HTC One M9 may not have the 'M9' in its name

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC could change its phone naming scheme, next flagship might not be called One (M9)

HTC may be ditching the M9 code name nomenclature. The source is from the twitter account Upleaks which has had a really solid track record as far as leaks go. They had the first live picture of the HTC Nexus 9, first to talk about HTC having a phone with 13mp front facing camera etc, so they seem to have inside sources at HTC. So I think it's a pretty reliable source.

As far as the name change, I think that's good. M8 kinda doesn't make much sense, and the only reason it was added to the One was so that people could differentiate it from the M7, or the original HTC One.

I think it'll be hard for HTC to keep the 'One' branding and come up with names. Maybe they should start fresh and call it another name, like HTC Amazatron, then the next year have it HTC Amazatron 2, then HTC Amazatron 3 etc.

With the One M8, they couldn't name it HTC One 2 as that sounded stupid, so they went with M8, which doesn't make much sense either. I think they should start fresh.

What I'd like to see:

- 5.2" - 5.5" 1080p display (I know the market is moving to 1440p, but I think 1080p is fine and saves on battery)
- Snapdragon 805 (or better if something is available)
- 8 Ultrapixel camera with OIS (maybe ditch the 2nd depth sensor and go with OIS).
- 3gb ram
- 3000+ mAh battery
- Full metal unibody (as always)
- Boomsound speakers (of course)
- Remove that HTC black bar (I know they use it's used for display controllers or whatever, but try to minimise the size of it if possible)
- Android 5.0 with Sense 7

RattleSnake506

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I am fine with the name change. But I like your realistic specs. I would also like to see the same specs. Can't wait for this phone.

Especially the camera. 8 ULTRA pixel with OIS would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
ditching the one line has me worried. they may go plastic next round. tbh unless they give a minimum 3000mah battery and fix the dodgy lte signal i wont buy another htc.

ahmad12

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I am fine with the name change. But I like your realistic specs. I would also like to see the same specs. Can't wait for this phone.

Especially the camera. 8 ULTRA pixel with OIS would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I dont care about the name the body is beautiful it is the camera that I hate I am with you here if it was an 8 UltraPixel would have been great I just dont think its possible they tried with this UltraPixel and they might abandon it and move on lets see

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I want a high quality 8mp camera, and fix your camera algorithm. Screen size no larger than 5.2 inches unless they go with a different display provider or odd resolution which makes the display slightly wider. Snapdragon 810 processor or better, 2800-3200 mah battery. Not much else needs to change. HTC makes a great product.

jon10231

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't want a bigger screen on a phone that I need to fit in my pocket. We don't need a selfie camera larger than a snap shot camera, faster processor is always nicer. The duo camera is pretty cool and is something different than everyone else has, I love the metal body. Screen resolution is great, anymore and it is nothing but a marketing ploy that will cost money, our eyes won't see the difference unless you have a magnifying glass looking at the screen. Also I like the screen technology, best phone I have ever seen in direct daylight and able to still see it. That is super important for me. Keep the speaker, and I don't care what they call it. For those with weak LTE coverage blame the carrier, not phone that is more of the cause of lack of data in various areas. My HTC picks up LTE, Spark, WIFI better than my LG2. Although I like the LG2 camera better, but I like the HTC interface better and screen, and feel, and....

Izit legit

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
HTC could change its phone naming scheme, next flagship might not be called One (M9)

HTC may be ditching the M9 code name nomenclature. The source is from the twitter account Upleaks which has had a really solid track record as far as leaks go. They had the first live picture of the HTC Nexus 9, first to talk about HTC having a phone with 13mp front facing camera etc, so they seem to have inside sources at HTC. So I think it's a pretty reliable source.

As far as the name change, I think that's good. M8 kinda doesn't make much sense, and the only reason it was added to the One was so that people could differentiate it from the M7, or the original HTC One.

I think it'll be hard for HTC to keep the 'One' branding and come up with names. Maybe they should start fresh and call it another name, like HTC Amazatron, then the next year have it HTC Amazatron 2, then HTC Amazatron 3 etc.

With the One M8, they couldn't name it HTC One 2 as that sounded stupid, so they went with M8, which doesn't make much sense either. I think they should start fresh.

What I'd like to see:

- 5.2" - 5.5" 1080p display (I know the market is moving to 1440p, but I think 1080p is fine and saves on battery)
- Snapdragon 805 (or better if something is available)
- 8 Ultrapixel camera with OIS (maybe ditch the 2nd depth sensor and go with OIS).
- 3gb ram
- 3000+ mAh battery
- Full metal unibody (as always)
- Boomsound speakers (of course)
- Remove that HTC black bar (I know they use it's used for display controllers or whatever, but try to minimise the size of it if possible)
- Android 5.0 with Sense 7
I completely agree with you about the specs, especially the screen resolution of 1080p and the screen size. It seems like every new phone now is a phablet and that's just awful. The batteries of Android phones continue to improve but 1440p displays and such demand more from the phone negating the progress of batteries. 1080p is perfect for a smartphone. Anything with a higher resolution than 1080p belongs on a monitor or tv.

Izit legit

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I want a high quality 8mp camera, and fix your camera algorithm. Screen size no larger than 5.2 inches unless they go with a different display provider or odd resolution which makes the display slightly wider. Snapdragon 810 processor or better, 2800-3200 mah battery. Not much else needs to change. HTC makes a great product.
i agree anything bigger than 5.2 inches i consider a phablet

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Story originally from Chinese website MyDrivers, but posting the Cnet link:
First HTC One M9 rumors suggest 'ultrapixels' get the boot - CNET

5.5" screen 1440p resolution
Snapdragon 805
3gb ram
16mp camera with OIS (ultrapixel and duo camera seems to have been ditched)
3,500mah battery
Boomsound speakers
32gb/64gb/128gb storage

Really good list of features if it ends up being true. The only 'bummer' for me is the 16mp camera. I liked the ultrapixel camera. I liked it a lot. I take a lot of my shots at dinner or out at night with friends and it's sad to hear HTC may be ditching it altogether.

Other than that, everything else make it sound like a rally solid device. Like the screen size, battery size and storage options. I just hope that with a 5.5" screen, they still manage to keep the phone from feeling like a behemoth in the hand.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What about this device?

https://mobile.twitter.com/upleaks/status/540405152767700992

Code name Hima. Also made my HTC

Posted via the Android Central App

Yep, just read that. New leak from Upleaks.

AC's article on it: HTC One M9, codename 'Hima' rumored for March 2015 launch with Snapdragon 810 | Android Central

So it looks pretty beastly. Snapdragon 810 sounds great, 3gb ram is great. Only thing that caught me off guard is 5" 1080p display. I would have assumed the screen would have been QHD, but hey, I'm happy with going with 1080p. Just means better on battery to me, and 5" is fine. Kinda don't want to get a 5.5"+ device. 2,840mah battery is fine to me if the screen is 5" and 1080p. No issues for me there. To me, there isn't a real tangible benefit of going to a 1440p panel. And it would be less apparent on a 5" screen. Kudos to HTC if they do stick to a 1080p panel. Though I wouldn't mind maybe a 5.2" -5.5" jump in screen size.

Also interesting that Upleaks says that it's not the M9, but the next flagship is Hima. Not sure if that means a change in design philosophy or just a change in name.

One thing that I'm not 100% sure about is the camera. 20.7mp camera suggests to me it'll be the same (or similar) camera module on Sony's Xperia phones which I'm not terribly excited about. While they take great day-light shots, they really do struggle when the subject isn't lit or the scene is a low light shot.

Guess we'll see. Excited about Sense 7. I feel like Sense 6 is the best OEM skin on Android. I like it a lot and don't use a separate launcher on my One M8. Just rock Sense.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I fine with 5 inches I have a oneplus one and while I like the phone the size can be a little tiresome. I still like the idea of 1080p, 1440 is great for marketing but I'd rather have higher framerates and better battery. Please HTC just deliver on their camera. That's all I really ask

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I fine with 5 inches I have a oneplus one and while I like the phone the size can be a little tiresome. I still like the idea of 1080p, 1440 is great for marketing but I'd rather have higher framerates and better battery. Please HTC just deliver on their camera. That's all I really ask

The rumour is 20mp camera. I think they'll be killing off the ultrapixel camera.

I personally like the UP camera. Loved the low light performance, but I can see why they would ditch it. Lots of criticism about it, so easier just to adopt a high MP camera like everyone else is doing.

Also, this has leaked: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_himas_display_allegedly_leaked_could_be_52inch-news-10424.php

A new rumour of the Hima with a 5.2" screen, which is a little larger than the 5" screen previously rumoured.

A lot of conflicting information at the moment. Though I do trust Upleaks as a source, they came through (first I believe) with news of the HTC Eye and the first live shot of the Nexus 9 etc. They seem to legitimately have an insider at HTC.

I would like a 5.2" screen. Nothing over 5.5" though, and that's only if the bezels are quite small.

Last edited:

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the HTC One M7. I would like to also see a better camera in the M9. But any screen larger than 5" and I am out. I want a phone in my pocket. Not a tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463