First impressions

Tikiki

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
New to the forum but not to phones. Im not a power user nor do most of the 'smart' features of a Phone go on my top 3 list. I want a phone that works. No missed calls or text.. paramount.

I had the G1 a week after launch ( loved it ). Running with T-mo with the 4g slide next..then z1 experia and finally the z3. Coming from the z line will give you an indication where im coming from.

The Z3 is a great unit. Superb pics and simple UI. But the reception was poor. I missed calls and texts way too often and keyboard was unresponsive after the proximity sensor was active. The Z1 never had this problem..so its not T-mo or the location. I traded it in for another Z3 and same problem. So It was time to switch brands. M9, Apple 6 or the S6 was recommended as having the best reception. The HTC felt the best in my large hands..so M9 won.

The M9 has better reception and call quality over my Z3.
I can hold it with my Hand instead of my finger tips. ( also using tech21 thin body protector )
The camera seems quicker..but the pictures are not as high quality as the Z3.
Speakers blow the dual front of the z3 out of the water ( but Z3 can be in the water ).
The UI is snazzier but really not that important to me ( its fine now that I have it laid out for me ).
The data exchanges seems quicker.
Battery falls way short of the Z3. I could go almost 5 days without charging with light use with Z3. I will have to see how it goes after a week or so of charging the M9 ( may get better after using the battery ).

All and all I think the M9 is a great Phone. The extra 'smart' amenities work just fine and while the battery is my only hesitation, I just have to treat it like all the other phones Ive had ( plug it in a charger when I go to sleep ).

Honestly I would probably Try the S6..however I think im done holding my cell with my fingertips. How the M9 just fits my Hand is really the reason Im not even going to try another unit. Sure other phones might be just a tad better at resolution..or HP..or whatever. Ultimately I just want a phone that works like a phone. This One works and fits like a glove..so its for me.

Hope this post fits the format of the forum.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The M9 looks like a solid phone. The vast majority of people would get on really well with this phone. It has arguably the best user interface on Android and it's very snappy.

The main issue surrounding the M9 is whether it is good value over the M8 (which is half the cost). The changes are insubstantial. This links in with the S6 because the M9 costs the same as the S6 but the S6 offers much more - better processor(?), class-leading camera, class-leading screen, Samsung Pay etc. The screen and camera will sway a lot of people. Whereas the M9 has a more fluid UI and better speakers. I think it looks more premium too but that's subjective. I don't consider the M9 good value for money though. If it was a £150/$200 cheaper, then perhaps but it doesn't seem to justify high-end flagship prices.

Take the price factor out, and yes this is an excellent device.

Tikiki

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Bodzm.

The main issue surrounding the M9 is whether it is good value over the M8 (which is half the cost). The changes are insubstantial.

From what I understand ( I could be wrong ) Is that the M8 does not support all of T mobs' Bands. M9 and S6 does ( same with my ex-peria ). Coverage and service is my top priority. If the M8 could get reception as well as the M9 will..then I could see how the changes could be insignificant.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Bodzm.

From what I understand ( I could be wrong ) Is that the M8 does not support all of T mobs' Bands. M9 and S6 does ( same with my ex-peria ). Coverage and service is my top priority. If the M8 could get reception as well as the M9 will..then I could see how the changes could be insignificant.

I'm on tmobile with the M8...my phone works great indoors and out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tikiki

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Working indoors is not typically the problem Nada. Its having it work inside our metal storage buildings ( or even close by ) that becomes the problem. If I see someone on a phone inside I can guarantee that they have verizon. If Im correct the M8 will not work on the newer tmobile bands that can penetrate these suckers.

Also I would feel going from my Z3 to an M8 would be a downgrade. Hell, I picked the Z1 over the M8 and freaking Loved that phone. Honestly..If the Z3 worked as well as the Z1 I would not have traded it in for the M9. If it wasnt so damned buggy it would be IMHO the 'perfect' handset for me.

As far as the cost ratio..well personally Im not concerned about that. If the thing works well then its worth every penny. If I miss a call Its very possible that I could lose the amount of the phone itself.

Is there a better reception/call handling unit out there? Point me to it. If this thing does not work like I expect it to..then after over 10 years with Tmo im going to have to start giving Verizon my money..

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What apps do you need? The two best manufacturers for call quality are BlackBerry and Motorola. If you don't need a big screen, look at the BlackBerry Classic. Messaging just can't be beat on the BB. All your messaging in one place, including Facebook, Twitter, email, sms, mms, Whatsapp, etc. If you do want a big screen, the Moto X and Nexus 6 both have great call quality.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The M9 looks like a solid phone. The vast majority of people would get on really well with this phone. It has arguably the best user interface on Android and it's very snappy.

The main issue surrounding the M9 is whether it is good value over the M8 (which is half the cost). The changes are insubstantial. This links in with the S6 because the M9 costs the same as the S6 but the S6 offers much more - better processor(?), class-leading camera, class-leading screen, Samsung Pay etc. The screen and camera will sway a lot of people. Whereas the M9 has a more fluid UI and better speakers. I think it looks more premium too but that's subjective. I don't consider the M9 good value for money though. If it was a £150/$200 cheaper, then perhaps but it doesn't seem to justify high-end flagship prices.

