Just need to tether

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint HTC One M8 that is stock running Lollipop. I want to make my phone a wifi hotspot so I can tether my wifi tablet to it. Nothing more. I went the full route with my M7 (root, custom recovery, Cyanogenmod rom) and was never able to return to stock. On this still under warranty m8 I'm concerned.

What is the least I can do to enable tethering? And is it possible to return to stock without leaving Scoff and the tampered or relocked indicators on?

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I did for a while last year. But the add on for tethering was more than I pay for the phone line. And I only tether 3 or 4 times a month.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I did for a while last year. But the add on for tethering was more than I pay for the phone line. And I only tether 3 or 4 times a month.
Can you use wired USB tethering? When they broke Firefox years back I started using PDANet (Who bought Firefox) and it works great. A little fast than WiFi. Just a cable from the laptop to the phone.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure? I know when KitKat came out, all the tethering apps like FoxFi and PDANet and several others quit updating their apps and put out a statement that it didn't work anymore, including USB. I was using USB tethering with Jellybean and Kitkat changed something in the networking. But, I haven't tried it since Lollipop came out, and that was supposed to fix it. I just rooted and used the wifi hotspot. I'll try it again with Lollipop and see how it does.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure? I know when KitKat came out, all the tethering apps like FoxFi and PDANet and several others quit updating their apps and put out a statement that it didn't work anymore, including USB. I was using USB tethering with Jellybean and Kitkat changed something in the networking. But, I haven't tried it since Lollipop came out, and that was supposed to fix it. I just rooted and used the wifi hotspot. I'll try it again with Lollipop and see how it does.
Yeah it works. With the PC it will even use the PC's Wifi as WiFi share, basically making it a hotspot so I could use my iPad. I have a new Mac and it works great on there too. You have to follow their download instructions including the app on your computers. I just don't need tethering as often as I used to, so rooting just isn't something I want to do on this phone, and I like getting OTA updates. M is coming soon......

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well it appears that this problem was fixed in one of the Lollipop releases. It worked in Jellybean, did NOT work in Kitkat, and now I have Lollipop and it's working again. I'm once again using an app called PDANet+ (formerly FoxFi) and can connect to my laptop from my phone using USB or Bluetooth and share the phone's 4G data signal with the laptop, very useful in places with no WiFi. I don't think it works still on my Google tablet, but I've mostly given up on the tablet and bought a very small lightweight laptop anyway.

So, after nearly 2 years, tethering to a PC via PDANet+ on an unrooted Lollipop phone is working.