HELP. Can't use phone. "System UI has stopped"

A

AC Question

I have a HTC One M8, unrooted, locked bootloader, so basically 'pure'.

Whenever I turn on my phone, I immediately get this pop up at the lock screen: "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped", and sometimes another one which says something like "the process com.android.phone has stopped". If I press ok the screen turns black, or it flashes, or it shows me just the wallpaper; one of these, but the result is the same, I can't do anything on my phone. I can just hold the power button to have the option to restart. I searched A LOT on the internet and it seems like some people can still use their phone with this problem, but it's not my case.

I think the problem appeared because my phone's battery depleated while google play was making an update to a system app, because this problem started appearing after I charged it.

When I connect it to the PC I hear the noise it'd make as if something was connected to the computer but I can't see the device neither in file explorer, nor in device manager. I managed to connect it into fastboot, installing android sdk on my computer, but seems like I can't save data while I'm in fastboot, and my priority right now is to save my photos and contacts. I also tried turning it on into safe mode but the problem still appeared. I also tried HTC Sync Manager but it also doesn't detect my phone. I found out about using command prompt to 'pull' files from your phone when it's connected as ADB but I can't connect it like that; only fastboot is working...

Is there a way I can save my data before a factory reset, or just fix the problem?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
🙋Welcome. :)
I'll move the thread to the M8 forum for extra visibility. It will remain accessible from this one.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I had a similar issue but eventually the phone sorted itself out... What about the recent apps button does that do anything?

peacecarmys

Aug 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi SurvivingLAB! I have the exact same problem as you have with my HTC One M8... Since you posted this 2 years ago, I'm wondering if you were able to fix it and get rid of the System UI error, without doing a hard reset and losing everything? I still have some pictures and contacts to backup on there...
Thank you kindly for letting me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy