Anyone gone from an S6/S6 edge to an M9?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, still shots in daylight are really great. There are little things that I am confident HTC with address to make it even better. I am not worried as much about low light pictures as my kiddo goes to bed before dark so that's not even an issue for this example. However, that video on the M9 though. Damn. SMH. I knew going in but it still is disappointing. The only glaring hole in this device from day to day use, well battery life, but that will get better with Lollipop 5.1.1. That said, the S6 has it's own issues and their issues would interfere with me using that phone the other 98% of the time I am not shooting videos so no phone is perfect. I said this before, but I am not 100% impressed with any phone out so far this year.
But that's still such an important thing for me that I'm not sure I can deal with terrible video. Which sucks, because this is basically my perfect phone otherwise. But that's like my number one thing. The S6 has the least amount of compromise for me, I think.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
But that's still such an important thing for me that I'm not sure I can deal with terrible video. Which sucks, because this is basically my perfect phone otherwise. But that's like my number one thing. The S6 has the least amount of compromise for me, I think.

You say that now, but the S6 has it's own set of problems. Give the S6 a shot. I almost did. The camera on that thing won't let you down.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I started a Google+ account back in the early days, but never really got into it. Haven't ever done anything with it. Maybe I should give it another look.

There's also a thread on XDA that mentions the update. There was not a whole lot of info though minus that there was an update and the basic change log.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You say that now, but the S6 has it's own set of problems. Give the S6 a shot. I almost did. The camera on that thing won't let you down.
I know it does, but nothing as glaring as the camera. I had one for awhile, but had to return it because of some weird billing issues with AT&T. I liked it a lot. I like everything else about the M9, especially the price. But I'm not sacrificing video and pic quality. If they get some things straightened out I'll gladly go to an M9. I'm not Blair Witching my daughter. :)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I started a Google+ account back in the early days, but never really got into it. Haven't ever done anything with it. Maybe I should give it another look.

It seems to drain my battery so I stopped using it for awhile but always go back to it. Once you start following groups and Google+ starts making suggestions and tailoring your feed based on what you like. It is actually a pretty good source of info to stay informed.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I know it does, but nothing as glaring as the camera. I had one for awhile, but had to return it because of some weird billing issues with AT&T. I liked it a lot. I like everything else about the M9, especially the price. But I'm not sacrificing video and pic quality. If they get some things straightened out I'll gladly go to an M9. I'm not Blair Witching my daughter. :)

So get off the pot and go get you an S6. That is what is great about having choices, you get to pick what fits your needs best.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So get off the pot and go get you an S6. That is what is great about having choices, you get to pick what fits your needs best.
I ordered one. I just wanted to see some real world thoughts on the M9. I don't trust all the reviewers. Everything seems biased and oftentimes when they say something is bad or awful I don't seem to mind that much. The M9 looks awesome, it honestly does, and I think I can handle the pictures - but that video sounds terrible.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one. I just wanted to see some real world thoughts on the M9. I don't trust all the reviewers. Everything seems biased and oftentimes when they say something is bad or awful I don't seem to mind that much. The M9 looks awesome, it honestly does, and I think I can handle the pictures - but that video sounds terrible.

The M9 is an awesome looking phone. Functionality is great for me. The camera is not critical for me. I tested it and it is fine. I did notice that the flash is awfully weak in comparison to other phones I've had. Heck, I have had my M9 for over a month now and haven't even shot a single video. I do notice that there appears to be a mic on backside near the camera. You may want to make sure this is not being interfered upon with your case, if you are using one.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The M9 is an awesome looking phone. Functionality is great for me. The camera is not critical for me. I tested it and it is fine. I did notice that the flash is awfully weak in comparison to other phones I've had. Heck, I have had my M9 for over a month now and haven't even shot a single video. I do notice that there appears to be a mic on backside near the camera. You may want to make sure this is not being interfered upon with your case, if you are using one.

That's the thing. Do you have kids? If you don't have kids then you aren't likely to use that feature nearly as often so it is a non issue. Kids grow up fast and I can completely understand not being tied to a device for two years that can't capture those moments in an acceptable fashion.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing. Do you have kids? If you don't have kids then you aren't likely to use that feature nearly as often so it is a non issue. Kids grow up fast and I can completely understand not being tied to a device for two years that can't capture those moments in an acceptable fashion.

That's exactly it. My daughter is changing daily, and I'd like to be able to capture any moments with her that I can. The main reason I was looking at something new is that my Nexus 6 just doesn't open the camera and snap a picture fast enough. My wife has an S6 edge and she can get the shot almost every time. By the time my Nexus takes a picture, the moment is usually gone. If you get it in time, the picture quality is fine, but it's getting to that point that's an issue.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I fully understand that. My kids are grown now. I do have a couple of grandkids, but I don't see them nearly as often. I have posted this opinion before. If I had really special moments that I wanted to capture that are gonna be keepsakes, I wouldn't be relying on a phone camera in the first place. I understand that these cameras on phones have evolved to a point where they can take some really nice photos and video, but in now way are they meant as a replacement for a camera or video recorder, even though they are getting closer. For pics that is, because video still has a long way to go. If you insist on using your phone, than it only makes sense to get the phone with the best camera in it.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly it. My daughter is changing daily, and I'd like to be able to capture any moments with her that I can. The main reason I was looking at something new is that my Nexus 6 just doesn't open the camera and snap a picture fast enough. My wife has an S6 edge and she can get the shot almost every time. By the time my Nexus takes a picture, the moment is usually gone. If you get it in time, the picture quality is fine, but it's getting to that point that's an issue.

I had a Nexus 4 and can tell you that is software related. In fact, I have the google camera installed on my M9. When I tested it, it does the exact same thing. It is very slow to take the picture. You should try one of the alternate cameras that are often recommended from the market. I wanted to get Nexus 6 myself, but the screen is too big for my liking.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I know that I've posted before that I feel that the M9 camera has been more than adequate for me and getting some good photos of my kiddo. Low light camera shots can be edited using other apps to look very good. As far as launching the camera app, the M9 has been good. Either using quick launch or simply clicking the camera app button the camera has been quick to pull up. Like Neo stated, video can be rough especially if you are actually moving. If your standing still and just panning, it's acceptable. The EIS on the M9 is very disappointing considering the iPhone uses EIS as well and it is much better than the M9's.

I am curious though if you have considered the LG G4. From what I've read it has a very good camera and the aperture allows it to take some really good low light shots. Either way if camera worries are the main concern for a phone the S6 and G4 should not disappoint. The M9 under low light situations and video capture can take some extra work to get quality results but otherwise is very capable.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I fully understand that. My kids are grown now. I do have a couple of grandkids, but I don't see them nearly as often. I have posted this opinion before. If I had really special moments that I wanted to capture that are gonna be keepsakes, I wouldn't be relying on a phone camera in the first place. I understand that these cameras on phones have evolved to a point where they can take some really nice photos and video, but in now way are they meant as a replacement for a camera or video recorder, even though they are getting closer. For pics that is, because video still has a long way to go. If you insist on using your phone, than it only makes sense to get the phone with the best camera in it.

I agree that an actual camera is the best way to take photos, however I don't always have my DSLR on me. It really only goes to special events like birthday parties, the zoo, etc. I always have my phone on me though, so that is what gets used at places like the backyard, playground/park, ad hoc times inside the house, etc. I don't always have the time to run and get my DSLR when I'm at home nor am I going to risk it getting damaged or stolen at the park/out and about, so 95% of the time, my phone is the quickest and most practical way to capture the moment.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about it and I have a note 4.

Mostly for a few reasons.

1. Size note 4 is a tad too big
2. Miss the shortcuts on the lockscreen, (disabled on note 4)
3. Headphone port on the bottom (this is important to me)
4. Sense (don't care much for touchwiz)

However, I have a extra battery and external charger from samsung and about 6 cases so it's a big lose.

But still considering it.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Looks like AT&T is charging more for the 32GB S6 than the M9, whereas Verizon is charging the same price for both.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your review! I saw you gave a dig to the M9 battery life (and all 2015 phones) but how was it in comparison to the S6? I'm seeing a number of posts that the M9 is very efficient in idle (Standby).

From what I've heard, the M9 is better than the S6 in idle time and total use. Problem with the M9 is that it doesn't give you screen on time. Most people I've heard say it makes it through a day and people claim between 4-5 hours of screen on time - but that's just an estimation.