Right now: M8 or M9?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'd go with the M9, for the following reasons:
For the more expensive price you get 1 year of insurance so to speak with the Uh Oh program, so if you go with insurance on your phone, you may skip the water damage/broken screen part. Though the HTC M8 probably gets the 6 month screen replacement.
Gets another year of support of updates and seeing how "buggy" lollipop this is probably welcomed.
As noted the additional gig of RAM, still get the Ultrapixel camera, and a higher megapixel camera.

I know I read on HTC's site that any M8 purchases from April 10th through sometime in August also come with Uh Oh, but I do agree with the rest of your points.

vtotheinay

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd go with the M9, for the following reasons:
For the more expensive price you get 1 year of insurance so to speak with the Uh Oh program, so if you go with insurance on your phone, you may skip the water damage/broken screen part. Though the HTC M8 probably gets the 6 month screen replacement.
Gets another year of support of updates and seeing how "buggy" lollipop this is probably welcomed.
As noted the additional gig of RAM, still get the Ultrapixel camera, and a higher megapixel camera.

actually jason mackenzie stated in the "uh oh" announcement that any M8 purchased on april 10th and later (M9 release date) will also be covered with "uh oh" protection. regardless, id still say go for the M9 if it doesnt break your bank. the camera tweaks that have been posted from XDA user "hamdir" appear to make photos come out much better, plus HTC will surely push plenty of software updates as well

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Here in the UK the M8 is half the price of the M9. There is no compelling reason to buy the M9 except to say you have the latest version. The M9 has a worse battery, arguably worse screen, equally bad camera, slightly quieter Boomsound. The M9 is ever so slightly shorter but it's also thicker. The 'improvements' are just not worth premium flagship prices. The M8 is getting the full Sense update making the devices almost indistinguishable. The smart money is on the M8, unfortunately.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered a new Verizon M8 from Amazon. 49.99. I'm overdue for a new phone and both Galaxy S6 and One M9 seem to be disappointing in the battery area as well as other things. Coming from a 2012 Moto Razr Maxx HD, the One M8 will still be a nice upgrade. If I decide a year from now I want something else, I can always sell it and buy something outright.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered a new Verizon M8 from Amazon. 49.99. I'm overdue for a new phone and both Galaxy S6 and One M9 seem to be disappointing in the battery area as well as other things. Coming from a 2012 Moto Razr Maxx HD, the One M8 will still be a nice upgrade. If I decide a year from now I want something else, I can always sell it and buy something outright.

You made the right choice imo.

Capable of 7 hours SoT if you read up on how to keep the power usage down.

In contrast, the S6 and M9 are getting around 3 hours SoT

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Lollipop, yes

Google Play Edition 5.1 custom ROM though

And custom SD Kernal.

I would send you a screenshot but towards the end of the day I played GTA and only got 5 hours SOT

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop, yes

Google Play Edition 5.1 custom ROM though

And custom SD Kernal.

I would send you a screenshot but towards the end of the day I played GTA and only got 5 hours SOT
So how is battery life on unrooted M8 with Lollipop? I have never rooted a phone, don't know if I want to start now with a brand new one and possibly void the warranty. :)

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So how is battery life on unrooted M8 with Lollipop? I have never rooted a phone, don't know if I want to start now with a brand new one and possibly void the warranty. :)

Battery life is still great

Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

When I put in my personal preferences, it is the best phone for me. (order the list by custom rating)

If you have no desire to put in a custom rom, then don't do it.

The whole ordeal can be very stressful and cause huge regret for some people.

I personally prefer stock android than sense. So that was my motivation.

You should read up on battery life tips for the M8. For example there were parts of the phone draining battery which I didn't need. Google Now, Location, constant syncing etc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar