M8 wont update/Keeps going to android system recovery

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a couple other posts similar to this one, but not the same.

I've got the Marshmallow update downloaded and when I hit "Continue" to continue the update after downloading I get this screen (in the picture below). I've never rooted or messed with this phone at all. I selected "apply this update from ADB" from the screenshot and that didn't work. I tried selecting "reboot system now," and that just restarts the phone, so thankfully it's not bricked. :-

Each time the phone restarts I have to redownload the update before trying to apply it.

Are the masses able to update their M8s without issue or did AT&T have us wait around for the update only to screw it up?

Any tips on how to get this sucker to work without heading into AT&T? Thanks everyone

20160513_183157.jpg

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just talked to AT&T and they couldn't resolve the issue either. Will have to go into a store to have them deal with it.

zman_11

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue last night, then I moved some audio books to the SD card to free up 17GB of space on the main drive, when I tried again, it worked fine.

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I made sure to have 4 gbs of free space available in my internal storage (per AT&T) and it still didn't work.

The update says if you hit "remind me later" instead of "continue" after the update has downloaded it will remind you later every 4 hours but only 4 times before it automatically starts. I'm going to let it auto update to see if that will work and then report back.

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Phone just tried to update automatically and the android system recovery screen popped up again that is pictured above.

I'm out of possible ways to get this sucker to update, so will be taking it into AT&T unless someone out there much smarter than myself has a better solution.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I just got around this problem with my wife's M8. She only had 4 Gb free, so I moved all her photos and videos to the card, which gave her 15 Gb free in phone storage. Then I booted to recovery mode (hold the down volume and power button), and I wiped the cache partition. After that, I rebooted, re-downloaded the update, and installed.

What I think is happening, is that after the download completes, the zip file is unpacked, and if there's not enough free space, some files don't get unpacked properly or unpacked at all. I don't know how much free space is required, I just know 4 gigs did not work several times, but 15 gigs of free space worked the first time. I would assume 11 gigs would work fine, but that's just an assumption. Hope this helps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I updated and had no issues either. But to reiterate the post by Altema, I also had a lot of storage free (read nearly all; I just did an RUU to get back to stock). My update went without a hitch. I think Altema is on to something, though.

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Altema22 and Golfdriver! I deleted a bunch of videos that were already backed up to Google Photos, creating 10 or 11 gigs of free space, and my phone is updating fine now.

I'm so glad I didn't have to go into an AT&T store and waste a day dealing those guys. It's also too bad AT&T couldn't give me this advice as I spent a good part of an hour online with a rep and a good part of an hour on the phone with a rep. You'd think they'd be able to reiterate this fix as to save their company extra time having to deal with this issue.

Anyways, thanks again, and I hope this thread is helpful to others out there having similar issues.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Altema22 and Golfdriver! I deleted a bunch of videos that were already backed up to Google Photos, creating 10 or 11 gigs of free space, and my phone is updating fine now.

I'm so glad I didn't have to go into an AT&T store and waste a day dealing those guys. It's also too bad AT&T couldn't give me this advice as I spent a good part of an hour online with a rep and a good part of an hour on the phone with a rep. You'd think they'd be able to reiterate this fix as to save their company extra time having to deal with this issue.

Anyways, thanks again, and I hope this thread is helpful to others out there having similar issues.

Thanks for the follow up. How is the update so far? My M8 isn't my daily driver anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34