Help please! HTC One M8 stuck at FASTBOOT screen, what options should I select?

A

AC Question

Help please! HTC One M8 stuck at FASTBOOT screen

Recently my phone had a system update.
Since then, it has switched itself off/on, has optimised all apps every reboot, apps have kept crashing.
Read some advice yesterday to de-install Android system webview.
Phone worked fine last night, but now is stuck on recovery screen.

***Software status: Modified***
***Locked***
***Security warning***

Then fastboot is listed with, hboot, ramdump, reboot, reboot fastboot, power down, options are listed.
The reboot option just brought me back to the same screen.

What option should I select?

kitty73

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
No, the phone hasn't been rooted.

Selecting recovery from the HBOOT menu doesn't work.

I was advised by HTC tech support to remove Sense from the apps.
It worked again but is now stuck again at the white screen with the HBOOT menu.
Optoins are 'Fastboot, Recovery (doesn't work) Factory reset, simlock etc.

What does Fastboot do??
All I want to do is try get the phone working and not lose my photos...

Can anyone help?
thanks

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help please! HTC One M8 stuck at FASTBOOT screen

Honestly I'm afraid you'll have to factory reset. You didn't have your photos perhaps backed up in your Google account?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What does Fastboot do??
Hi, OP.

If you select "FASTBOOT", it puts the phone in fastboot mode.

Contrary to its name, it doesn't make the phone boot up faster or what not. Instead, it is a special mode that allows you to modify the file system images on your computer via the Android Debug Bridge, or ADB.

This is a well-known term in the Android modding community, since it is one of the fundamentals of modifying an Android phone, as you need to enter fastboot mode in order to do things like unlock the bootloader (note that on most phones, this voids the warranty).

For normal use, you don't need to do so, and frankly, it won't help solve your issue..

For your issue, I would recommend a factory reset if nothing else works. Don't forget to set up Google Photos when you set it up again. Since you mentioned that even booting into the recovery doesn't work, I suspect that your recovery and OS image could be broken. Reflashing both can help, but you might have to re-check with HTC's support to find other options.

It sucks to know that all your photos and precious memories are gone. I've been through that before. If that has to happen, take this as a learning experience and make sure you back up your stuff regularly, or set up your device to do so automatically at regular intervals so you won't have to do it yourself. ;)