New M9 Owner

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just (somewhat impulsively) bought an M9 today, after my Nexus 4 died last night. The N4 may be salvageable, but since I'm self-employed and use my phone constantly for work, my old iPhone 3G just isn't going to cut it for more than a day. Plus, it's a nice tax write off. I got the T-Mobile version, and to offset the full price pain, I opted to sign a contract and spread payments out. Really wanted another Nexus, but the N6 was just too big for me.

So far I like it, but haven't messed with it too much, other than a basic setup. The HTC was on my shortlist of potential new phones anyway. I'll likely be poking around here a lot!

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So far I like it, but I have yet to really dig in to the customizations that Sense has built in, and see how Blinkfeed works. The phone has a solid, high quality feel to it, something that is high on my priority list. I like the metal back, and it feels very well made.

I really like the ability to customize the quick settings menu, and the front facing speakers sound great for a phone, definitely better than the N4 was in that area. I'm a professional musician and music teacher and the N4's rear facing, and somewhat anemic, speaker was an annoyance. There are a few little things I'm discovering that I like, such as the shortcut to add apps to folders. So far, pretty smooth and haven't noticed any lag, although I don't like the way the app drawer scrolls. (one page at a time, vs a touch sensitive continuous scrolling). The included notification sounds are really quite good, and enjoyable to listen to.

What I don't like, is the T-Mobile bloatware, which I expected to be there. But, it has taken me a while to disable it, aside from TMo Visual Voicemail, which I do use. I haven't used the HTC added apps much yet. The "home/out/work" widget is unusual. Not sure how I feel about that, but the downloads and suggested apps folders on the widget were a bit annoying.

Have not used the camera yet. It's funny how people seem to place so much importance on the camera. In reviews, the M9's camera didn't seem to do as well, but then, neither did the N4, and I thought it was just fine. Screen is good, though not quite as sharp as the Nexus 6.

So overall, enjoying it so far. Hopefully I will continue to do so.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello there. I've had my phone for two weeks now and am also coming from a Nexus 4. I also wanted to get a Nexus 6, but found the screen to be to big. So far, I'm loving the M9, but I also had an HTC phone before the N4, so I am accustomed to Sense. I really like the double/triple tap to wake and double tap to sleep from the lock screen. I added a sleep button on my home screen, so now I don't need to use the side button ever, except to power down or restart. Apart from disabling apps, if you go to the apps menu and tap the three dot menu at the upper right corner, from there you can hide app shortcuts from the menu.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You can disable the notifications you dont want to see by long pressing it then tap the ! on the right and you can block it

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
hows the overheating on the HTC M 9 have any of you guys that this got or had the HTC M 9 had any overheating ???

I have the AT&T version. When I first got mine, it didn't over heat, but it did get fairly warm. Ever since receiving an OTA update from AT&T a few days ago, it barely gets warm now. I think having a metal back cover may just let you feel the heat more than a plastic back cover. I experienced this with my Nexus 4 because it had a glass back cover.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
hows the overheating on the HTC M 9 have any of you guys that this got or had the HTC M 9 had any overheating ???
I've heard of them getting warm but not "overheating". . Mine gets a little warm with intense games but that's it.

Via my HTC One M9...

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine has gotten fairly warm, but I have been using it quite heavily just to get it set up the way I want and figuring how things work. Man, I REALLY wish I could delete T-Mobile's bloatware, but that would require root, and as I understand there isn't a way to unlock the bootloader on the carrier. If I'm paying full price either way, next time I will likely buy the unlocked or developer version direct from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to wait this time. Some of the HTC included apps are nice though, I just wish I could delete what I don't want.

Interesting thing about the available colors. On the HTC site, it shows gunmetal, and silver, with the gold band around the edge. I purchased the silver/gold one, but the T-Mo rep said there was also a silver/silver version they didn't have, but I did not see it on the HTC website. Wish I could've gotten the gunmetal one, but this still looks pretty good. I should probably try something different, anyway.

Also, I dont see why the camera has gotten bad reviews. I'm not much of a photographer, but it seems ok to me.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's something I'm wondering - Is there a way to control the color of the notification LED for native apps (SMS, missed calls, voicemail etc) or would I need a different application to handle that, i.e. - lightflow?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm done with the S6. Going to give the Nexus one more shot, but I'm sure I'll be on an M9 soon. Good to see some people out there really love this phone. The camera is the only thing holding me back, but I'm almost thinking this is some reviewer bias.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here's something I'm wondering - Is there a way to control the color of the notification LED for native apps (SMS, missed calls, voicemail etc) or would I need a different application to handle that, i.e. - lightflow?

You can't control the color of the notification LED. I don't even think 3rd party apps will work to change it.

You can remove the downloads and suggested apps folders from Sense Home if you want to, but I just chose to remove the entire widget because I prefer a less cluttered home screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo