Are memory cleaners necessary??

JasonGallagher

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I've heard mixed opinion whether memory cleaner apps are needed, curious to know others' experiences with performance specific to the M9.

I've used Clean Master, CCleaner, and most recently using DU Speed Booster. If you've used any of these or similar you'll know they advise they're clearing xx amounts of available ram, deleting caches, etc which presumably speeds up and optimizes performance.

I'm drawn in by their gui's that show what they've found and subsequently released, but I've also found I'm now using them daily (either with their app notifications or on my own), and it turns into a kind of addiction to 'clean' my device.

So my question: are they really necessary? I've heard that modern android OS releases are much more efficient at managing ram and clearing cache, and these tools aren't as necessary as they perhaps once were. I don't notice any definitive improvement, but my head tells me it's 'working' haha and so the cleaning addiction continues. I've also heard some devices like Samsung might potentially need these apps as they get more 'gunked up' whereas HTC does a better job utilizing resources and overall fluidity.

What are your experiences with or without using these memory cleaners? Do you use them and do you see noticeable improvements? Any downsides with using them? Any preference on the lightest ones to use that do the job best?

Or should I just reboot my device every day/few days to clear ram/cache and relax on the device cleaning addiction? Haha

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not only are the not necessary (on any device), they are actually more harmful than beneficial.

This post is about 20 months old but it has the same point now: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-10-1/373222-ram-usage.html#post3525940

As that post is pretty long, I'll summarize with the most important point: If you are manually closing an app or two in order to troubleshoot an app that is misbehaving, then it makes sense; otherwise it is better to let Android do its thing.

JasonGallagher

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I thought I remembered reading something similar awhile back but couldn't find it.

I'll uninstall DU Speed Booster and hopefully won't get a twitch that there's optimization potential I'm missing out on haha.

Cheers

Posted via the Android Central App

abelkov

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Also note that those apps usually never stop working in the background. This causes faster battery drain. I am lazy person, so one in a month i install clean master to delete all cash at once and then i uninstall the app.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
...one in a month i install clean master to delete all cash at once and then i uninstall the app.
Sorry, but that is a very, very bad idea. First, you should never, ever install Clean Master or anything else by Cheetah Mobile. See the information in links below.

Second, whatever Clean Master is doing or supposedly doing, you don't need. It:s actually making your Android sick. Do not use!

For even more information check out this post and the links in it. The first link is a long thread but covers a lot of good information, both technical and non-technical:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid/547286-ram-problems.html#post4524678

You might read this too:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4655557

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon