Out if warranty repair questions

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My USB port is going bad (again), but this time both my original and certified used phone warranties are lapsed. I tried to call HTC to see if I can get a quote before sending it in and all they could tell me is the average repair cost from all repairs is about $140.

So first, does anyone have any experience with this that can give me a better idea on cost?

Second, I want the battery replaced but they didn't seem to want to do that (even at my cost) unless the battery was actually defective. It's not defective, but the prior owner abused it and the life stinks. Anyone ever been able to get theirs replaced?

Third, do any of the aftermarket repair shops service the M8 so I may have a better option to consider?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are a bit adventurous, I would recommend the DIY route.
Check this site out for instructions, you can also watch a few videos on YouTube as well before proceeding.
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/HTC_One_M8

You can buy a battery on eBay and also get a broken phone off eBay and swap out the motherboard. You should be done for less than $100.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend a DYI for the M7, M8 or M9. The way they are manufactured are not user friendly to fix at all.
If you live in a major metropolitan area check for local repair shops.
Also check their yelp status or BBB status. Many smaller shops care less about quality and more about a quick buck.
Talk to them first, ask questions about warranty, if they mess something up will they take responsibility and fix it? Go with your gut feeling as well.
Also ask them how many of that model have they fixed?

I do this for a living and not all shops will tackle harder phones.
Buying a broken phone off eBay or CL is not a bad idea. Often times black listed IMEI devices go cheap and are a great source for parts.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not much of a tinkerer when it comes to phones, so I'd rather someone else do it. I did some looking around and found a place locally that can do it, so going to explore that route.

I miss the good old days when a charging port and cable lasted the life of the phone. Back before micro USB junk. :rolleyes:

DJ Grand Theft Audio

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if you've tried this. Use a plastic tooth pick and gently scrape any dust or pocket lint out of the port. Also Get in between the terminal on the top side near the screen. Then use a can of compressed air to blow out the remaining dust. The first step needs to be done in order to free up pocket lint that is stuck.

My m8 was suffering from slow charging and I then I tried the above getting my m8 to charge quickly again.

Hope this works for you

bullonparade85#IM

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Quick question I bought a broken htc one m8 for Verizon, it has a broken screen and a scuffed and scratched back cover. I'm going to switch them out, I have experience and the proper tools to do this, but I'm wondering are all m8 parts interchangeable?? I want to get a back cover without all the Verizon branding. All I see are "will fit htc one m8 831c." Any help to clarify would be great.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
@Mooncatt i saw more failures of the mini USB then i do of the Micro USB.
I cant tell you how many BB8700, 8300 charging ports i had to replace over the years.

What i can tell you is the failures i see for todays units are usually manufacturer defects OR poor manufacturing techniques like cold solder joints or going with cheaper parts.
I also tend to see a lot of physical damage on todays micro usb from users who try to force it in when its upside down OR people who use car chargers and the cord gets pulled in all directions putting un-needed stress on the port.

@bullonparade95#IM If your going to go that route, try to get like devices. So GSM for GSM and CDMA for CDMA. I mention this because sometimes devices with different radio chipsets may have different antenna capabilities, and thus different internal designs.
So if you have Verizon service then yes, buy a Verizon or Sprint unit for donor parts. Im not saying every device is like this, but often times there are very subtle changes internally.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What i can tell you is the failures i see for todays units are usually manufacturer defects OR poor manufacturing techniques like cold solder joints or going with cheaper parts.
I also tend to see a lot of physical damage on todays micro usb from users who try to force it in when its upside down OR people who use car chargers and the cord gets pulled in all directions putting un-needed stress on the port.

I don't have any mini USB, but micro USB has been problematic since day one for me. This is the first phone I've had where the port itself is going bad and can possibly see it being a manufacturing defect, but the cables are notorious for it. I've thrown away countless cables, when a proprietary charge only cable like they used to use would last me the life of the phone. At worse, I'd have to get one replacement, not like today where I'm replacing a cable every few months. So much for the idea of reducing waste with a universal design.

I get the idea of having a universal charge and/or data plug, but it should be something more robust than this. It seems the only way to get a port and cable to last are to plug it in and not use the phone during charging. Unless you're doing it overnight (which has its own issues, especially with a non-replaceable battery), I don't know of anyone that routinely leaves the phone alone when charging. People use them when charging, and often do charge in a car. This is nothing specific to smart phones, and they need to be designed to handle normal uses.

That's my opinion, anyway.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You are absolutely right though.
I am one of those people who know to much about phones so i cringe at the thought at plugging it in my vehicle and using it. (which now a days in most states is probably against the law) I am also one of those people who plug it in at night and let it charge over night. That wont harm the unit.
Now plugging it in and using it thats another story. That will cause excessive heat and that is bad for batteries.

I guess i have been fortunate to have had only 1 data cable go bad on me.
BUT i will also say that data cables in my office get used heavily since i manage a repair shop. Heck i have one tech bench with 3, 6 outlet USB ports. IT has 15 iPhone lightening cables and 3 micro USB cables. (yeah we do a lot if iPhone repairs) My desk has a 6 port with 1 Lightening and 5 micro USB and a couple more 5 or 6 USB outlets in my office on another desk.
Im always plugging and unplugging stuff. So while i am cautious with my personal equipment the cables still get heavy use.
I also have a lot of OEM cables floating around my office. im not a fan of cheap cables. They will fail quickly.
I think the biggest manufacturer fail i saw was the 30 pin connector on the Samsung Galaxy 10 tab 2. Those always had the data port failing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21