Group Texting Issues

zarin

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I recently bought an M9 and have been loving most of the features. I've used a WindowsPhone for the past ~3 years and wanted something different. For years now, I've been a part of a group text with a few friends. There were no issues with it on my old phone, but I'm running into some issues with the M9. For example:

• When I open the group text, there's a bubble that says "Converting to MMS message" every time. This happens even if I just backed out of the message and re-entered it.
  • Every time I send a message, a loading icon pops up in the middle of the screen. After the loading icon goes away, the message that I sent has another icon inside of it that stays there for a few seconds. Eventually, that icon goes away too
  • Some of the messages that are sent to me by my friends come through as individual texts with a download link. If I follow the download link, it appears in the group text
  • EDIT: Scrolling through the group message is extremely choppy. Everything else on this phone has been smooth, this is the only thing I've noticed that doesn't load well

Is this typical behavior? Is this something to do with Android or the M9 in particular? I've never run into any issues like this before.

Thanks for any help!

wildclip

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Group text messages send as mms do this is normal. What phones are your other friends using?

Posted via the Android Central App

zarin

May 18, 2015
Visit site
One's using an S5 and the others are using various iPhones.

Like I said, I had none of these problems on my WindowsPhone. I just find it strange that group texts would be so slow compared to normal text conversations. So this is an Android issue, not an M9 issue?

SYMAWD

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
When you receive a message, it will take you to that contact's individual conversation instead of the group conversation. My past 2 HTC phones did that too, so I guess it's normal. Group messages are always MMS.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
When you construct a message that you are sending to multiple recipients, you have the option of sending as a group message (MMS) or as individual messages to each receipt (SMS). When a receipt replies back to a group message (MMS), they have the option to reply to the group or just the sender. How this is handled will vary, depending on which carrier the recipient replying is with. I mostly see messages added directly in the thread, but at times I do have to do a message retrieval as you describe. All this is normal behavior.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
When you construct a message that you are sending to multiple recipients, you have the option of sending as a group message (MMS) or as individual messages to each receipt (SMS). When a receipt replies back to a group message (MMS), they have the option to reply to the group or just the sender. How this is handled will vary, depending on which carrier the recipient replying is with. I mostly see messages added directly in the thread, but at times I do have to do a message retrieval as you describe. All this is normal behavior.

Maybe normal, but not ideal. It should just work for the OP. Something obviously broken here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Maybe normal, but not ideal. It should just work for the OP. Something obviously broken here.

I use a 3rd party app (ChompSMS) and I can force group messages to use MMS always -- No issues then. Group messages usually always use MMS.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I use a 3rd party app (ChompSMS) and I can force group messages to use MMS always -- No issues then. Group messages usually always use MMS.

Prolly isn't the place for it, but what's the difference between Chomp and Textra? Aren't they made by the same developer?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Prolly isn't the place for it, but what's the difference between Chomp and Textra? Aren't they made by the same developer?

Yes. They're pretty much the same. ChompSMS was his first app.. I have just always used it. I am not sure what the major differences are.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

The stock messaging app on the M9, by default, creates group messages as a MMS, but if you go into the three dot menu, you have the option to send as individual messages. Also when replying to a group message, if you go into the three dot menu, you have the option to reply only to the individual that originated the group message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol