Why has my HTC One M9 suddenly started displaying the incorrect time?

A

AC Question

HTC One M9 Suddenly Displaying Incorrect Time

So today, my phone alarm wakes me up at the right time, but when I unlocked it to look at the time, it's behind by 1.5 hours.
When I restart my phone, initially it displays the correct time again, but after a second it changes back- here's the kicker - it still thinks I'm in the right location (St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada)

Some other information that if it's not relevant is at least curious:
Last night after midnight I had a text conversation with a phone number I didn't know. They messaged me out of the blue saying that they knew me, but all the responses were generic so I think it was some sort of a scam... even though they didn't ask for anything. The area code for the number came from Quebec, which is... 1.5 hours behind us here. Coincidence? Have I been hacked or something?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M9 Suddenly Displaying Incorrect Time

Welcome to Android Central! You didn't open any links or attached files that might have been included in that text message conversation, did you?

Go to Settings>Date & Time. Is Automatic Date & Time and Automatic Time Zone still turned on? Does it display the correct time zone there?

MasterMattyJ

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! You didn't open any links or attached files that might have been included in that text message conversation, did you?

Go to Settings>Date & Time. Is Automatic Date & Time and Automatic Time Zone still turned on? Does it display the correct time zone there?

Hi, same guy from the topic question.
So it seems like the ultimate problem is that my phone suddenly detects itself as being in the wrong time zone. There were no links or anything in the aforementioned messages, so I suppose it's highly unlikely that this is the cause. What happened overnight to make this happen?
Anyway, I turned off the automatic detection, so I have it set to the right time zone. That solves almost all the problems except that the weather and time widget is still displaying the incorrect time. I don't suppose there's an overall fix for the underlying problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Are you anywhere near that time zone? If you're near the border of a time zone, it's possible the phone is latching onto the wrong cell tower. Otherwise, contact your carrier and see if they have any ideas.

c0de_junkie

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I too am having the exact same problem that you are having to a T, although I did not receive any odd text msg's, for me, it all started to happen when daylight savings kicked in the other day and I have not been able to figure out why this is happening or how to fix it... Were you able to fix your issue? and if so, then how? thanks...

randomeqt

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I think it may be a problem with HTC. For me I live in Windsor, Ontario. When I use the HTC weather/clock widget, even if I set the time zone manually, it will still display the wrong time regardless if the phone time is correct. Changing the setting from "current location" to Windsor, Canada (by typing it in and; does not say Ontario) Still gives the wrong time. By switching to London, Canada the time does display correctly. Leading me to believe something, maybe an update, has lead the phone to believe Windsor, ontario is now Windsor, in the atlantic.

c0de_junkie

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

OMG LOL I live in Windsor Ontario as well lol, small world eh.... and I am having 100% the exact same issue.. this is crazy, I have tried all the same things and had all the same results as you have... been racking my head off the walls since November 1st daylight savings time trying to fix it.. the only way I was able to fix it was by getting an app from the play store called TimeZone Fixer and the other is called ClockSync... TimeZone Fixer said that my roms timezone files were outdated so it updated them and I was hoping it would fix the problem but it did not. ClockSync works, but its just a band aid, and it seems even with its option to sync the clock on the phones bootup, I still have to go into the app every time I boot the phone and I have to turn an option that is already on to off and then back to on again and then all the clocks system wide all show the correct time for as long as the phone stays on or until a reboot... that has been the only way I have been able to remedy the issue, but like I said, it is only a band aid for the issue, not a fix...

randomeqt

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Okay, I have figured it out. The last update for HTC service pack has done something and messed the time zones up, not sure for how many or just for us in Windsor. I uninstalled the updates and switched auto time zone on, and switched the widget back to current location and the time has stayed the correct time! Unfortunately it keeps showing a pop-up saying app will not run without it being updated and leaves a icon on the status bar and lock screen. Hopefully HTC will see this or their error and fix it ASAP.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

OMG LOL I live in Windsor Ontario as well lol, small world eh.... and I am having 100% the exact same issue.. this is crazy, I have tried all the same things and had all the same results as you have... been racking my head off the walls since November 1st daylight savings time trying to fix it.. the only way I was able to fix it was by getting an app from the play store called TimeZone Fixer and the other is called ClockSync... TimeZone Fixer said that my roms timezone files were outdated so it updated them and I was hoping it would fix the problem but it did not. ClockSync works, but its just a band aid, and it seems even with its option to sync the clock on the phones bootup, I still have to go into the app every time I boot the phone and I have to turn an option that is already on to off and then back to on again and then all the clocks system wide all show the correct time for as long as the phone stays on or until a reboot... that has been the only way I have been able to remedy the issue, but like I said, it is only a band aid for the issue, not a fix...

Hmmmm...I am from Canada but not Windsor and I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday at 2:48pm but it was actually 1:18pm. Good thing I was in my car and saw that clock because it threw me way off until it corrected itself when I changed the city I was in as I was driving. A definite bug that needs fixing.

Uzzy66

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

I also live in Windsor, Ontario. And I discovered, last night that it was latching on to the Newfoundland time zone. I think the location is messed up. I had even tried to set the time manually, and it went back 1.5 hours, instead of ahead. Also, I have been having the exact same problem with my old HTC One M7! I turned it on, to use as a clock it's doing the same thing. The problem is the location puts Windsor, Ontario in the wrong time zone. I turned off location, and manually set it to Detroit, MI and so far, so good. On my M7, I put it in airplane mode and used it as a backup alarm, in case the current phone didn't work right. I thought it was confusing Windsor, ON with Windsor, NS but Windsor, NS is in the Atlantic time zone, not the Newfoundland Time Zone, so it's even weirder.

sherryperdue

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I am getting the same ting happening here in Burlington.
Seem fine when I am in my house in Hamilton but when I am here at work it happens. My phone did an update on Dec. 3rd 2015 and this has been happening since. I have contacted HTC and they are suppose to be getting back tome this afternoon.

Uzzy66

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
A week or two ago, I tried redownloading the HTC Service Pack, and it was not fixed. Last night (Dec. 7) I tried again, and so far, my phone has been keeping the correct time.

Debs Wombat

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Good grief. I know this is an old thread now, but just FYI? I'm in Vancouver, had the same problem - and believe me, this phone has never been in St. John's. Apparently it WANTED to be. :)

CaroCH

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I've just found this,even though its old, but feel I must add my comment, as my M9 is doing exactly the same as from about a week ago - early May 2016, for no reason that I am aware off. Whatever I try, and I've done all the things mentioned, it refuses to keep the correct time and now my 7 am uk time wake up alarm goes off at an ungodly time in the early hours and I cannot get rid of some Japanese town location. I wondered if maybe it was manufactured there! I will be pursuing this with HTC.