HTC M9 camera settings

daredevil26

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to how people are tweaking their M9 camera settings and for what circumstances.

What changes in sharpness, EV, iso etc are you using and for what type of picture, ie dark indoor shots, bright daylight etc, so I can save some presets. Any help is appreciated, photos to go with your presets would be great too!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I suggest that you go to Kodak's site and read a few of their manuals on how to take pictures. Then get an app that allows you at least ISO and EV settings, like Camera FV-5 Lite if you want a free one. Then set the camera for the shot. Having a preset for "bright sun", when your subject's face is in deep shadow, will give you a great scene - with someone with a black oval for a face.

Pictures taken with presets look like it. (At least, if the situation allows it, you want to bracket a few exposure settings, and that would take every possible combination being preset if you wanted to do it with presets.) A little practice and you should be able to set the camera to pretty close in about 2 seconds, and bracket a few shots on either side in another 2 seconds. Since the "film" we use today is pretty cheap (like free), use the Ansel Adams method of being a great photographer - take tons of pictures. (Most of his never got printed, because he could see, from the negative, that they weren't worth printing.)

Babe Ruth held the home run record - but he also held the strike-out record. The more times you swing, the more chance there is of hitting a good one.

A great photographer can take great pictures with a shoebox, a pinhole and a piece of film. A bad photographer can't take a decent snapshot with a Hasselblad.

daredevil26

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you I will take a look at that app. I was wondering if anyone had some presets that were working for them and in what conditions. A cheat sheet for me to copy if you will. To be honest I rarely take photos but the few I've taken have gotten mixed results, some great, some grainy. I would experiment more myself, but its been muggy and rainy these past few weeks so the opportunity hasn't arisen.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you I will take a look at that app. I was wondering if anyone had some presets that were working for them and in what conditions. A cheat sheet for me to copy if you will. To be honest I rarely take photos but the few I've taken have gotten mixed results, some great, some grainy. I would experiment more myself, but its been muggy and rainy these past few weeks so the opportunity hasn't arisen.

ISO set to max400 and ev to -.5 seems to be pretty good for most occasions. I still haven't gotten to text much with low-light though. Not sure how well those will work. Oh, and you don't need to dl an app to change those settings as @Rukbat suggested. They're built in. I'll update in a bit with a forum post on camera settings from XDA.

Edit: Here ya go! Photos Taken With M9 - Post #274 - XDA Forums
Toward the end he gives some suggested settings for different situations I believe.

daredevil26

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
For dark shots I have shutter speed at 1/6 set from manual mode. Read that article by XDA and set sharpness at -2. I have auto focus and flash too. Iso 200 and wb 6750. I'll test it a little more and see how it turns out

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hamdir "- HDR in low light hold to lock focus on a light source for amazing HDR results"

This actually works well. I was really surprised. It literally looks like the lights are on. Does look a bit washed out though unless you do the other tweaks like sharpness and ISO 200 to 400.

Omar JeMo

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I was testing all the settings available on the M9 to find out the best possible for low ligth shot (change sharpness, saturation, crop, resolution, EV, Max Iso, everything!) and my conclution are:

1.-Manual Mode with ISO 400 and Shutter Speed 0.5, as the maximum low light shot possible with steady hands (lower speed impossible without a lot of blur)

2.-Manual Mode with ISO 100 and Shutter Speed 2, as the best low light shot possible but only with tripod or leaning against something.

With the last one a achieve details that with my bare eyes I couldn't see. :cool:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hamdir "- HDR in low light hold to lock focus on a light source for amazing HDR results"

This actually works well. I was really surprised. It literally looks like the lights are on. Does look a bit washed out though unless you do the other tweaks like sharpness and ISO 200 to 400.

I didn't think you could change ISO or sharpness in HDR mode?