HTC M9 Hot Spot Turns Data Off When Display Turns Off After T-mobile Update!

cloves

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I just jumped over to T-mobile, I got an HTC M9 (Long time HTC user). Got the phone and for a few days I have been using it. I use my hot spot for my tablet when I drive. Everything has been working great until T-Mobile pushed an update to the phone. I had "Do not auto update" but that did stop them. Anyways after the update, when my hot spot (which is part of my plan) shuts off, the connection for the hot spot stops working.

Called HTC and they said this is the new function to save power. I mean WTF, so in order to use what I am paying for I have to keep my phones display on burning more battery.

I went into
hotspot>advanced settings>power mode>always on

But that is NOT working. Anyone else comment on the situation? Can't seem to find other people experiencing this. I just took another update from T-mobile to 2.11.531.19 and running lollipop 5.1.

cloves

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Just took the 6.0 OTA update from T-mobile and the problem continues.

No data to connected devices once the HTC M9 screen shuts off. Data restores once screen is turned back on.

No one else experiencing this issue on here with tethering?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just took the 6.0 OTA update from T-mobile and the problem continues.

No data to connected devices once the HTC M9 screen shuts off. Data restores once screen is turned back on.

No one else experiencing this issue on here with tethering?

Have you tried going into Battery Optimization and un optimize your Hot Spot and Data Dashboard widgets? Power> Battery optimization> touch the top panel Not Optimized and choose all apps. Scroll to those two apps and touch and choose don't optimize... See if that works. You don't have Power Saver on, by any chance?

cloves

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I had tried a few other applications and "not optimized" them. including "Tmobile Hotspot" but didn't try "Data dashboard widget". Just tried these 2, no go. Hotspot still shutting off when display shuts off.

Power Save is off as well.

cloves

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
So looking at a brand new HTC m9 (Running 5.0.2) as shipped from T-mobile NEXT to my HTC m9 (Running 6.0). Multiple Power options missing, as marshmallow loses options inside "Power Saver" for "Battery Optimization". M9 running 5.0.2's hotspot works with the screen off. HTC m9 running 6.0 marshmallow shuts off my hotspot with screen off as does 5.1.

I turned off every battery optimization for every application listed as noted by "Not Optimized". My HotSpot shuts off when my screen shuts off regardless. My Data Connection is being "put to sleep when screen is off" with Android version 6.0. And as far I see, there is no equivalent option inside the "Battery Optimization" Apps setting.

WTF to do now? HTC tech support = useless.

001 25402560776_569c1d1f91_b A.jpg
002 25402560776_569c1d1f91_b A.jpg
003 25402560776_569c1d1f91_b A.jpg
004 25402560776_569c1d1f91_b A.jpg
005 25402560776_569c1d1f91_b A.jpg