Trouble Connecting to WIndows 10 PC

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
So I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 yesterday and for the most part, smooth sailing. One of the only exceptions is that the laptop is now not reading my HTC One M8 (Android/Sprint) when I plug it in via USB. It provides no options on what may be going on or how to solve it, and some Google searches haven't been much helpful either.

Typically with Windows 7, I usually plugged the phone in with the USB cord and dropped and dragged files that way. I am able to bring up my Micro SC card folders on Windows 10 if I manually turn the Disc Drive option on with the phone, but again, it only brings up the Micro SD items... nothing from the phone itself. There is also a bluetooth option on my laptop, but it doesn't appear to be reading the phone either, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind considering bluetooth for an option, but I haven't been able to set it up on my end.

I did download HTC Sync Manager, but the program was pretty buggy and wouldn't completely start up again after I restarted the computer. So I ended up deleting that.

Has anyone here ran into this issue? Any idea on how to solve it?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest re-installing HTC Sync and see if that helps. In the meantime, use a wireless solution (Wi-Fi Transfer/Air Droid) to access the device wirelessly until you are able to connect via USB.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
So I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 yesterday and for the most part, smooth sailing. One of the only exceptions is that the laptop is now not reading my HTC One M8 (Android/Sprint) when I plug it in via USB. It provides no options on what may be going on or how to solve it, and some Google searches haven't been much helpful either.

Typically with Windows 7, I usually plugged the phone in with the USB cord and dropped and dragged files that way. I am able to bring up my Micro SC card folders on Windows 10 if I manually turn the Disc Drive option on with the phone, but again, it only brings up the Micro SD items... nothing from the phone itself. There is also a bluetooth option on my laptop, but it doesn't appear to be reading the phone either, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind considering bluetooth for an option, but I haven't been able to set it up on my end.

I did download HTC Sync Manager, but the program was pretty buggy and wouldn't completely start up again after I restarted the computer. So I ended up deleting that.

Has anyone here ran into this issue? Any idea on how to solve it?

I have installed Windows 10 and have had no problems. I've never liked or used HTC Sync Manager. Just make sure you have the HTC driver installed. Should show up under the normal My Computer>Drives. If not, make sure the driver is installed and USB de- bugging is checked.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I downloaded Wi-Fi Transfer as a temporary solution, but it appears that I don't have my drivers installed. I can't seem to find them anywhere online though... at least in a Windows 10 version (I can't post the link yet, but one site only offers drivers that work for XP through 8). Any idea where I could get those from?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I downloaded Wi-Fi Transfer as a temporary solution, but it appears that I don't have my drivers installed. I can't seem to find them anywhere online though... at least in a Windows 10 version (I can't post the link yet, but one site only offers drivers that work for XP through 8). Any idea where I could get those from?

I don't think I had to download new drivers for Windows 10...My old ones still worked. (8.1) It should automatically find drivers or you can download HTC Sync manager that has drivers with the package (I got rid of it after)... You shouldn't need to got to driver finding sites. Windows Update or HTC.....

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I had to download new drivers for Windows 10...My old ones still worked. (8.1) It should automatically find drivers or you can download HTC Sync manager that has drivers with the package (I got rid of it after)... You shouldn't need to got to driver finding sites. Windows Update or HTC.....

Yeah, it hasn't downloaded any drivers automatically... whenever I plug my phone in, this is the notification that comes up.

- (!) USB Device not recognized - The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Then when I click on it, it repeats what it says above then adds this part in.

- Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly.

I did download HTC Sync Manager again, but it can't seem to read the phone there either (at least from what I can tell). That even happens when I click on HTC Sync Manager through the USB File Sharing option on my phone (and it does read Disc Drive when I click on that, except only for the Micro SD card like I said) . Any idea how I might be able to download drivers through Sync without the phone connection, if it exists?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A couple of things: when the phone is plugged into your computer, open up device manager and look under mobile devices and see if theres a 831C driver there. If not, try downloading it from here: Download HTC USB Drivers - v4.16.0.001 If it is listed, right click and choose update driver software. Also check and see if USB Debugging is still checked under Developer Options.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Fwiw, I really appreciate your suggestions here mfreeland! I tried what you suggested last night and nothing still appears to be registering, unfortunately. I did check the Device Manager again and the 831C driver is still not showing up under any heading (I don't believe 'Mobile Devices' even pops up there). I did download the driver you suggested and tried installing it twice, but it doesn't appear to be helping either when I plug the phone in afterward.

My phone isn't rooted, so I don't know if Developer Options should be popping up under the Settings somewhere (if so, where would it be?). I'd be willing to consider rooting it though if you or anyone else think it might help there.

Also... my phone is now able to connect to the computer via Bluetooth. Might that be an option for dropping and dragging things through a certain app or something?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure USB Debugging needs to be checked under developer options. Your phone doesn't need to be rooted to do this. Enable USB Debugging on HTC One:
Open Settings> About> Software Information> More.
Then tap “Build number” seven times to enable Developer options. ...
Go back to Settings menu and now you'll be able to see “Developer options” there.
Tap it and turn on USB Debugging from the menu on the next screen. Then I would plug it in and see if Windows can find a driver..... I feel bad for ya. Mine just worked the second I plugged it in.... Mike

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I just followed your steps and it appears to have done the trick! It's reading both the SD card and the internal memory now and it looks like I should be able to drop and drag, as usual.

Thanks for your help and patience again Mike! Like I said, everything with the Windows 10 update appeared to run smoothly except for this part, so it's nice to know that this is out of the way now. ;)

Will let you all know if there's more issues down the road!

robert downy

May 21, 2016
Visit site
So I have the exact same problem the other guy had, except I own a htc remix.
I literally did all the exact same steps verbatim and still not having any luck recognizing my device.
Also, it doesn't even give me the notification my device was plugged in at all, but the same error messages appear.
I think the notification problem may be because I disabled notification sounds?
Anyway, I have the exact same issue and have tried the exact same steps to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
:(:(:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo