HTC and ads

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The stock HTC lock screen was updated a while back and now HTC Home was just updated. In both cases, advertisements (mostly restaurants I think) were added so now you get them on the lock screen and in Blinkfeed. Naturally it has everyone reviewing them on Play pissed off (and I agree to an extent, and currently refusing to update them). Outside of that, I can't seem to find any info about this.

I know the ads can be turned off if you dig in the settings, but I'm curious about the practice in general. Why they did it to the lock screen, why it was later added to Blinkfeed when it's already shown no one wants them in the first place, do they plan to add ads to other HTC apps, what kind of precedence it could set for other OEM's and the OS itself, etc. I'd especially want to know y if HTC is being paid for the ads, and if it will expand beyond "meal time recommendations" into general ads.

People understand the purpose of ad supported free apps, and the ability to go ad free if we actually buy a product/app. HTC didn't just buck the trend here. It sounds like they two hoof bucked it clear out of the barn and didn't bother opening the door first. So I think it's something users should try to get their heads wrapped around exactly what the story is behind it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The stock HTC lock screen was updated a while back and now HTC Home was just updated. In both cases, advertisements (mostly restaurants I think) were added so now you get them on the lock screen and in Blinkfeed. Naturally it has everyone reviewing them on Play pissed off (and I agree to an extent, and currently refusing to update them). Outside of that, I can't seem to find any info about this.

I know the ads can be turned off if you dig in the settings, but I'm curious about the practice in general. Why they did it to the lock screen, why it was later added to Blinkfeed when it's already shown no one wants them in the first place, do they plan to add ads to other HTC apps, what kind of precedence it could set for other OEM's and the OS itself, etc. I'd especially want to know y if HTC is being paid for the ads, and if it will expand beyond "meal time recommendations" into general ads.

People understand the purpose of ad supported free apps, and the ability to go ad free if we actually buy a product/app. HTC didn't just buck the trend here. It sounds like they two hoof bucked it clear out of the barn and didn't bother opening the door first. So I think it's something users should try to get their heads wrapped around exactly what the story is behind it.

The restaurant listings are supposed to be a feature, not an ad. They're supposed to be "suggestions" of nearby places to eat that show up around mealtimes. However, HTC did announce it's testing ads in BlinkFeed now. These are true ads that either advertise HTC products, or companies that have paid HTC to put them there. I haven't seen any of the ads on mine yet, but I do get the restaurant suggestions.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Next 3D, so at least I won't see those ads, suggestions, or whatever. I personally dislike anything like that, simply because I'm rarely interested in any of the suggested items. That aside, the way they rolled it out with no hint in the description that it can be disabled was sneaky at best. Adding the same ability to Blinkfeed after all the negative reviews in the lock screen update just adds insult to injury in my opinion.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I never liked Blinkfeed anyway. I like Google Now launcher or Nova a lot better.

Sad to hear HTC is resorting to this, though.

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-06-17-21-35-07.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-17-21-33-10.jpg

This has all been blown completely out of proportion. As you can see from the picture, the ads fit in the space of an article. They've been fairly sparce and have mostly recommending apps. They can be disabled if you click the 3 dots in the BlinkFeed settings. Everybody likes to complain.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When paying for a phone (especially a premium phone like the M8 ), ads aren't expected to be part of the OEM environment. It doesn't matter that they are sparse.

As for blowing it out of proportion, I don't think expressing concern qualifies. As I previously mentioned, I haven't been able to find any real info on this new... development(?). So yes, it does leave a lot of questions regarding HTC's plans and plans of other manufacturers that may want to mimic this. I'm willing to bet if this becomes more mainstream and advances to a point where we can't easily disable them, we won't be seeing any price reductions on the phone costs. Maybe we'll have to additionally pay a separate fee to remove the ads on the phone we already purchased?

Again, I don't know and it's questions I'd like to see answered. The whole thing just seems fishy to me right now because I know how developers love to add "features" they think we want/need, then continue to advance those features even in the face of almost universal dislike of it by their users.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I have my M8 up-to-date with latest updates, and I never saw any of the ads you guys are talking about.

So maybe those ads are related to regions and carriers rather than being directly related to HTC

Sent from my HTC One M8

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have my M8 up-to-date with latest updates, and I never saw any of the ads you guys are talking about.

So maybe those ads are related to regions and carriers rather than being directly related to HTC

Sent from my HTC One M8
HTC announced that it's in the testing phase right now. So the ads aren't fully baked in yet. They in all honesty could scrap the whole idea of feedback isn't good.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The ads can be disabled but nevertheless HTC is sending bad signals here. They should get their &)((€:& together.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The ads should be opt in and not opt out. Like I said. I have purchased my last HTC phone.

To be fair, it's not like Samsung, Apple, LG, Nokia/MS, etc don't put ads on things. It's really par for the course - and you'll see way more ads from apps than you will from a launcher you are perfectly capable of replacing.

But for anyone who doesn't like ads (neither do I), just load Ad-Away and you should be good. You should note that it will block some sites that you may try to access intentionally (like the post.it site that's used for shortening links on Facebook), so if you can't load a certain page and it gives you an immediate "Page not available" error, it's probably because Ad-Away is blocking it, but you can white-list things as well.

This seems like it's been blown way out of proportion, especially in the current context of ads on top of ads on top of ads being relatively common.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it has been blown out of proportion at all. We pay a lot of money for our phones. We shouldn't have to put up with ads or have to opt out. And as for your work around you shouldn't have to do it. And by your own accounts your work around messes up some websites. You wouldn't have this problem if greedy companies didn't have to place unwanted ads everywhere.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 182246View attachment 182247

This has all been blown completely out of proportion. As you can see from the picture, the ads fit in the space of an article. They've been fairly sparce and have mostly recommending apps. They can be disabled if you click the 3 dots in the BlinkFeed settings. Everybody likes to complain.

The ads can be dissabled, but only HTC originated ones. All 3rd party ads cannot.
However, i do not find these ads to be a big issue as I hardly notice them. As for now, i don't mind them. I just hope that eventually they get rid of this option and go back to pre-add experience.
Anyway, most android apps from the play-store have ads. You have to pay a premium to get rid of them.
After all, Google is the advertisment king.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ad supported free apps are one thing. I don't mind then since it allows me to use it without charge. HTC implementing ads on the phone would be like paying for a premium app, only to still have ads.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ad supported free apps are one thing. I don't mind then since it allows me to use it without charge. HTC implementing ads on the phone would be like paying for a premium app, only to still have ads.

Well, in that case think of BlinkFeed as free app with ads. If you don't want it, you can always dissable BlinkFeed and try something like Flipboard, etc.
As far as the lock screen restaurant recomendations go, you can fully dissable those if you wish.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, in that case think of BlinkFeed as free app with ads. If you don't want it, you can always dissable BlinkFeed and try something like Flipboard, etc.
As far as the lock screen restaurant recomendations go, you can fully dissable those if you wish.

Blinkfeed is part of the purchase of the phone, not an app people add on after the fact. And I'm dealing with it by refusing to update either of those apps, plus using a different launcher.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463