How to remove Yelp ads from lock screen with News Republic

moorerjessica42

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone help me out by letting me know if there is a way to get rid of the Yelp ads appearing on my lock screen? I've searched throughout old forum posts about it and found one on how to remove it by going to the Blinkfeed settings but now that Blinkfeed is no longer, I haven't found anything on here or online about how to get rid of those annoying ads now that HTC has News Republic. I have tried going to the News Republic settings and it says that it can remove the ads if you want to pay to subscribe (which is ridiculous anyway) but I'm not concerned so much about the Yelp ads that appear on my Highlights, I would just love to find a way to somehow remove them from appearing on my lock screen. Does anyone know if the only way you're able to do that now is if you pay for the News Republic subscription to remove the ads altogether or is there actually a way to just prevent them from appearing on my lock screen that I just can't seem to find?
*Side Note* This is my first time posting anything on A.C. Forums so please be patient with me :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you care about having News Republic on your lockscreen? If not, there's probably an option to turn it off, which would also remove the Yelp ads.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how accurate my advice would be at this point since I haven't had a working M8 in months. From what I remember, those ads started appearing with a lock screen app update in the Play store (which props to HTC for doing individual updates of system apps that way instead of the all or nothing OTA updates). I saw tons of complaints about that in the reviews, so I simply didn't update the lock screen app and was able to avoid the ads.

So if you're able to, try using the app manager to uninstall the updates from the lock screen app. With any luck, it'll roll back to a pre-ad version.

Michael Ridewood

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
You can do this from /settings/apps/news republic/notifications = block all

you still have the android side bar with News Republic = nothing changes there, but you won't see anymore News Republic notices on the lock screen.
Hope this helps

Edit = that did not work. Sorry i'm out of clues,.

edit 2 = found one that works.. i don't use yelp but i was getting announces from News Republic on my lock screen.
I was able to turn them off with this method.

Settings/apps/news republic = disable

so far this method works fine. very happy to have my lock screen clear of undesired announcements.
if ever i decide to install yelp. you can be sure i will do exactly the same thing,.

thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol