HTC One M9: Android Police Review

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android Police Review

This makes me sad, and is the final straw for me.

I'm going to find an alternative phone and stop following any updates on the M9. It's clearly not the phone for me. Pre-announcement it was almost a no brainer that I'd be purchasing it, but not ALL of the reviews can be wrong. And I'm not prepared to wait it out incase they release improved firmware.

I am currently trying to get my hands on a Harman Kardon M8 as I like the colour scheme, but I just need to check the phone will work in the UK as it was never released here.

My other alternatives are the S6, or get the Oneplus One and wait for this to all blow over.

I wish you all the best with your M9's, if I were to recommend the device to anyone at this stage, it would be to heavy gamer's as this seems like the only use for it.

Peace

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I agree Qualcomm royally [edit by Mod ]HTC and LG this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm going to find an alternative phone and stop following any updates on the M9. It's clearly not the phone for me. Pre-announcement it was almost a no brainer that I'd be purchasing it, but not ALL of the reviews can be wrong. And I'm not prepared to wait it out incase they release improved firmware.

I am currently trying to get my hands on a Harman Kardon M8 as I like the colour scheme, but I just need to check the phone will work in the UK as it was never released here.

My other alternatives are the S6, or get the Oneplus One and wait for this to all blow over.

I wish you all the best with your M9's, if I were to recommend the device to anyone at this stage, it would be to heavy gamer's as this seems like the only use for it.

Peace

Only last year, HTC were being slated for not changing much on the M8 and people were raving about how great the LG G3 and Galaxy S5 was in comparison. In the end, the M8 was voted as one of the best phones of 2014 and the other 2 had issues arising as the months went on.

This year it is looking the same. Samsung have made major changes and obviously the S6, Edge in particular, looks a better bet than the M9. But only time will tell if Samsung have really upped their game, or if the S6 will have the usual Samsung bugs which normally arise after a few months.

My point here is to take these reviews as early assessments and not to write off the M9. If the M7 and M8 were incredible phones, then the M9 is guaranteed to follow in their footsteps, especially as they have made improvements to the brilliant M8.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Peace

You know what, I honestly respect your decision and you've been very mature and open about all of this. I too won't be getting the M9, however I will be getting another HTC device. It's going to be between the Desire Eye or the M8. The only thing that has pushed be away is the battery life. Sans a software update to fix the battery life woes, I'll hold off on the M9. In all honestly this forum and the behavior I've seen in it is the absolute worst I've ever seen in recent memory.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Only last year, HTC were being slated for not changing much on the M8 and people were raving about how great the LG G3 and Galaxy S5 was in comparison. In the end, the M8 was voted as one of the best phones of 2014 and the other 2 had issues arising as the months went on.

This year it is looking the same. Samsung have made major changes and obviously the S6, Edge in particular, looks a better bet than the M9. But only time will tell if Samsung have really upped their game, or if the S6 will have the usual Samsung bugs which normally arise after a few months.

My point here is to take these reviews as early assessments and not to write off the M9. If the M7 and M8 were incredible phones, then the M9 is guaranteed to follow in their footsteps, especially as they have made improvements to the brilliant M8.

Here are the facts or consensus so far that don't bode well. As someone already stated Qualcomm set them behind the 8 ball with that chip. The battery is worse than the M8. The sound isn't as loud or appreciably better than M8, it is warmer than the M8, both will have the same software and run smoothly, the camera is worse because low light is awful and won't be fixed by software. Right now I have no compelling reason to get it and sadly my only choice coming from an M7 is an M8 which is really a sad indictment on HTC's effort this year. Those 300 hours spent polishing it up like jewelry should have been spent elsewhere in my opinion. It is almost like they are trying to distract you from its many faults. Many of which aren't directly their fault but tied to the SOC, but at the end if the day the average consumer who doesn't know their SOC from their sock will blame HTC.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Here are the facts or consensus so far that don't bode well. As someone already stated Qualcomm set them behind the 8 ball with that chip. The battery is worse than the M8. The sound isn't as loud or appreciably better than M8, it is warmer than the M8, both will have the same software and run smoothly, the camera is worse because low light is awful and won't be fixed by software. Right now I have no compelling reason to get it and sadly my only choice coming from an M7 is an M8 which is really a sad indictment on HTC's effort this year. Those 300 hours spent polishing it up like jewelry should have been spent elsewhere in my opinion. It is almost like they are trying to distract you from its many faults. Many of which aren't directly their fault but tied to the SOC, but at the end if the day the average consumer who doesn't know their SOC from their sock will blame HTC.

Mate, I have an M8 (which I don't intend on changing) so I certainly wouldn't benefit from trying to sway anyone away from any issues which the M9 may have. What I am saying is that the M9 needs to be given a chance, rather than being written off based on a handful of early reviews. I have read positive things as well about the M9, so there is every chance that the phone will be as great, if not better, than the M8 going forward. The battery tests are on just 1 phone the reviewer has managed to get his hands on, if I didn't own the M8, I would certainly invest in the M9 as I think HTC make solid devices that tend to remain problem free for a lengthy period of time, not just a couple of months and then the down slide happens (like you often get with Samsungs...)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Mate, I have an M8 (which I don't intend on changing) so I certainly wouldn't benefit from trying to sway anyone away from any issues which the M9 may have. What I am saying is that the M9 needs to be given a chance, rather than being written off based on a handful of early reviews. I have read positive things as well about the M9, so there is every chance that the phone will be as great, if not better, than the M8 going forward. The battery tests are on just 1 phone the reviewer has managed to get his hands on, if I didn't own the M8, I would certainly invest in the M9 as I think HTC make solid devices that tend to remain problem free for a lengthy period of time, not just a couple of months and then the down slide happens (like you often get with Samsungs...)

You seem to be in a bit of denial here. There is not one reviewer who thinks the M9 battery is better than the M8. Trust me, I've read about 25 reviews now. To be honest many have flat out said to save some money and buy an M8. The Boomsound is less. It is 74dB vs 72dB. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I have spoken to members of this forum who tell me it is noticeable when you compare then side by side. The camera low light will not get better. It is a hardware issue not a software one. I am not an M8 owner. I am an M7 owner and you still haven't given me a compelling reason to choose the M9 over the M8. It is regression, plain and simple. The phone may improve with software over time but it's hardware issues will be it's downfall and won't be able to be addressed unless they come out with a 815 chip Phablet this fall with better camera hardware.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm coming from an M8 to and M9 and still waiting on the most important review, the one that will seal the deal for me and make me regard any other review I've seen as void. Its obviously my own personal review, my phone is on a delivery vehicle very close by right now, exciting times. I kind of understand why someone would feel negativity towards the M9 from the reviews online so far but to judge a phone that you would want on someone elses review seems a bit strange to me. If everyone went with my review of black pudding then no one would ever eat the stuff again, its horrendous and possibly the only thing I have ever eaten that i will never eat again - Adam

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm coming from an M8 to and M9 and still waiting on the most important review, the one that will seal the deal for me and make me regard any other review I've seen as void. Its obviously my own personal review, my phone is on a delivery vehicle very close by right now, exciting times. I kind of understand why someone would feel negativity towards the M9 from the reviews online so far but to judge a phone that you would want on someone elses review seems a bit strange to me. If everyone went with my review of black pudding then no one would ever eat the stuff again, its horrendous and possibly the only thing I have ever eaten that i will never eat again - Adam

But if I read 25 reviews of black pudding, and they all said it tastes horrible, it probably tastes horrible

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

But if I read 25 reviews of black pudding, and they all said it tastes horrible, it probably tastes horrible

What Alex said. That`s why I used the word consensus on the reviews. At the same time, I value actual user experiences more so I am still gathering that information before I make a final decision. And as Adam mentioned my own opinion which is the only one that matters in the end.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

I bet I could find 25 reviews saying its the best tasting thing ever, imagine if I relied on those and bought a lifetime supply - Adam

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I bet I could find 25 reviews saying its the best tasting thing ever, imagine if I relied on those and bought a lifetime supply - Adam

Your analogy makes no sense at all.

This car will overheat and leave you stranded. So you will look for positive reviews that adhere to what you think is great about the car, yet neglecting the negative reviews. You would then sue the manufacturer because the car overheated and left your family stranded. If a phone means that much to you then to each his own.

Last edited:

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Your analogy makes no sense at all.

This car will overheat and leave you stranded. So you will look for positive reviews that adhere to what you think is great about the car, yet neglecting the negative reviews. If a phone means that much to you then to each his own.

I'll be the judge of whether the car will overheat and let me down. Not someone else, and most definately not someone who has nothing better to do than regurgitate every negative thing reviews have said without ever owning it themselves.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I'll be the judge of whether the car will overheat and let me down. Not someone else, and most definately not someone who has nothing better to do than regurgitate every negative thing reviews have said without ever owning it themselves.

Nobody is repeating anything. We all knew this upon intial reviews.

[edit by Mod]

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

You seem to be in a bit of denial here.

Lol denial is actually knowing something is bad but not admitting it. So are you actually saying for sure this phone is a failure based on the reviews you have read? 25 reviews and not one of them saying the M9 is better? I just read one just a minute ago that is saying what I have - that the upgrade to last year is not major but it's the best phone out there at the moment.

The phone is far from a revolutionary upgrade last year, which is why I have said on other posts that I will not change from my trusted M8 to the M9. Also, it's not as if I have read 1 review and made the phone out to be greater than it actually is. I often visit several sites before making my own personal conclusion, yes there have been mentions regarding the overheating from the Snapdragon 810 processor, yes there has been mentions regarding the battery life being less superior to the M8. But that's not enough for me to write this phone off.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Nobody is repeating anything. We all knew this upon intial reviews.

Give it a rest. We all know what your opinion of the M9 is, so your contribution at this point is zero. We get it. Now move on already and let people who actually HAVE the phone and can comment on its merits or demerits do so.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

So are you actually saying for sure this phone is a failure based on the reviews you have read? 25 reviews and not one of them saying the M9 is better? I just read one just a minute ago that is saying what I have - that the upgrade to last year is not major but it's the best phone out there at the moment.
Can you provide a link please?

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

See what I mean..I told you these forums turned to trash. The sooner HTC exits the smartphone business, the sooner everything returns to normal.

Please don't suggest such a thing. While HTC might not be the "best" I honestly believe they are responsible for pushing a lot of "innovation" into Android. Like it or not, early Sense UI elements impacted vanilla Android, they were on the cutting edge of pushing display quality and technology, they tried things like the UltraPixel (which while not the greatest, at least got people to think about cameras differently), front facing speakers that sound good, and of course setting a high standard for build quality. Whether you like them or not, HTC has done a lot of good for everyone by raising the bar and making everyone else follow suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC