First HTC One M9 Camera Samples

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
lol you're really going to argue this? Does it matter whether or not i said "one of the best" vs "the best"? Point is, you said OIS is necessary for a great camera yet the iphone 6 can still produce great photos without the need of OIS like other mobile phones do. I hate to say it, but i give credit where its due.

Nobody wants bottom basement photos. We expect more from HTC. Nobody cares about iphones on this forum. Eyes rolling....troll.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Nobody wants bottom basement photos. We expect more from HTC. Nobody cares about iphones on this forum. Eyes rolling....troll.

So i'm a troll because i referenced another phone. Let me get back on the topic though from what you posted since you had to deviate from the discussion. Apparently in your eyes OIS is one thing that makes or breaks a camera. Im not denying that OIS is important, it most certainly is. I simply disputed that in some cases OIS isn't needed. But then i was called a troll so...

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
So i'm a troll because i referenced another phone. Let me get back on the topic though from what you posted since you had to deviate from the discussion. Apparently in your eyes OIS is one thing that makes or breaks a camera. Im not denying that OIS is important, it most certainly is. I simply disputed that in some cases OIS isn't needed. But then i was called a troll so...

OIS is definitely a plus, but not a deal breaker. OIS really helps on video more than pictures anyway. I phone is a good example of good phone picture quality without OIS, I agree. Another good example for excellent pictures with no OIS on a phone is the Nokia 808. It arguably takes the best pictures ever on a cell phone, still not matched today.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The iphone 6 doesnt have OIS yet is considered the best point and shoot camera on a mobile device. whats your point?

But the iPhone 6 Plus does and it has even higher remarks for its camera, same with the Note 4 which also has OIS. To me, a flagship smartphone in this day and age should have OIS. Good images can be taken with smartphone cameras lacking OIS, the standard iPhone 6 is a good example of that. Even the S5 is a good example of a camera that can take nice shots and it doesn't have OIS. Having said that, HTC should have used a camera with OIS in their M9. The M8 had a cutting edge ultra pixel camera. Although the resolution count was too low (4MP), it was a step above and beyond that of regular smartphone cameras at the time. Why did they do the same thing with the M9? Instead they did what many manufacturers do: mindlessly up the MP count and call it a day. Adding OIS would have greatly added to the camera's functionality in the M9. Instead it's just a regular ol' smartphone camera now no different that what we have been using the past few years.

OIS also helps when capturing fast moving objects like dogs and children. My fiance's Note 4 has OIS and after using it for a few months, I don't think I could go back to a camera without OIS. I've tried with my S5 but her Note 4 takes clear shots of our dogs while mine doesn't, her Note 4 takes clear shots at night while mine takes grainy shots with overblown colors. I know the Note 4 uses a better image sensor but OIS also helps make those shots better. I even saw an improvement with my Samsung compact mirrorless camera going from a standard lens to one with OIS.

Yeah, it may not be a required feature to get good shots but it does help and really, at this point, there's no reason why HTC shouldn't have included it.

weirdroid

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the picture properties of one of these JPEGs -- is this from the actual M9? The resolution is around 16 MP and date taken is 1/29/15. It does identify itself as an HTC device: "HTC 0PJA10". If it's real is does kind of suck when you zoom in.

Last edited:

weirdroid

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
But the iPhone 6 Plus does and it has even higher remarks for its camera, same with the Note 4 which also has OIS. To me, a flagship smartphone in this day and age should have OIS. Good images can be taken with smartphone cameras lacking OIS, the standard iPhone 6 is a good example of that. Even the S5 is a good example of a camera that can take nice shots and it doesn't have OIS. Having said that, HTC should have used a camera with OIS in their M9. The M8 had a cutting edge ultra pixel camera. Although the resolution count was too low (4MP), it was a step above and beyond that of regular smartphone cameras at the time. Why did they do the same thing with the M9? Instead they did what many manufacturers do: mindlessly up the MP count and call it a day. Adding OIS would have greatly added to the camera's functionality in the M9. Instead it's just a regular ol' smartphone camera now no different that what we have been using the past few years.

OIS also helps when capturing fast moving objects like dogs and children. My fiance's Note 4 has OIS and after using it for a few months, I don't think I could go back to a camera without OIS. I've tried with my S5 but her Note 4 takes clear shots of our dogs while mine doesn't, her Note 4 takes clear shots at night while mine takes grainy shots with overblown colors. I know the Note 4 uses a better image sensor but OIS also helps make those shots better. I even saw an improvement with my Samsung compact mirrorless camera going from a standard lens to one with OIS.

Yeah, it may not be a required feature to get good shots but it does help and really, at this point, there's no reason why HTC shouldn't have included it.

I agree about the Note 4. My GF has one and between the camera and the screen the pictures are simply stunning and they always seem to come out clear and foucsed.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you about the note 4 and OIS.
Your girlfriend's phone does not take great pictures of her dogs because of OIS. OIS don't help with fast moving objects. It prevents camera shake when using slow shutter speeds.

The reason the note 4 does well in low light with dogs (fast moving objects) is due to it having an F2.0 lens. Letting in more light it now uses a faster shutter speed then say the new upcoming m9 that will have an F2.2 lens. The new S6 will have an F1.9 lens with OIS.

Having OIS will help tremendously when shooting in low light and with slow shutter speeds. But it will never freeze action shots like fast moving dogs or kids. That's what faster shutter speeds are for and you get that with a wider aperture.

So long as Samsung doesn't mess up the software, nothing will beat the S6 in both low light and fast moving objects in both stills and videos. That F1.9 lens with OIS is killer.

