweaks. Smooth and stable. It's not KitKat though.

Ok thanks, CM12 is definitely the best Lollipop ROM imo.

I was hoping to find something similar to CM11 as I know Kitkat has better battery

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks, CM12 is definitely the best Lollipop ROM imo.

I was hoping to find something similar to CM11 as I know Kitkat has better battery

I'm sure there are some KitKat based roms for the M8. Check the threads and read a few pages over at XDA. That will give you a good idea what people are experiencing. But CM12 runs so good that I can't imagine going back to KK. I couldn't go back if I wanted, as there are no KK roms for the Nexus 6.

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there are some KitKat based roms for the M8. Check the threads and read a few pages over at XDA. That will give you a good idea what people are experiencing. But CM12 runs so good that I can't imagine going back to KK. I couldn't go back if I wanted, as there are no KK roms for the Nexus 6.
You are right about cm12 I'm using it on a nexus5 really smooth and fast

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think I will stick out CM12 until I get more stable reports on CM12.1

I don't know much about the M8 rom-wise, but it could be harder to develop for since it is not as open as say a Nexus device. That's why Nexus devices have the best development as far as #'s of roms available and bug fixing. It should go without saying that a Nexus device is easier to work on since it is Google's own flagship device. It's one of the main reasons I've owned the HTC G1, Nexus One, Nexus 4, 5, and now 6. Complete freedom and ease of use. Consider getting the next Nexus phone if you really want to get the most out of roms and customizing.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about the M8 rom-wise, but it could be harder to develop for since it is not as open as say a Nexus device.

I don't know much about flashing roms in general, but I have seen several people posting they love one called Viper. So there's something to look into besides CM.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My stock M8 with KK was perfect in every way. Since Lollipop was forced to my phone i have had all kinds off problems. Hoping to root it at some point so i can either go back to KK, or find another ROM that will play nice with my phone.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I was unsure at first, but I do like Lollipop better than Kit Kat now. I have two M8's and was able to update one and not the other. I can say with the phones side by side, Lollipop is definitely faster, and not because of the animations either. Apps run faster. Battery life drops for the first few days, then balances out. After a week, Lollipop has better battery life. My phone, right now, is at 50% after 36 hours of run time. AVERAGE screen on time is 6 hours, 35 minutes, with the maximum SOT for a single charge being at 9 hours 35 minutes.

Last edited: