New camera software

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if it is available to everyone but it is available on the Developers unit. Have not had time to test but it gives raw mode.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carkid367

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I got the update for my M8, and saw that the M9 would have RAW. Can anyone try it out and see if it makes a difference as far as the capabilities of the sensor?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it is available to everyone but it is available on the Developers unit. Have not had time to test but it gives raw mode.

I have the unlocked version. I assumed I would get updates with the Developer's Edition, but I didn't see anything about an update.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It is an update to the camera app through the play store.

I'm a dummy. I forgot they update their apps through the Play Store. Thanks. I'm wondering though, why some of my updates happen automatically while I'm sleeping, and others don't. It seems they'd all update or none. I have it set to auto-update over wi-fi, but not all do.

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I converted my AT&T M9 to the Developer Edition and I just received that update. I haven't messed with it yet but it has some serious controls for the camera. I'll upload a screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-30-10-18-39.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-10-18-39.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-10-18-58.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-10-18-58.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 101

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm a dummy. I forgot they update their apps through the Play Store. Thanks. I'm wondering though, why some of my updates happen automatically while I'm sleeping, and others don't. It seems they'd all update or none. I have it set to auto-update over wi-fi, but not all do.

Sorry should have included in my post it was an update from the play store.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Took 3 pics, first is with camera with factory settings, second is with new raw camera and third with camera with changed settings from tips from forums. Gather your own conclusions.

Attachments

• 17450.jpg
    17450.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 96
  • 17452.jpg
    17452.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 17453.jpg
    17453.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 91

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a photography expert by any means, but isn't RAW just a format for advanced editing? It's not supposed to really affect the actual shots taken is it?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Took 3 pics, first is with camera with factory settings, second is with new raw camera and third with camera with changed settings from tips from forums. Gather your own conclusions.

I'm not sure which photo is more true to life, auto or the settings you changed, but I prefer the auto honestly.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I converted my AT&T M9 to the Developer Edition and I just received that update. I haven't messed with it yet but it has some serious controls for the camera. I'll upload a screen shot.

Strange. I updated my camera app on my Verizon M9 and I didn't get the advanced options in RAW mode. What's worse is that all the pictures I have taken in RAW mode have come out with the white balance completely blown out. I'll post the pics when I get the chance.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just so you know. When you take a raw image it will save 2 files, 1image in the gallery that has been converted to a jpeg and another 1 that is a dng file that will be saved in DCIM folder under 100media. You will have to find an app to open the dng file. Also the dng files are large, maybe 35 mb or so. The jpeg in the gallery is only about 2.75 mb and is provided as a sample to view the original dng file and will not be the true quality of the dng file.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's a very quick and dirty side-by-side as to what happens with the .JPG compression and post-processing in the M9
Normal_v_Raw.jpg
Normal_v_Raw_2.jpg

Here is what it looks like after opening/post-Processing the RAW in Lightroom and exporting it to JPG vs Original JPG Capture. So this is apples to apples since both are .JPG format

Normal_v_Raw_Post_Processed.jpg
I've concluded that although it's possible to get good results with JPG compression, I'm not sure if HTC is able to update the software to achieve the same results based on what they are doing with their version of capture to JPG

Last edited:

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What do I need to do to work with the dng file as most programs can't open it?

Photoshop Express is one app you could use. I got it just today and it has a lot of nice adjustments. There are a few things within the app that you need to purchase in order to use, but most of what comes free seems to be fine enough.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering how it is that you can get manual settings in the RAW camera mode. I uninstalled the update and reinstalled it, but for some reason I still can't see the manual mode option while using the RAW camera.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a regular DSLR camera. That would probably help to give a proper baseline for what the image should be with a real camera.

On a side note, any fans of Zoe will notice it is now gone as a camera option.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a regular DSLR camera. That would probably help to give a proper baseline for what the image should be with a real camera.

On a side note, any fans of Zoe will notice it is now gone as a camera option.

Yes I do. A D750 and D300. I'll do a comparison of all 3 in RAW format. My only problem is trying to get the output resolution as close as possible. I'll try to get both normal and low light shots of the same subject.