Take the price factor out, and yes this is an excellent device.

I went with the M8 for several reasons, mainly battery life. Both M9 and S6 have widely reported issues with battery drain. With the M8 I've been off charger almost a day and a half and my battery is still at 53%. And that is with normal use, syncing 3 email accounts, wifi, bluetooth, gps etc always on. I have never once felt the phone get warm. Also I have read about issues with dropped calls with Verizon LTE advanced calling, haven't had any issues with that on the M8. From what I have read, HTC took a step backwards with the M9.

Screenshot_2015-04-23-08-49-51.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-23-08-50-16.jpg

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I went with the M8 for several reasons, mainly battery life. Both M9 and S6 have widely reported issues with battery drain. With the M8 I've been off charger almost a day and a half and my battery is still at 53%. And that is with normal use, syncing 3 email accounts, wifi, bluetooth, gps etc always on. I have never once felt the phone get warm. Also I have read about issues with dropped calls with Verizon LTE advanced calling, haven't had any issues with that on the M8. From what I have read, HTC took a step backwards with the M9.

View attachment 173304View attachment 173305

You seem to have barely any screen on time though. If the m9 was used as little as that, s6 too perhaps, they'd both probably last just as long

Posted via Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You seem to have barely any screen on time though. If the m9 was used as little as that, s6 too perhaps, they'd both probably last just as long

Posted via Android Central App

Exactly. I've had almost a full 24 hours on my M9 and just hit 50%.

Attachments

• 1429813142294.jpg
    1429813142294.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 105

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 173304View attachment 173305

You can't keep going by "what you read"

People will ***** more than compliment and most people don't even go on forums...

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

People will ***** more than compliment and most people don't even go on forums...

I have the M9. I had the M7 and my wife has the M8. I have to agree with MarkyMark. The battery life is the biggest disappointment on this phone. The M8 can easily go a day and a half. I am struggling to make it to a day. The heat issues have been fixed. It doesn't get past 45 celsius since the software upgrade but is warmer than the M8 and about the same as the M7. I am keeping it but this definitely isn't a two year phone unless Google/Qualcomm/HTC address the battery drain in 5.1.1.

Interestingly, I had both the silver and Grey versions. Kept the Grey. The silver definitely felt hotter at the same temperature. ie. 40 celcius. Not sure why that is.

Last edited:

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is a big disappointment on all phones. Battery technology has not been able to keep up.

No. Not all phones. That's a cop out. This phone is bad. S6 is also not very good.

iPhone 6+, OPO, M8 are examples of good batteries that consistently stretch into the next day.

That's all I was expecting which in 2015 shouldn't be elusive when it was the norm in 2014.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well in my experience, the battery life on my M9 has actually been pretty good (but not excellent). One caveat is that I'm on AT&T and maintain good signal strength for the most part. I can last through the day with ease with my usage pattern. I'm sure others on networks such as Sprint have not been as fortunate if they consistently encounter weak signal strength.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

That's silly. Absent going out and buying the phone yourself, how else do you find out about it but to read about it? If you buy a car or a TV or a set of speakers, don't you read reviews first? Pretty much without exception the reviews of the M9 said battery life was not as good as the M8. And battery test sites like GSMArena confirmed it. Don't shoot the messenger.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I really like this phone, but I have to agree with other that are saying the battery life is ok at best. On standby/idle its just fine. I had a day where I didn't really use it much and was able to get close to 2 days out of it. But anytime I really push it I get anywhere between 12-15 hours with SOT barely touching 2-2.5 hours.

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's silly. Absent going out and buying the phone yourself, how else do you find out about it but to read about it? If you buy a car or a TV or a set of speakers, don't you read reviews first? Pretty much without exception the reviews of the M9 said battery life was not as good as the M8. And battery test sites like GSMArena confirmed it. Don't shoot the messenger.

Every phone forum has a "battery" thread..... every... single.... one....

For each one I've tried... the common belief was usually overblown...

The s6 battery is good... first hand experience.... but I don't sit there staring at my screen for 6 hrs of my day.... wtf are people doing by spending 1/3 of the day on the phone.... I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those few who make 6 figures on their phone.. but they are rare....

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Every phone forum has a "battery" thread..... every... single.... one....

For each one I've tried... the common belief was usually overblown...

The s6 battery is good... first hand experience.... but I don't sit there staring at my screen for 6 hrs of my day.... wtf are people doing by spending 1/3 of the day on the phone.... I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those few who make 6 figures on their phone.. but they are rare....

Well said, for me a phone needs around 3 hours max SOT since I am sometimes out seeing customers, sending emails, using maps, etc. So far with the M9 I am seeing on average according to GSam 4h16m per complete charge of SOT which to me is great.....considering my old S3 was getting just over an hour SOT if I was lucky...sitting in wifi all day, etc.

Now of course I am speaking about an average day, not a weekend where I might play Leo's Fortune, or watching Netflix, etc for an hour as of course that is going to kill the SOT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae