Dim screen brightness issue for certain apps

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an strange, occasional problem with screen brightness that is very frustrating. I'm hoping someone has an idea where to start diagnosing. This problem has survived a factory reset and flash from Android 5.0.x to 5.1.x. I had also recently cleared the partition cache.

My screen sometimes goes very dim. I keep brightness on Auto. However, when this happens, cycling brightness to full makes no difference to the dim screen. Furthermore, the screen is dim only in some instances, such as:
  • Chrome
  • Nova Launcher home screen
  • Some other apps (can't recall which)

In other places, I see full brightness. For example, the notification shade is in full brightness (or whatever Auto sets it too).

The other day, I was outside in bright sunlight. My browser suddenly went dim, almost unreadable. I clicked home - dim. I pulled the notification shade down - full brightness. Pulled notifications back up - dim again. On restart, everything is fine again.

I use Screen Filter, but it was not on. In fact, turning it on darkens the screen even further.

Very strange. Any ideas where I can start hunting? I don't know enough about Android to know what could be causing this. Could it be a bug in Webview or something? Thanks!

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
More info, since it just happened again. I was wrong about the notification shade staying bright.

The following are examples of things that stay with the correct brightness:
  • Gmail
  • Wikipedia
  • Hangouts
  • Google Play

The following are examples of apps that dim:
  • Chrome
  • Notification shade
  • Evernote
  • Nova launcher home screen
  • Recent apps cards

If I open the camera app after the dimming starts, then exit, the screen stays temporarily bright for a while (extra bright for all apps though). Then, things return to the bright / dim extremes as above.

Any ideas?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I would boot into Safe Mode and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, it's an app. If it does, it might be a sensor, although I'm not sure why it happens in some apps and not others. Nova did have a bug awhile back that caused dimming, but that was fixed a long time ago. I haven't had that issue for quite awhile. Make sure your screen protector isn't interfering with your sensors. Keep us updated if you find anything, or not. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I would boot into Safe Mode and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, it's an app. If it does, it might be a sensor, although I'm not sure why it happens in some apps and not others. Nova did have a bug awhile back that caused dimming, but that was fixed a long time ago. I haven't had that issue for quite awhile. Make sure your screen protector isn't interfering with your sensors. Keep us updated if you find anything, or not. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It can't really be a faulty sensor as that would not cause selective dimming by app.

Safe mode probably wouldn't help me. The problem usually takes a day or several to show up after a boot. I can't run safe mode with no apps for several days and hope I ran it long enough to prove something.

My current plan is to wait for it to happen again, switch to Sense launcher, and force kill Nova. Perhaps that will rule out the launcher as a culprit? Other than an Android bug, I'm struggling to come up with any alternative cause of this problem.

If that doesn't shed light, I'll try Lux or any other ideas that come along.

CD Hill

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same problem, but it seems to happen with a single app for playing Bridge: Bridge Base
Not sure if it has persisted through the Lollipop update last week

Cyberdroids

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as mzman, although I'm using stock Android 6.0.1 and Google now launcher on Nexus 5. Screen dims to the lowest brightness on the same apps and otherwise. Any update on finding a solution?

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the Gravity Screen app installed?

This was completely cured for me with uninstallation of the Gravity Screen app. One of the app's updates from summer last year was the culprit. I had used the app for several years prior to that without experiencing this problem.

I have since added an "off" soft button in the bottom navigation bar, and enabled HTC's "Auto" screen dimming timeout. I also have the double-tap on/off gesture enabled. I'm happy with the results and don't miss Gravity Screen too much.

Cyberdroids

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes, indeed! And I suspect turning on the Smart lock support may be the culprit. I really like this app though.. keeps me from pressing the defective Nexus 5 power button. I could try posting an app review on Google play. I guess I'll have to look into the alternatives you mentioned. Thanks for replying :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie