Is there an app that can turn off data connection when the phone auto-connects to wifi?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
No app is needed. That's the way Android works by default. When you're connected via WiFi mobile data is only used if necessary to do a task only possible by using the data connection. Which is not much.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No app is needed. That's the way Android works by default. When you're connected via WiFi mobile data is only used if necessary to do a task only possible by using the data connection. Which is not much.

Yes, Android will automatically route data through Wi-Fi (except MMS I think), but I my Droid Bionic has a Smart Actions function that completely turns off the data radios instead of leaving them on and dormant. I can still make calls and regular texts, just not MMS. It's quite a battery saver by turning the 4G radio off. I don't personally use it, but Tasker is popular and I think I've heard of it having that kind of function. Never bothered with it on my M8, though.

migaux

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe this is true. The reason I say this is because when I'm home and have both the data and wifi feed on, and do a speadtest.net test, I typically will get a 15mbs download rate. When I turn off the data and just leave the wifi connected, the speed jumps to about 25mbs. That leads me to believe that whatever I'm doing online is pulling from the 4g first, and not the wifi unless I turn of the data. Is this not true?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's not how it's supposed to work. If that is in fact what's happening, it's a software bug of some sort. Your mobile data indicators should also show when it's transmitting data, so you can double check that when doing tests (though they may flash briefly now and then while on Wi-Fi for carrier specific data use). Another possibility is something in your phone is artificially limiting your Wi-Fi speed when your mobile data is also on. Again, this would likely be a software bug. It's the first I've heard of this kind of symptom, so I'm not sure where to look.

migaux

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'll look into a software problem. But in the meantime it just takes me back to my original question. Are there apps oiut there that will turn off the data connection when I get home and just go off the wifi?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12