Heinous HTC Tasks app constantly checking Google accounts, can't be disabled or data deleted

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried out the Tasks app that comes pre-installed with the HTC One M8 (Verizon, Android 5.0.1), and it initially requested permission from my Google accounts' settings (there's a Tasks permission which relates to your Tasks in Gmail), and it wasn't as good as my pre-existing tasks app "Tasks" (by Team Tasks), but after disabling the permission for the app, it's now giving me repetitive notifications that I need to give it permissions for all of the Google accounts attached to the phone (I have three attached, but I usually have seven, and most are work accounts).

If I tap the notification (in the pull-down bar), it takes me to the Google account permission so I can turn the permission back on. If I back out, a minute later I get the notifications again. The only way they go away is if I re-enable the permissions.

If I go into the app, the only option there is to turn off synchronize on app open, which doesn't stop the notifications. If I force stop the app, it doesn't stop the notifications. If I go to the app's info screen, the "Disable", "Clear Cache", and "Clear Data" buttons are grayed out. So now the app is constantly using the battery and cell data to keep pinging Google for tasks and storing whatever data it has and probably sending it to HTC periodically (also using my battery and cell data).

The only way I found to stop the notifications is to restart the phone, but it's only temporarily. They came back. I used another app to clear cache but it doesn't clear that app's cache. I talked to their chat support and they merely suggested clearing Google Play Services cache (can't delete data) and restarting. Even Verizon lets me disable their unnecessary apps, I don't know what HTC is doing with this app and why it's so important to them to prevent me from disabling it or deleting data.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34