Honest view...is this phone very good?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've been looking at reviews for this model and I'm worried what people have said about the camera and overheating issues? I've got the m8 but have been looking at the Galaxy s6 which is no no and the z3 didn't impress me. I've only had eyes for the m9 but I'm slightly put off by people's negative comments. Would people actually recommend this device? I don't care for the camera as I don't and rarely take pictures and rarely play games.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your happy with the M8 stick with it.
I got the M9 and have some buyers remorse. I like the M8 screen better.
Battery life on my M8 was not so great with 5.0.1 but when i converted it to a GPe it was fantastic.
Heating was not much of a problem on my M9 but i did not have quite as good of battery life.
I too am not a camera fanatic and the few pics i took with both my M8 and M9 seemed fine to me.
The fact you rarely play games probably will help you with an M9 as i feel that is where most of my battery drain comes from.
Its still a good device but in my opinion, its not much of a step up or forward for the price.
Now if your in an area that can take advantage of B2 or B12 for coverage then thats a big plus for the M9 as the M8 ONLY supports B4. (the M9 also has B4 plus the other 2 newer bands.)

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The m9 is a very good phone it was given a very bad billing. I love mine . I'm not a gamer or a real picture taker . I have both m8 m9. I wouldn't trade them for the rivals

Sent from my HTC One_M8

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I am enjoying the heck out of my M9. Since the last update I have no complaints. . Even before the update I had no issues. Some folks only whine and complain. For every person that posts a negative item their are at least 10 that are happy.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the difference is not big, but there is a difference between the two devices.
The M9 has better sound (the M8 still sounds great though), and has faster CPU. The camera is also much better, especially after the latest updates. The design is very similar and a matter of taste, what you like more. I find the M8 more beautiful.
The screen of the M9 is for me better than on the M8, especially the color calibration. The M8 had too warm colors and the M9 went the opposite direction.
With the 5.1 update HTC gave us a color temperature tool, so now we can set the display to a cooler or warmer temperature.

I wish HTC had done more to make the M9 a success:
  • Provide a better quality screen, on par with the Samsung S6 (not from a resolution perspective)
  • Make the device lighter
  • Provide better battery life. It is still good, but it could be better.

So yes, if you are on a budget and do not want to have the latest, the M8 is still a great phone. The M9 is slightly better.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
See if your carrier will let you try one for a day. Just got back from vacation with wife both kids (one 15 and one 19 have the M9, wife had M7). I have M8. No question, camera is better on the M9 except in very low light. Details are much sharper on the M9. M9 is a snappier interface/device, ever so slightly. Battery is pretty equivalent and both are dramatically better than the M7. Multitasking is better on M9. My M8 is the Harman Kardon, and I like the sound better with the speakers and with headphones, but really, they are pretty equivalent and to each his own with sound quality. In the hand, the slimmer M9 feels a little better to me, and the power switch on the side is a nice improvement. Selfies are better on the M9 (kids care.) Got the M9 for wife 2 days ago free on lease from Sprint. Easy upgrade, and she is pleased. We are an HTC family, for better or worse. Kids have had the M9s since May, and overheating is not an issue for them. They are power music and video streamers, too. Daughter has a Speck case, son and wife with Tech21 cases. RAW camera mode is just fantastic on the M9 by the way. I agee with Petvas that the M9 screen is slightly better than the M8. Overall, M9 is better than M8 by a reasonable margin (and will be updated if HTC stays solvent) and is a big upgrade from the M7. M9 is definitely sleeker and slimmer than the M8 but not in a big way. Go try one out for a day.

Dachillefx

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much appreciated. Is it true the battery drains faster than the m8?

In my opinion yes. I use mhl to watch movies. With the M9 I can barely get a two hour movie before getting in the red zone. With the great M8, I could watch at least 2 movies. Both using Wi-Fi. Since the update battery is better and the M9 is definitely running cooler. Overall M8 will be the better of the two especially once Marshmallow gets released.

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion yes. I use mhl to watch movies. With the M9 I can barely get a two hour movie before getting in the red zone. With the great M8, I could watch at least 2 movies. Both using Wi-Fi. Since the update battery is better and the M9 is definitely running cooler. Overall M8 will be the better of the two especially once Marshmallow gets released.

I've had the opposite experience and find the battery to be better on the M9 than the M8

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the m8 and connector where u plug your charge cable wouldn't work so instead of paying to fix it I upgraded to the m9 . I also got it from sprint on a lease for free and I really love it it's fast and easier to hold and I really like the gunmetal gray it's darker than the m8 and my wife got one also but she got the gold and silver and she loves it to .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power