News Republic App replacing Blinkfeed is awful

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Please tell me how to do that Fernandez? Thank you, Cordelia
Cordelia, do not install the News Republic app, check off only Facebook as content to be shown, and in settings turn off interest-based ads. Once you set it up this way, go to blinkfeed and swipe away everything that is not Facebook and then refresh it. From that point on, blinkfeed should only show Facebook content that contains multimedia items.

Last edited:

ecksmc

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi I haven't got an HTC but I do use news republic app, the app is great with a years subscription I have no ads £2.50 a year isn't bad considering all news sources it pulls into one app that and Appygeek app, for all tech and gadget news and you have all news in 2 handy apps

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi I haven't got an HTC but I do use news republic app, the app is great with a years subscription I have no ads £2.50 a year isn't bad considering all news sources it pulls into one app that and Appygeek app, for all tech and gadget news and you have all news in 2 handy apps

If you had an HTC phone before you would know about Blinkfeed. It did everything you talked about except we didn't have to pay to remove ads that didn't exist in the first place. That's the point of this thread. This app is redundant and actually a step backwards in many ways.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't you guys know you can still use blinkfeed,you just got to have newsrepublic installed and you don't have to pay to remove ads?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Don't you guys know you can still use blinkfeed,you just got to have newsrepublic installed and you don't have to pay to remove ads?

Don't you know the only news feeds available in Blinkfeed now is Facebook, Twitter and Google+. I never used those and used Blinkfeed own aggregated news feeds. Now you are forced to install New Republic to get those other sources. Again it's a step backwards for all the reasons I've already mentioned.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yup, pretty much it has been reduced to a widget for social media.
What i meant was,once you install news republic and setup your topics,you don't have to go into the actual newsrepublic app to read. You can just use blinkfeed from there on because all the topics you chose from newsrepublic will be there.

normsland

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
What i meant was,once you install news republic and setup your topics,you don't have to go into the actual newsrepublic app to read. You can just use blinkfeed from there on because all the topics you chose from newsrepublic will be there.
Thanks for the hint. Yes I can see the one news subject that I've setup in Newsrepublic after unsubscribing from all the stuff I did not want. In BlinkFeed newsrepublic needed to be added as a service. I'll see how I get along. Hmm...

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

No. Blinkfeed no longer exists. Every you open an article you are opening News Republic. That's why there is a bit of lag and why there are options like reading the article to you. You can't read later anymore though.

rajandroid

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it me, or Blinkfeed now again allows other sources. Out of frustration, I just uninstalled NewsRepublic. Then, tried a bunch of News Widgets. Was not really satisfied. So, went back to Blinkfeed, but didn't have the heart to install NewsRepublic one more time. I clicked on the plus sign to Add Content, and surprisingly after a bit of lag, the good old options of categories, and the new channels showed up. I am back to my happy self.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it me, or Blinkfeed now again allows other sources. Out of frustration, I just uninstalled NewsRepublic. Then, tried a bunch of News Widgets. Was not really satisfied. So, went back to Blinkfeed, but didn't have the heart to install NewsRepublic one more time. I clicked on the plus sign to Add Content, and surprisingly after a bit of lag, the good old options of categories, and the new channels showed up. I am back to my happy self.
Yes you can read topics in view,but if you click on one you want to read more about it tells you to download newsrepublic

Doug Warner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a new-old stock M8 to replace my M7. After doing many updates (ending up at 6.0), Blinkfeed Highlights page contained two social media sign up cards, and something about Newsrepublic.
However, after restoring from the adb backup I took from my M7, Blinkfeed was restored to it's former glory. Even with News Republic disabled in setup, Blinkfeed still retrieves content.
However, I did get a warning to transfer my "subscriptions" (whatever those are) to News Republic within 30 days (as shown here: HTC Sense Home update retires BlinkFeed news aggregate service | HTC Source ) So, it may stop working after then if HTC shuts off their feed.
I looked into News Republic, but they require setting up an account, which I'm not about to do.

Last edited:

Sam122345

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
You guys can download blinkfeed RSS manager at playstore it will add custom topic to ur HTC blinkfeed
IT is less intuitive interface than news Republic but no ads
Works for me

bimjob

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
If I can't find a way of removing the horrible, rotten News Republic, I am getting another phone. And rest assured it will NOT BE HTC - ever again. It is totally intrusive, and I will avoid ANY company that supports News Republic.
Shame on HTC for allowing this travesty to happen. SHAME!!:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2