APP Permissions messed up on HTC One M8 with Marshmallow

Rickyzee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Definitely a real issue. It's been happening to me. I am on an HTC One M8 running Android 6.0, HTC Sense version 7.0. I've never made any change to the operating system. Just using it as it came out of the box. I'm not sure what triggers the problem, but it may be that I am losing permissions every time an app gets updated now. For example, suddenly I will not be able to type in the address field in Gmail and have the address auto complete from my contacts. That took a while to figure out because I didn't realize it was a permission issue. I thought Gmail was broken. I found where there is a permission setting in the Gmail App settings to allow Gmail to access your contacts. Other examples are Facebook asking me if it can access my camera, or the voice recorder will ask me if it can access my microphone. This has been happening every few weeks, possibly as apps are updated.

Slaverty

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a theory. Like you all I've been battling this since MM update for M8, I've reset the phone multiple times after getting sick of it plus the issues it causes. Every time I reset, the phone will be back to normal and functioning fine, but I think I've noticed the issue re-appears after the phone runs out of battery and dies. Last time after factory reset, phone was fine for 1-2 months, died at 0% battery and when I plugged it in and started it back up immediately got permission issues, and I think it was the same last time as well.

I know you're not supposed to let your phone run out before anyone gets at me for that :p just happens accidentally some times (false reporting of % remaining doesn't help)

Does this sound familiar to anyone else experiencing issue?

EDIT:
Just found this elsewhere
"I had fixed it by rebooting to factory settings and never letting my phone restart but rather turn off and back on. While playing Pokémon Go my phone ran out of battery and I'm back to the problem ??????"

Last edited:

Rickyzee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I've never reset my phone. I just click okay on any permissions that it asks me for, and those hold for a week or two. I will also need to go into Gmail app permissions and reset it to allow access to my contacts when autofill stops working. My phone died last night (same issue, with the battery percentage being 11% and the phone died). I checked this morning, and permissions are still set, so that didn't have an effect.

Daniel Stone1

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes! This happens a lot with me. False representation of percentage in power caused my phone to power down and then when restarting my phone it came up with the permissions needed to start apps.

It seems pretty common to me now after having to reset my phone on multiple occasions over the last few months after the battery has gone down

Slaverty

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
So there was an update to Sense Home early/mid last week. I've seen some people mention they reckon this issue started after a particular Sense update, rather than the MM update.

I can't confirm either way, but since Sense update last week I haven't had this issue. Usually 1, or on rare occasion 2 reboots will reset my permissions but I've been rebooting my phone multiple times a day since update to test and haven't had a single request. Anyone else apply that update and still getting the issue?

My Sense Home is currently version 8.22.827027

UPDATE:
Problem is still preset after Sense update, just took a while

Last edited:

Rickyzee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I just had Weather pop up and ask me to allow it to access my device's location. That's the only permission thing. I just checked Gmail, and it's still set to allow access to my contacts, so that hasn't reverted lately. I checked my voice recorder, and it didn't ask for access to my microphone before working. Facebook hasn't asked me for access to pictures and videos recently. So, it seems better, Something else odd has happened in the last few days, though. A few days ago I noticed my ringtone was suddenly set to silent, so even with the volume up my phone wasn't ringing. I never mess with my ringtone. Last night I noticed the setting that autorotates the screen was off. I never mess with that. Seems like when they do an update they're not holding some settings.

Slaverty

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a custom ringtone? I found with my text notification it would either revert to the default sound or just not play anything. When I went to change it back, Messages asked for permission to access my storage which after granting it went immediately back to my custom sound. Not sure about auto-rotate though

Also, forgot to mention after the sense home update I did have to apply permissions once (I immediately reboot after update so not sure if reboot or update caused it) but has stuck since then. Maybe your weather hadn't been granted since update?

UPDATE:
Problem is still preset after Sense update, just took a while

Last edited:

Rickyzee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
That may be on the weather permissions. On the ringtone, it was one of the standard ones that came with my phone. Nothing special about it.

Rickyzee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
The Weather app asked me if it could access my location again this morning. I'm not opening it up when it does that. It just pops up after I start my phone.

davidsco27

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
People, it's obviously a MM issue. Typical Google, where EVERYTHING is a perpetual beta, and WE'RE the free crash test dummies. I'm having the same annoying issue on a new Moto G4. No antivirus. No encryption. Battery isn't going to zero. and I have no choice to reboot, only shut down and have to start it again. Problem happens on Waze, Calendar, Email, and virtually any app. ANNOYING as hell. My only hope is the Nougat update coming with fix it. I feel like throwing this thing

nomagnolia

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Also having this problem. Phone is a standard android m8 - not encrypted or rooted etc. Android v6, HTC Sense 7.0, software number 6.13.206.5. Any time it's restarted, many of the apps lose all their permissions: Gmail and weather do, but oddly Facebook doesn't, nor does chomp SMS.

paylord

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
This is a common problem... A pain... I had one fix .. Hold power button and vol. up and down., for at least 3 minutes... resets battery, which apparently controls permission memory.. I have look at all posts.. MY OPINION.. batteries are getting old on this device. HOWEVER.. I found the fix... DO NOT RESTART. If you use the shutdown. and then power up.. all fixed..

zeek5

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
Update 12-2018: I no longer use Ting, but I still have problem of permissions resetting when phone battery runs dead, the restarts.

Old review:
Okay I think I have finally identified the app on my HTC One M8 phone (Sprint factory phone but now using the Ting network and Ting SIM card) that has been causing permissions for most apps on my phone to reset without my knowledge or consent. After a long process of trial and elimination I believe that the offending app is the Ting utility app itself (for account monitoring and settings adjusting.)
So I have deleted that app from my phone and I now check my Ting account from my computer on the Ting.com web page instead. So far (a week or so) permissions have remained set (where I have set them) through many phone restarts. So far so good with the phone and the Ting service.

Android: 6.20.651.x -Marshmallow

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae