Opinions on one m9? Fire hazard and terrible phone

Luke3886

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts/experiences with the m9 so far.

So over the last few years I have had a fair few phones from iPhones to Samsung galaxy's. I have now ordered a oneplus 3 to see me through to the end of my contract as this phone is just dangerous. When I fist opened the box I was delighted with the phone and as you do thought it was the best thing ever, but this was short lived and has now turned into the worst 12 months of phone ownership ever. So I thought I would share my experiences with others below.

First issue was charging. A few months ago my USB port decided it was only going to work intermittently. So plug unplug four of 5 times to get the charging icon. With this came a new issue, it began to think that it was docked and went into car mode when on charge. This then began happening when not on charge just randomly throughout the day ranging from once or twice a day to every 3 minutes. Battery drain is terrible and often end up changing by lunchtime just to see out the end of work.

Then the thing started to overheat, and I mean seriously overheat. I know these get warm usually but this thing is now a fire hazard. It started when I put my phone on charge one night came to it in the morning to pick it up and it literally felt like it was burning my skin, I had to leave it on a cold surface for 15 mins before being able to pick it up. This is now regular when using the HTC charger so I started recording battery temps at one point it was 69°C. I now only charge my phone when I can see it never overnight as batteries and high temps aren't a great pairing.

Also to mention the screen seems to develop lines when in my pocket for extended periods of time. This has happened to me a few times now on flights but returns to normal after a few hours. A bit of googling seems this is quite common.

Contacted HTC numerous times via email and tried ringing but never got through or got a reply. Genuinely hope I just had a 1 in a million experience and these phones aren't that bad but I will never be buying HTC again for sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sounds super frustrating. HTC really ought to handle that as a warranty repair or replacement. Did you try contacting them through this site? Live chat - Contact us | HTC United States The Live Chat ought to be more reliable than email (which can be ignored or "lost").

Luke3886

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi thanks yes I have tried the live chat several times but no avail. Just waiting in a queue for half hour or so and then a message saying its taking longer than usual for us to respond to you. I don't know if it's the same chat system over here in the UK as the US but i can't get through

johngaddis

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I've not had any of these issues with my M9 except that it was heating up when charging. I figured that out easy enough by disabling redundant apps.

johngaddis

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah fine tuning aside. Most charging apps still screw up a phone faster then hell because Devs address old hooks instead of trying the new ones to address given issues.

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
M-9 U. S. A. Have had same phone since release and never had any of those issues. Do you have oops replacement. Sounds like it's a lemon . Sorry to hear that, I really like mine.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had those issues either. I really like the phone and plan to keep it until the next 5ish inch phone with front facing stereo speakers and an FM tuner with headphone jack is released. I hope that will be next year from HTC when they realize that the 10 lost HTC's differentiating feature.

I think the lines are from stress lines that develop when the phone is kept in a pocket over time. Flat surfaces made of Gorilla Glass don't bend, they break.

johngaddis

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I've got mine twisted as all hell and I haven't had. Any issues with over heating, you've got a rampant app running on your phone. Do a Vanilla boot and see if you've got heat issues...
It ain't the phone or the battery....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s