Battery turns off at 5%

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Lately, I have noticed my htc one m8 lollipop update starts to turn itself off for low battery when it gets to 5%. Generally 5% should still be enough to keep it going a little longer however my phone tends to just switch off until next charged. Does anybody else experience this on their m8 phone?

In thinking this could just be natural degradation of battery but won't rule out software /calibration possibilities

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you get that low, the accuracy of the battery monitor can suffer, so it might not necessarily go all the way down to zero before shutting down. As an aside, I'd strongly recommend against letting the battery drop this low habitually, since that can shorten the battery's lifespan. It's recommended to start charging when the battery hits around 30-40%.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's normal. Phones shut off even though it appears the battery has some life in it.

Why? Because fully-depleting a battery is terrible.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that the percentage that it reports to you is basically just a mapped value... it has no real meaning. It is bascially trying to guess how much power is left and gives you a percentage number. Your phone shuts down as a precaution, as going lower would most likely lead to a situation where the phone's power supply could not reliably regulate the power coming from the battery.

My Nexus 6 powers down at 5% and has ever since it was new.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon