good temporary phone?

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of getting one while I wait between flagships and my OnePlus one is acting up, thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Usually I'm looking at new phones six months after I get a new one. I have had my M8 for a little over a year now. Haven't seen anything worth ditching it for. Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Tough call. The M8 is still a nice performer, even as a permanent phone. The problem is the USB port. I had two phones where the port went bad and would no longer charge or sync. Being a metal phone with an integrated battery, that's a bad deal. You can't swap batteries and use a charging cradle, and wireless charging isn't possible either. I've recently seen a number of posts on here from people with similar problems that I suspect are port failures too. So for that reason I no longer recommend it.

The only way I'd recommend the phone would be in a case like yours, where it's a temporary stopgap. Even then, I'd only buy one new, so price would play a factor too. If you buy a used one, there's no telling what the condition of the port is in. It may very well work prefect when you get it, start acting up in a week, and be completely useless in a month. At least if it's new, you can expect some ok life and have warranty if/when it fails. If you get it, make sure to keep thorough backups!

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Tough call. The M8 is still a nice performer, even as a permanent phone. The problem is the USB port. I had two phones where the port went bad and would no longer charge or sync. Being a metal phone with an integrated battery, that's a bad deal. You can't swap batteries and use a charging cradle, and wireless charging isn't possible either. I've recently seen a number of posts on here from people with similar problems that I suspect are port failures too. So for that reason I no longer recommend it.

The only way I'd recommend the phone would be in a case like yours, where it's a temporary stopgap. Even then, I'd only buy one new, so price would play a factor too. If you buy a used one, there's no telling what the condition of the port is in. It may very well work prefect when you get it, start acting up in a week, and be completely useless in a month. At least if it's new, you can expect some ok life and have warranty if/when it fails. If you get it, make sure to keep thorough backups!

I'm looking at a referbed one for that reason, hopefully the USB port would be fixed

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My second M8 was a factory refurb under warranty roulette, as I call it, and its port went out quicker than my factory new M8. I've had nothing but problems with factory refurbs, yet that's all you get with warranty. It's not just HTC, but across every brand I've had. If that's what you're considering, I recommend you stay away from them. Far far away.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
At the price they can be found for it's a no-brainer to me. Nexus 6! And I don't think you need to consider it just a temporary phone. It's much better than that.

I've bought a lot of refurbished stuff over the years. Never had any problems. A good way to save money.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm deadlocked between this and the nexus 6

I don't think you can go wrong with either device if purchased at a good price. Do you think you'll be tinkering with it? If so, then the Nexus 6 may be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd lean towards the M8 with the more premium design and sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech