New M9 owner - any hints and tips to save battery/improve performance?

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Not on the latest update...the older version that allowed us to fine tune what features it handled was the best... Then HTC took that away... N all we have now is one switch. The CPU management isn't good under powersaver mode so you can leave that alone.... You could also go to settings>more>data usage... Restrict background data on the apps you don't really use. This will prevent frequent syncing also cause less wakelocks

Posted via my ViperM9

I got a couple questions about this built in power saving mode. If I think of more I'll edit this post.

1. How can you say that the CPU management isn't any good,it would make sense to have the feature built in if it didn't work good enough to use it.

2. Give me a brief description/explanation of the differences between the "sleep mode mobile data battery saver and the one under the main power saver switch. The sleep mode one let's me set a start and stop time to turn off data or let it "learn automatically"

Posted via the Android Central App

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been covered countless times on forums, especially xda... From the experience of many M9 users...please feel free to browse the forum. All I can tell you is that letting the power manager handle the CPU resulted in slightly worse battery life. If you noticed, before the stream of updates we could choose which components where handles by the power saver... Unchecking the CPU proved to be most beneficial. The software plus the SD810 just weren't working well together... When we switch to power saver... The phone relies more on the a53 cores... Even for heavy tasks,the issue was this keeps the cores awake longer so that the tasks are completed, wasting power...Sadly depending on 8 a53 and a57 cores causes as much power usage... Because the a 57 cluster is very power hungry...if you ask me 8 cores is overkill especially with that a57 cluster. I get great battery life running the snapdragon 808 setup on my device,disabling 2 a57 cores. Tasks are completed faster and the cores don't stay on too long, also only powering 2 a57 cores seems beneficial. My phone rarely throttles and Stays cool...try getting rooted and flash the viper rom, it has the feature that let's you disable cores...

I always have the sleep mode on, it learns your habits to the extent that I don't ever lose any functionality... So you can leave that checked....

Screenshot of active temps and it's really hot here, you should fare better in cooler climates...

Posted via my ViperM9

Attachments

• 71011.jpg
    71011.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 71013.jpg
    71013.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 71012.jpg
    71012.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 42

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Without any mods, use 2Gonly mode to save power when you least require super fast internet... Its good enough for emails n chatting, this will definitely improve battery life. I use it all the time and use WiFi when I require fast internet... But when am out and an about without WiFi I use an app called intelli3G that automatically switches to power saving 2g when my screen is off n back to 3G/4G when my screen comes on... But it requires root access and exposed.

Posted via my ViperM9

BartLuke94

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Without any mods, use 2Gonly mode to save power when you least require super fast internet... Its good enough for emails n chatting, this will definitely improve battery life. I use it all the time and use WiFi when I require fast internet... But when am out and an about without WiFi I use an app called intelli3G that automatically switches to power saving 2g when my screen is off n back to 3G/4G when my screen comes on... But it requires root access and exposed.

Posted via my ViperM9
Are you sure intelli3g works with m9 + custom rom?

Inviato dal mio HTC One M9 utilizzando Tapatalk

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure intelli3g works with m9 + custom rom?

Inviato dal mio HTC One M9 utilizzando Tapatalk
I wouldn't know, am using the O.G ONE M9 international, and xposed plus intelli3g works on viper rom, so does amplify and powernap.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Turning off data roaming if you have it on will improve active temperature.. And power consumption... Give this a shot.

Posted via my ViperM9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes... Am currently not roaming and it helped... Only issue is that signal in my area isn't very strong and am not sure that is a factor.

Posted via my ViperM9

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's been covered countless times on forums, especially xda... From the experience of many M9 users...please feel free to browse the forum. All I can tell you is that letting the power manager handle the CPU resulted in slightly worse battery life. If you noticed, before the stream of updates we could choose which components where handles by the power saver... Unchecking the CPU proved to be most beneficial. The software plus the SD810 just weren't working well together... When we switch to power saver... The phone relies more on the a53 cores... Even for heavy tasks,the issue was this keeps the cores awake longer so that the tasks are completed, wasting power...Sadly depending on 8 a53 and a57 cores causes as much power usage... Because the a 57 cluster is very power hungry...if you ask me 8 cores is overkill especially with that a57 cluster. I get great battery life running the snapdragon 808 setup on my device,disabling 2 a57 cores. Tasks are completed faster and the cores don't stay on too long, also only powering 2 a57 cores seems beneficial. My phone rarely throttles and Stays cool...try getting rooted and flash the viper rom, it has the feature that let's you disable cores...

I always have the sleep mode on, it learns your habits to the extent that I don't ever lose any functionality... So you can leave that checked....

Screenshot of active temps and it's really hot here, you should fare better in cooler climates...

Posted via my ViperM9
I know this thread is almost a year old but what do you think about power saving mode since we now have Android marshmallow and soon to be Android N?