News Republic App replacing Blinkfeed is awful

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Again. Look at the original post. I installed Adguard on my phone. I know the data traffic of every app on my device and have the ability to block ads from any app on my phone. I blocked 144MB of ad traffic and 5,000 individual ads in less than 24 hours of using News Republic. Much of the ads from apps are subtle but it slows down your phone, kills your battery and if you are on limited data plans eats that quietly.

Are you seeing ads in blinkfeed, the News Republic app, or both? There is only 1440 minutes in a 24 hr period, so that would be 3-4 ads per minute for every single minute. I don't doubt there are ads, but it seems as if Adguard may be misreporting. Also, if these ads are specific to News Republic, wouldn't the app have to be open for the entire 24 hour period? My understanding is the app doesn't open until you tap content in blinkfeed.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Are these adds in blinkfeed or in the News Republic app when it opens it?

News Republic IS Blinkfeed now. You can't revert back to the newsfeed without it unless you use redundant sources you already have like Facebook, Google+

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Cant find adguard in the Playstore.

Google doesn't want it on the Playstore because ads is how they make money. You have to download it from their website.

This app has been a revelation. I no longer have to pay for the ad free versions of apps.

I ended up buying a lifetime membership from Adguard. Well worth it for the added speed and battery life it gives my device without having to root.

Somasonic2k

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
My main gripe with this is I'm seeing a lot of content I didn't select to see. I use Blinkfeed for light and fluffy stuff when I'm waiting for something and have a few minutes to kill, you know, gadget news, movies and TV, stuff like that. Now I'm seeing some pretty heavy stuff that I didn't sign up for, and I'd rather digest that sort of thing when I'm in the right frame of mind for it, not have it shoved at me whenever.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't know anyone ever used Blinkfeed. I never set it up on my M7 or now on my M9 as its a hog and redundant for that matter.

Turn it off and get your news elsewhere.

Maybe when they send out Marshmallow it will include a scaled back version of Sense.

Last edited:

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't know anyone ever used Blinkfeed. I never set it up on my M7 or now on my M9 as its a hog and redundant for that matter.

Turn it off and get your news elsewhere.

Maybe when they send out Marshmallow it will include a scaled back version of Sense.

Blinkfeed previously was actually pretty good as a news feed. I've tried a bunch of others like Flipboard but always gravitated back to Blinkfeed. I find Facebook and Twitter too obnoxious to spend any amount of my time in to be honest.

Phani Kumar5

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
News Republic App ad has been till date to download the app on my htc one? why should I download? and I see notable changes in htc company towards its customers. TV remote has been removed, and this add says about blink feed. Disaster to Htc.

Last edited:

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
News Republic App ad has been till date to download the app on my htc one? why should I download? and I see notable changes in htc company towards its customers. TV remote has been removed, and this add says about blink feed. Disaster to Htc.
I've never liked or used Blinkfeed, and haven't downloaded the Republic app either. Never used my phone as a remote either.....just don't need to. HTC working hard to get updates out to it's customers. Working on good new hardware...A-9 is a step in the right direction. If they get the camera right, the M-10 will be epic. Not seeing any disaster.....

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've never liked or used Blinkfeed, and haven't downloaded the Republic app either. Never used my phone as a remote either.....just don't need to. HTC working hard to get updates out to it's customers. Working on good new hardware...A-9 is a step in the right direction. If they get the camera right, the M-10 will be epic. Not seeing any disaster.....

What step in the right direction was the A9? It's regular price is too high and in no man's land. They removed boom sound and it looks way too much like the iPhone. The camera is still mediocre by 2015 standards.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I would consider the A9 a mid tier phone. Here in the U.S., it can be bought directly from HTC for $499 , but can be had thru third party sites for $50-100 cheaper. In comparison to other mid tier phones, I appears to comparable. To find out what direction HTC is going, we will probably have to wait on the M10. I doubt blinkfeed will be any different with the M10.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't want it on the Playstore because ads is how they make money. You have to download it from their website.

This app has been a revelation. I no longer have to pay for the ad free versions of apps.

I ended up buying a lifetime membership from Adguard. Well worth it for the added speed and battery life it gives my device without having to root.

When I download the installer and try to click install it doesn't let me. I have allowed unknown sources. I have the m9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome