Google Contacts Sync app quietly sends a crazy amount of ads to phone

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been using AdGuard to see if it improves my web browsing and battery life of my phone. I made an interesting discovery. Google Contacts Sync app was near the top as far as ads blocked. It has blocked over 600 ads so far. What is going on there? It is the worst system app as far as ads by a country mile.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question. Google apps I thought would have them like Google App and Google + don't have any adds. The only google app that has more ads is Chrome.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Is adguard available from the play store? I can find it.

Posted via the Android Central App

No. Google removed it because it was costing them too much money in lost advertising. We are the product remember (-;

http://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

I had to side load it from their website. So far the battery life has improved. The Chrome browsing is WAY faster, presumably because it isn't loading ads. There are some ads that are getting missed on certain sites but I just send feedback and they add it to their library. They use a VPN but it isn't a third party one. It is VPN that stays on the phone. I am using this and Webguard right now, that is available on the Play Store( for now). There are plus and minuses to both. I like the fact that they both remove ads from any browser as well as apps themselves.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I use Adguard on my Win 10 PC and love it. No more ads. Never really thought about using it for my M7. But I might give it a try.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I use Adguard on my Win 10 PC and love it. No more ads. Never really thought about using it for my M7. But I might give it a try.

It even has a built in firewall and let's you give certain apps through it or block all of them. It also tells you the traffic of every app as well as what traffic was blocked and how many ads. Which is how I found out about Google Contacts Sync.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos