So what's your next phone?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
My failing non removable battery in HTC One m8 means I have to move on now...

Any one thinking of getting a new one and if so what phone would you get?

When I get a new one I would need:

Good sound (audiophile).
Great battery life.
IR Blaster.
Fast performance, no lagging.

Any ideas?

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded last week to the LG V10. The 32 bit dac makes music sound great with headphones. The ability to swap batteries is great too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded last week to the LG V10. The 32 bit dac makes music sound great with headphones. The ability to swap batteries is great too.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'd recommend this too, or its little brother the G4 if you want to save some cash. I'm on the G4 and love it, but it does have issues with early versions having hardware failures. Definitely not something I'd recommend used. Otherwise it's fast, has loud and clear audio (a fair trade for the M8's quieter stereo speakers), and a top notch camera. The G4 also includes an IR blaster.

The recently announced G5 may also be worth looking into. It's probably closer in size to the M8 and has a metal body, but also has a removable battery. The G5 can also make use of additional modules, including a Hi-Fi one. (Optional, of course)

http://m.androidcentral.com/lg-pair...o-module?_ga=1.12023671.2118708604.1455326363

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I am sure this will not be the answer you want to read about, but I thought I would toss in my upgrade from my HTC One M8. Before I get to the phone, I want to explain what caused me to switch from my HTC One M8.

The HTC One M8 was hands-down one of the coolest phones I have ever owned. I absolutely loved it until the Android Lollipop update. I have the Verizon variant, which is actually sitting next to me (I toy with it every now and again). The Lollipop update went fine. I did a fresh install to make sure that I wasn't having performance issues. If anyone else has the Verizon variant, the last update was to Lollipop 5.01 which has a ton of performance issues because 5.01 has a ton of bugs (I am using the present tense since my phone is still on 5.01). The fun part? Google corrected almost all of those bugs with Lollipop 5.1 and it's my understanding that Lollipop 5.1 was amazing. 5.1 was released within a week or two of me getting 5.01 on my Verizon HTC One M8. Yet, here I am in 2016 and it appears my M8 will pretty much be permanently stuck on Lollipop 5.01 because Verizon will probably never push out the Marshmallow update (as of this morning, my M8 says there is no update available).

When I have to boot up Slacker half a dozen times and perform a full reboot on the phone just to make Slacker Radio work without receiving a blank screen, something is wrong. I could recreate the problem every single day and it drove me nuts. Now, I know everyone will just tell me to get a different music program, such as Pandora. However, that is compromising. I should not have to compromise when using my phone. The software should work with apps that are already designed to be compatible with it. I shouldn't have to put effort into making basic things work on the phone.

The next issue is that my phone would heat up when using basic apps like YouTube for 5 minutes or so. The heat was nothing that would be deemed uncomfortable, but it was extremely noticeable. Again, I know for a lot of people this is not an issue because they are used to having phones heat up drastically when playing short YouTube videos. However, I realized that there are other phones out there that do not heat up at all when playing YouTube videos. This made me realize that there is a quality difference between other phones and the HTC One M8 was subpar in this regard.

If I was in an office text stream when I may be sending 50 messages or so in a matter of 10 minutes without turning my screen off, my M8 would heat up significantly as if the screen was causing the phone to get hot. Again, many phones do not have this issue.

The standby battery life on the M8 was also pretty poor. If I left my phone on my desk for a couple of hours without touching it and there was almost no activity with regard to emails and messages coming into the phone, I would still lose a significant amount of battery and the phone was not even being used. I know how to turn off background tasks, disable location services, etc. Anyone who thinks you should have to do this to conserve battery is compromising the experience of their phone to achieve better battery life. There are phones out there where you do not have to compromise to get great battery life, even when the phone is in standby.

The last iPhone I owned was the iPhone 4, which was a great phone and always did a good job, but I was tired of the small 3.5" screen and left Apple to go for Android for a bigger screen experience. I love Android. I did a short stint with the Galaxy S3 (garbage phone), the HTC Droid DNA (great phone, terrible battery), Galaxy S5 (garbage phone), and then the HTC One M8 (great phone, but for issues stated above).

I purchased an iPhone 6S Plus as my M8 replacement. I can tell you that the battery life is absolutely amazing. I don't have to compromise or turn off background activities. If I leave my phone on my desk for a couple of hours with messages coming in (which turn the screen on), I may lose 1-2% of my battery life. I have Exchange Server email, so my iPhone is always pushing email. I can type out 50 text messages without turning the screen off and the phone does not heat up. I can watch an entire CNN political debate, such as the debate this week, for several hours and the phone doesn't even get remotely warm.

Here's the big thing-- the apps all work and they work very well with the phone. I don't have to compromise due to poor software updates from HTC, Verizon and Google.

