First review of the M9 with final software update

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if the lower score is a result of thermal throttling to fix the 810...

We'll see if it affects real world use

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Such a short review, but finally another review

Such a shame they weren't able to fix the overheating issue, but good that they say it doesn't affect the actual use of the device. It still provides a safety hazard to me, especially if the phone was to be left in sunlight or something else while the phone was really hot

The camera is not really that good to me, especially compared to other flagships. I think HTC missed a big opportunity here with this device, and probably the worst out of all the flagships introduced imo. The HTC M9 Plus is the device that should have been introduced as their main device.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I can't wait until today afternoon for the embargo to lift.
The battery life and screen quality are the biggest question marks about this device.

Such a short review, but finally another review

Such a shame they weren't able to fix the overheating issue, but good that they say it doesn't affect the actual use of the device. It still provides a safety hazard to me, especially if the phone was to be left in sunlight or something else while the phone was really hot

The camera is not really that good to me, especially compared to other flagships. I think HTC missed a big opportunity here with this device, and probably the worst out of all the flagships introduced imo. The HTC M9 Plus is the device that should have been introduced as their main device.

Yeah, and it's probably all because of the SD 810. That little chip is gonna ruin lots of flagships this year.
The Z4 rumored to have 1440p on an LCD panel has me even more worried.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Its great to hear they haven't compromised the phone in fixing the "overheating issue"

These numbers don't really give justice to such an incredible phone, the new photo samples we are seeing are fantastic.

The bottom line is that the incredibly smooth operation of this phone over its lifetime makes it well worth the purchase. It's good to know its not going to start to slow down after its first few months like phones running Touchwiz are plagued by.

The battery life will be solid aswell I'm sure, without a doubt better than that of its direct competition.

I'm looking forward to see what other phones get released this year (especially the SD810 powerhouses) to see if anything can dethrone HTC from the top of the podium for its third year in a row - Adam

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That would interest me too. Has Androidcentral gotten a review device already? Can you talk about it in any way?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Are we still using benchmark numbers to make a determination of anything? One from Phonearena and one from this review. If it still overheats, what was the measured temperature and what were the adverse performance ....oh never mind, it's all explained here.

In fact, the city has made firmware version equipped models, the heat problem of concern to many people in the fast-charging in fact still exist, but some of the already associated with the production of heat-related charge, especially HTC One (M9) using cutting thin metal body easier thermal conductivity, so the heat when the grip feel more obvious, but the heat and the performance was generally introduced last year HTC One (M8) equivalent, while the speed of heat dissipated in fact, quite fast.

According to the reviewer, it overheats due to fast-charging and performance was not affected (which would have happened with aggressive throttling). Also, the heat dissipation is no different than what the M8 was doing. If someone can still conclude that this phone overheats due to the past claims (that associated the overheating to the 810) when the reviewer clearly stated that it was related to the fast-charging, then I'm not sure how they are doing anything other than taking the statements out of context and are fueling the flames of preexisting FUD that has circulating regarding the 810. Also, I did state some time back that running processor intensive task while charging the phone will indeed cause it to run hotter than normal and the reviewer seems to have observed the same behavior.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I can't wait until today afternoon for the embargo to lift.
The battery life and screen quality are the biggest question marks about this device.

Yeah, and it's probably all because of the SD 810. That little chip is gonna ruin lots of flagships this year.
The Z4 rumored to have 1440p on an LCD panel has me even more worried.

My next phone will be a Z4 providing it has a SD card slot!
Bye but HTC

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My next phone will be a Z4 providing it has a SD card slot!
Bye but HTC

Posted via the Android Central App

It's rumored the Z4 will get rid of the SD Card slot...the frame leaks of the phone sort of hint that as well....sucks if it removed it. That was originally my 1st choice before the S6