Help transferring data across from a Samsung S4 Mini to a HTC One M9? I'm getting an error message..

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello I'm trying to transfer texts, photos, videos and other data across from a Samsung S4 Mini to a HTC One M9.

I've followed the steps on how to do this from HTC website support page and i'm just getting a message saying "Cannot initialize transfer tool" and "Unable to turn on Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help transferring data across from Samsung S4 Mini to HTC One M9? Getting error message

Did you get the phone directly from a carrier, or unlocked from HTC or a 3rd party seller? If the phone was from a carrier, the wi-fi hotspot usually requires you to be on that specific carrier's network, so I wonder if that could be causing an issue.

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Help transferring data across from Samsung S4 Mini to HTC One M9? Getting error message

Did you get the phone directly from a carrier, or unlocked from HTC or a 3rd party seller? If the phone was from a carrier, the wi-fi hotspot usually requires you to be on that specific carrier's network, so I wonder if that could be causing an issue.

I got the phone from a 3rd party seller on eBay. It was listed as unlocked but when receiving the phone I discovered it was locked to Vodafone. I've got it unlocked but it still displays the same error message...

The phone seems to function fine in all other areas so this is a bit odd.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That might be the issue. If the phone isn't on a Vodafone network, the wifi hotspot may not work correctly--and if the wifi hotspot is important for the transfer tool, then it might prevent it from working correctly as well.

If you're near a Vodafone store, ask the rep if they can help you. Maybe they'll be nice and insert a temporary Vodafone SIM to allow you to try transferring again.

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

That might be the issue. If the phone isn't on a Vodafone network, the wifi hotspot may not work correctly--and if the wifi hotspot is important for the transfer tool, then it might prevent it from working correctly as well.

If you're near a Vodafone store, ask the rep if they can help you. Maybe they'll be nice and insert a temporary Vodafone SIM to allow you to try transferring again.

Thanks for your advice, i may just have to do what you suggested and go into a Vodafone store. Just so you know.... it displayed the same message before i got the phone unlocked too, not sure if that makes any difference? Also, what baffles me is that i thought it done the data transfer over Wi-Fi??

Can anyone else who has used this app confirm?

Thanks.

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Just an update to anyone who might look at this thread...

I never found a solution to this problem and unfortunately the Samsung S4 mini went completely faulty and wouldn't function or turn on at all so even if there was a solution, it no longer applies.

Nevermind though! The new phone is all set up and ready! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21