Software updates? I get them immediately. I do not have to worry about waiting for Google to issue an update and then send it to HTC to mess with who then sends it to Verizon for them to choose to load their bloatware garbage into it or just forget about their customers and not send an update at all. Lollipop 5.1 was released in February, 2015. It's been more than a year and my phone has not seen an update. Lollipop 5.01 is a terrible build. They could have at least moved us up to 5.1.

My iPhone 6S Plus will get the latest updates easily for the next 3 years, which is great.

If you want a no-compromise phone experience as far as being able to use the phone with all of its intended features actively running and still have a great experience, I recommend the iPhone 6S Plus 64GB or higher variant.

If you have to sit there and cripple your phone's experience to achieve good battery life and performance, then there is something wrong with the way the software is interacting with the hardware, or there is something wrong with the hardware, such as the poor Snapdragon 810 processors from last year.

If you have never tried a 6S Plus, I recommend you give it a shot. You may be surprised.

I know there are a lot of people who may think this is blasphemous and start arguing about no "real" multitasking, etc. in iOS versus Android; I encourage those people to at least try the other side. For most things we do on our phones, the two operating systems are remarkably similar and come down to subjective differences.

I love both Android and iOS. But right now, when it comes to a no-compromise experience, I have experienced for better success with iOS on the 6S Plus.

Good luck with your decision.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your opinion on getting an iPhone, but I refuse to buy anything Apple and get locked into their world. I too am tiring of the HTC M8, it needs to be rebooted after running Slacker or Pocket Casts because it seems to stress doing more than 1 thing at a time. But for me I'm thinking of going back to Samsung and the GS7 Edge or the Nexus 6P. Did I mention I hate Apple and it's proprietary system?

DJ Grand Theft Audio

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Iphone no go for me either. Also my daughter had an iPhone 5c, she wanted one as her friends at school had iphones. After a few weeks she regretted getting an iPhone. She couldn't stand it. So recently I traded it in and got her a sony xperia z5 compact. Which she loves. My wife has an iPhone 6s that she uses for her job and she can't stand it.

The only good thing about iPhones is with updates. You get them quickly and efficiently. If there are bugs you get them resolved quickly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I will hand it to Apple for being more reliable, thanks to being their own closed off ecosystem. The trade off, of course, means little customization.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
That's great that your daughter loves her Xperia Z5 Compact. I always thought the Xperia series was pretty good. How is she doing with taking video on her personal device? I know that a main drag of the Z5 this year was the phone overheating to an uncomfortable level when taking video. But, like any phone, including iPhones, I am sure I can find an example of a phone misbehaving in a manner that is inconsistent with user experience for most people who own that phone-- so I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with her phone.

iPhones certainly are not for everyone. I do miss Boomsound on my M8 and I miss being able to switch launchers (although Sense works great).

The one big thing that I have been truly happy with is the absolute lack of any problems with my phone with hardware and software. I took a 10 minute 1080p video at 60FPS of my kid reading yesterday (yes, it is the simple pleasures in life), and the phone did not heat up and I didn't have any noticeable drop in battery life. My M8 was a great phone, but pictures would tax the system pretty heavily and I would use more battery life than what I thought was appropriate.

One thing I forgot to toss in my post above is iMessage. Most of the people I communicate with have iPhones, and iMessage is great when it comes to sending GIFS, pictures, and videos that are not reduced in quality at all, such as what MMS does with its 1200K/B maximum. Believe me, I was never able to convince anyone to use Google Hangouts and nobody was willing to give WhatsApp a shot, despite being the most popular messaging program in the world.

The Galaxy S7 looks like a great phone. If Samsung releases a Google Play Edition, which is probably unlikely, it may be the best Android phone of the year if the camera holds up as well as the S6 did.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your opinion on getting an iPhone, but I refuse to buy anything Apple and get locked into their world. I too am tiring of the HTC M8, it needs to be rebooted after running Slacker or Pocket Casts because it seems to stress doing more than 1 thing at a time. But for me I'm thinking of going back to Samsung and the GS7 Edge or the Nexus 6P. Did I mention I hate Apple and it's proprietary system?

A Google Play Edition Galaxy S7 will probably be the best Android phone of 2016. A Touchwiz variant GS7 may not be the best Android phone of the year due to Touchwiz still being pretty overbearing. Hopefully Samsung fixes the RAM management this time around.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Cool lots of good comments! I'm really underwhelmed by what's on offer...apart firm LG nobody is doing anything really exciting with phones...just faster and stronger. I'm not convinced by the leaks I've seen of the HTC One M10. It doesn't look remarkably radical in any way, and no stereo speakers! It looks generic to me and unless they are keeping exiting details back for release then this could spell the end of HTC as a phone maker. I still want a phone with good battery life with, no lag and good audio sound..so far for me it is LG G5 when it is released....

on another note, what is going on with infra red remotes on phones? Most flagships don't have them now, looks like m10 is also losing infra red...sad...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo