Why won't my HTC One M8 change my sms notifications to custom?

A

AC Question

htc one m8 wont change sms notification to custom

ok so i put my custom notifications in to the usual internal storage (its always worked before) changed the setting from phone settings but when i try to change it in the message settings although i see my customs in the list of options once i pick and click apply nothing happens and its stays on the default unless i pick one that is not custom then it works.

any ideas? ive never had this problem before :/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: htc one m8 wont change sms notification to custom

Welcome to Android Central! On some of my past phones, I'd have to reboot the phone after transferring custom tones to the Notifications directory. Does that help?

Wimpwob

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Interestingly I have exactly the same problem. My M8 was replaced after it's screen failed. With my old M8, just having the message sound in the correct folder was all that was needed. I can now see and select the sound in the messdage notificatios settings, but it just stays as default. It will happily change to any of the standard sounds.

Things I have tried:
1) Copied the MP3 file to all notification folders in both phone memory and SD card (there are 3 or 4 of them)
2) Changed the MP3 to .ogg
3) Turned phone off and on after each change
4) pulled my hair out

Any ideas?

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

I think this may be a "feature" of the Messenger app. I can change the notification sounds on my mail app and on the Message app with no problem.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

Tried something that seems to work. Made Messages my default SMS app, and set my notification sound to my custom sound. Then I made Messenger my default SMS app. In settings, it says that Dahlia is my notification sound, but I actually hear my custom sound when I receive texts.

Jim The Tyreman

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

ok so i put my custom notifications in to the usual internal storage (its always worked before) changed the setting from phone settings but when i try to change it in the message settings although i see my customs in the list of options once i pick and click apply nothing happens and its stays on the default unless i pick one that is not custom then it works.

any ideas? ive never had this problem before :/

I had this too, check your permissions for the app, I gave mine permission to access files / folders (as that's where the custom sounds are) working perfectly now!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae