Stuck in recovery loop after failed 5.1 update (HTC One M9), how can I make it?

A

AC Question

Stuck in recovery loop after failed 5.1 update (HTC One M9)

Hello –

I have an HTC One M9 (AT&T) which is stock and unrooted. Apparently a failed 5.1 update while traveling abroad has caused my phone to get stuck in recovery mode. Rebooting the phone or powering down simply brings the phone back to recovery. I am hoping there might be a way to update a stock ROM or force an OTA update without losing any of the internal data on the phone. Alternatively I was hoping I could pull the photos from the phone before wiping or returning the phone.

My only options on this screen are to:
reboot system now; apply update from ADB; wipe data/factory reset; wipe cache partition; reboot to bootloader; power down; view recovery logs; apply from phone storage; apply from sd card

I have tried all options multiple times, but I have not tried a factory reset because all of my pictures from my trip are still on the internal memory of the phone.

Unfortunately I never enabled USB debugging before the device failure, so I believe my options with ADB and “pulling” the files are limited. Nonetheless, my phone won’t communicate effectively with my PC or laptop while in recovery mode, my PC and laptop only recognize that an Android device is connected while in bootloader or download mode.

I have been told by HTC that my only option is to download and update the ROM that is available on their website to the phone, but this will erase all data on my phone.

Is there any other possible option for me that can kick my phone out of recovery mode, or extract the photos from the internal storage? Is there a different ROM or OTA update I can use that will retain my data once installed?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Stuck in recovery loop after failed 5.1 update (HTC One M9)

I had that same problem and was able to get out of it with the help of the online support. They basically told me to reboot the system now. Then I had to do a google checkin. Do you have your old phone? I think the best option is to back up to your old phone using a file transfer, and then doing the factory reset. The only way I get all my photos and data back the way I wanted it was through the transfer of info using my One x+. I'd recommend the google checkin first, as I did both before being able to get the update to work. Doing a back up using the Sync Manager took too much time and was extremely annoying.

Hello –

I have an HTC One M9 (AT&T) which is stock and unrooted. Apparently a failed 5.1 update while traveling abroad has caused my phone to get stuck in recovery mode. Rebooting the phone or powering down simply brings the phone back to recovery. I am hoping there might be a way to update a stock ROM or force an OTA update without losing any of the internal data on the phone. Alternatively I was hoping I could pull the photos from the phone before wiping or returning the phone.

My only options on this screen are to:
reboot system now; apply update from ADB; wipe data/factory reset; wipe cache partition; reboot to bootloader; power down; view recovery logs; apply from phone storage; apply from sd card

I have tried all options multiple times, but I have not tried a factory reset because all of my pictures from my trip are still on the internal memory of the phone.

Unfortunately I never enabled USB debugging before the device failure, so I believe my options with ADB and “pulling” the files are limited. Nonetheless, my phone won’t communicate effectively with my PC or laptop while in recovery mode, my PC and laptop only recognize that an Android device is connected while in bootloader or download mode.

I have been told by HTC that my only option is to download and update the ROM that is available on their website to the phone, but this will erase all data on my phone.

Is there any other possible option for me that can kick my phone out of recovery mode, or extract the photos from the internal storage? Is there a different ROM or OTA update I can use that will retain my data once installed?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12