M8 resetting permissions after restart

romjae

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I've noticed this a couple times where I've gone to restart my phone for whatever reason and when it comes back online it's like I've removed a bunch of permissions and I have to give the apps permission again.

It even goes back to changing the sound effects to default. It's really frustrating because I have to go back into a handful of apps and confirm the permission was set the way it should after my phone reset.

Is this a marshmallow thing? I haven't had this problem before updating to it.

Also, I'll clarify, I'm not factory reseting my phone, I'm just holding down the power button and selecting reset instead of turn off.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen. But I didn't do a restart, it shut down because of life battery, then I had 7 give everything permissions again and fix my sounds for notifications and ringtones. Only the one so far.

stbo

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I think this may be the same Sense Home update problem that I posted just after your post. In addition to the other problems, after a restart I also have to give permissions all over again.

romjae

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I talked to a friend who also has the m8 and he said it happened to him. Did htc release another update since then? Because I just had the same thing happen to me last night.

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had the loss of permissions problem after restart for a while. It has persisted across multiple hard resets, and even multiple devices! I am working on a theory. For anyone here who has had this issue, did you encrypt your device? I'm trying to find a common thread, as clearly every device hasn't had this issue, but many have. Any input is appreciated.

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
This randomly happens to me also. Sometimes restarts cause it and other times it's when an app updates but it doesn't do it every time. Also app data seems to reset along with it. I find it extremely annoying and it's only just started to happen. Also everytime I reset or turn on the device, the keyboard always defaults to the original htc keyboard which I don't use (I use the SwiftKey) there has to be some bugs somewhere. I'm using android marshmallow. Anybody else have these issues??

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
In think it's related to Marshmallow and battery degradation. That's just my guess. How's your battery is out an old one?

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
In think it's related to Marshmallow and battery degradation. That's just my guess. How's your battery is out an old one?

Good theory. I've had my device for 2 years and never changed the battery so could well be that . Just yesterday, I had to sign into Google all over again after i restated! A couple of weeks ago, I did start using adaptive storage because of low storage space so that may have something to do with the issues I've been having

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site

That's not the cause - here's why. If you do a search you'll see it happens on M8, M9, and HTC 10 devices. It's probably fairly rare though. I or a member of my family have had each of these devices, in some cases several of them. Some had the issue, and some did not. The ones that did, developed it out of the blue after a restart, in some cases on a replacement device less than a week or two after receipt from HTC. Unless HTC is shipping devices with degraded batteries, that can't be the cause.

It must be some particular setting or configuration that's triggering a deep OS bug, and searches online tell me that no one has a clue what that setting or combination of settings might be.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
That's not the cause - here's why. If you do a search you'll see it happens on M8, M9, and HTC 10 devices. It's probably fairly rare though. I or a member of my family have had each of these devices, in some cases several of them. Some had the issue, and some did not. The ones that did, developed it out of the blue after a restart, in some cases on a replacement device less than a week or two after receipt from HTC. Unless HTC is shipping devices with degraded batteries, that can't be the cause.

It must be some particular setting or configuration that's triggering a deep OS bug, and searches online tell me that no one has a clue what that setting or combination of settings might be.
Ok that's good information thanks! So we can cancel out bad battery issues. So could it be Marshmallow? That seems to be the common thread here, I've read that this bug isn't exclusive to HTC and that other brands with Marshmallow also have displayed this bug. It always bugged me that HTC never re updated Marshmallow to the latest stable version. The same with lollipop they updated to the first revision and didnt follow that up... I wonder if this bug is contected to the first Marshmallow revision only? I guess we'll never find out...

Compare that with KitKat which was released with M8 on 4.4.2 and then we got 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 afterwards

This is the double edged sword issue with HTCS 90 day commitment to updating to next version. I'd rather they waited until the next major version is 'stabilized' before promising to update our phones.

This is the reason I won't be updating my HTC 10 to Nougat 7.0 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463