Best texting/messages app?

GoliathIAm

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Go SMS Pro. It allows me a little more freedom than the native Messages app. Anyone have any other messaging apps they prefer, and why?

Posted via the Android Central App

ramandeepghuman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Go SMS Pro. It allows me a little more freedom than the native Messages app. Anyone have any other messaging apps they prefer, and why?

I use the google messenger app I can quick reply from notification so I like that. Ya like the previous person what do you mean by freedom??

GoliathIAm

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I can add profile pictures to threads. Custom text tones built in. The picture attach UI blows though. Change colors or different people with custom led notification colors for different people. And a bunch of other stuff. I'm looking for something with quick compose though. Similar to BiteSMS for jail broken iOS devices.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I usually root my phones and use modded versions of the stock messaging app, either by someone else or myself. However, even though I have never used it myself, I've often seen Textra SMS as one of the most recommend messaging apps.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I usually root my phones and use modded versions of the stock messaging app, either by someone else or myself. However, even though I have never used it myself, I've often seen Textra SMS as one of the most recommend messaging apps.

Textra is one I've heard alot about too. I've read in comments on the main page people are leaving it because the developer announced he was switching to a subscription model for the pro features. I haven't heard it as much lately, but for a while HandCent was pretty popular as well.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Textra is one I've heard alot about too. I've read in comments on the main page people are leaving it because the developer announced he was switching to a subscription model for the pro features. I haven't heard it as much lately, but for a while HandCent was pretty popular as well.

I paid for Textra because I never found anything I liked as well. It works great, all the features I want. Not sure how comfortable I am recommending it though now that you have to pay to remove ads. Although, for an app you use as much as a texting app, the small price is not much to ask.

Lamensterms

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I used Go in the past. All those extra features you mentioned were great. But I eventually got tired of setting it all up. The other great Go feature is the ability to create scheduled messages. I have had to switch to a separate app for that now that I mainly use the stock Htc app.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded textra and its really nice. I don't see any ads and didn't pay for a pro version though so maybe the Dev changed their mind.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Textra question. How much is it to remove ads (I don't mind paying as long as it's not super pricey)? And what's the max file size for MMS messages?

Carkid367

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Textra is the app I use as well. Been using it since before it changed and even when it did change, I paid the $.99 to remove the ads. And you can have the limit set for whatever you want on mms.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I like chomp, and I think it's by the same people who make textra, but I'm fine with native m9 texting for now. It would be nice if you could just pick your own bubble colors.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I paid the .99 cents for Textra. If you just downloaded it and are new to it there is a trial period without ads. But to me it is well worth the .99 cents. Plus it's a one time fee. Includes all future upgrades. I've been using Textra for almost 2 years now.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying Textra right now. I like it ok so far. I have mine set up to show only the contact for incoming text (none of the message). Kind of bums me out I can't tap on my 360 to read the message. Either I have to show a preview on my device, or text notifications are basically useless for Android Wear.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You can. Go to Messages > Settings > General > Change Bubble Colours

The level of customization is pretty crazy with Textra. I changed the theme/bubble colors/font, maybe more. Can't remember. I liked the way it looked, but it was too out of place with Material Design/Sense 7. Ended up having to simplify it.