The m9 on the other hand has an F2.2 lens without OIS. For both low light and fast moving objects it can't compete.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 had OIS back in.... 2012!, sorry HTC but throwing in the new SoC and a Sony sensor ain't gonna make miracles, stop defending HTC, the truth of the story is that they were just too damn lazy creating an app to make themes instead...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 had OIS back in.... 2012!, sorry HTC but throwing in the new SoC and a Sony sensor ain't gonna make miracles, stop defending HTC, the truth of the story is that they were just too damn lazy creating an app to make themes instead...

The sensor is a Toshiba. Which is the greatest evil, to defend HTC or bash. There is no truth since your argument is completely basis and you cannot provide anything factual to support your statements. You've even failed to get basic technical information correct so how can you claim something to be a truth. As has been covered before, the only carryover from the M8 is the use of SLCD3 display tech. Lame agenda attempt is lame.

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
The sensor is a Toshiba. Which is the greatest evil, to defend HTC or bash. There is no truth since your argument is completely basis and you cannot provide anything factual to support your statements. You've even failed to get basic technical information correct so how can you claim something to be a truth. As has been covered before, the only carryover from the M8 is the use of SLCD3 display tech. Lame agenda attempt is lame.

Toshiba you say?, that's even worse, but anyways, the Verge, Pocket now and other have prove that it sucks in low light photography, are you another one who believes that the software of the m9 presented on MWC is not final with the device due to less than 3 weeks to be sold worldwide?...

Small sensor + short exposure time (due to the lack of OIS) = bad low light performance, just ask the Galaxy S5...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Toshiba you say?, that's even worse, but anyways, the Verge, Pocket now and other have prove that it sucks in low light photography, are you another one who believes that the software of the m9 presented on MWC is not final with the device due to less than 3 weeks to be sold worldwide?...

[Small sensor + short exposure time (due to the lack of OIS) = bad low light performance, just ask the Galaxy S5...

It's not quite that simple. Pixel Size, Aperture, Software (to control exposure compensation), ISO, and shutter speed all have an impact to determine if the low light performance will suffer or exceed.

To answer your question...no I'm not. I'm the one with common sense and some basic understanding of how software controls the hardware. I'm also the one with enough common sense to understand that if the software is still being optimized and has not been baselined, then it is not ready for an official release according to HTC's standards.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Simple question. Don't any of these people taking pictures have children? How many static pictures of flowers and buildings can one take? I know I can't be the only one who would like to see the camera performance of a phone with kids running around in them. The quality of those would be the real test.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Simple question. Don't any of these people taking pictures have children? How many static pictures of flowers and buildings can one take? I know I can't be the only one who would like to see the camera performance of a phone with kids running around in them. The quality of those would be the real test.

Right now, the only way to get photos reliably in focus with kids running around is to have a camera with phase detection built in. Your dSLRs have had this forever. But Apple is seems to be the only one incorporating this tech into their phones.
Maybe Samsung is with the GS6, but if so, I haven't seen it being reported on.

Focus speed is the next hurdle for phones to tackle, in their takeover of everyday cameras. I bet within a year we start hearing more companies touting how they will make theirs better, and see more marketing in it.

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Right now, the only way to get photos reliably in focus with kids running around is to have a camera with phase detection built in. Your dSLRs have had this forever. But Apple is seems to be the only one incorporating this tech into their phones.
Maybe Samsung is with the GS6, but if so, I haven't seen it being reported on.

Focus speed is the next hurdle for phones to tackle, in their takeover of everyday cameras. I bet within a year we start hearing more companies touting how they will make theirs better, and see more marketing in it.

Now that Android 5 allows manual controls for focus and exposure time Google should release its version of the Lumia Camera, seriously, there's no better camera experience on the market right now.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not good enough for official release but it's okay for the world stage to see at MWC? Yeah, that's a great motto to utilize. How do they plan on selling phones with constant bad reviews.

I didn't know that they were selling phones at MWC. CORRECT ME IF I'm wrong, but MWC is a platform used to announce future technology. Unless I missed a memo somewhere that stated a manufacturer must demonstrate devices that are ready for official release. That's why I don't even know why they showed that HTC Vive..I mean it wasn't ready for official release but was good enough for the world stage at MWC.

Yeah they won't sell many M9s because I was reading all the bad reviews on Amazon.com and BestBuy.com about how horrible the camera is on the M9 and how they didn't change anything from the M8 and that there wasn't anything exciting about it.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can tell all of you right now that the M9 camera is much better then those pictures show and i know from first hand. And never mind how i know i just do..lol

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Come on man, you trying to say everybody in here didn't tune into MWC in order to see what phone we might purchase next? Otherwise, why tune in?

Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T representatives attend MWC as well. I think they even have booths setup. Based off what manufactures are offering in regard to flagship models, those companies may or may not decide how many phones of a particular type to order. Which means those manufacturers are selling phones to carriers. Business is actually conducted at MWC whether you like it or not.

An agreement between carriers and manufactures regarding which devices will be provided for sale to the general public or businesses is not decided at MWC. It's a technical exposition and is not intended to be the platform used to finalize sales agreements between two or more parties. Where did you get that information from? Unless you can show me a procurement (or other proof of purchase) from a carrier for devices from a manufacturer that was made at MWC, then that theory or claim has no likelihood of being true. Is business conducted at MWC in some form? It's possible that informal business occurs (i.e., solicitations). Are formal sales agreements being made between carriers and OEMs at MWC? No.

I'm going to end my participation in this discussion regarding the items I've addressed. There is no version of this dialogue going forward that will have a productive contribution to this thread. Those notions made here are completely absurd and have little possibility of being substantiated.