HTC m9 don't work in cold

summit700

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
I got a HTC m9 I got it in March so it wasn't that cold . This fall I was sitting outside having a beer and when I went to look at my screen it was off .I tried to power it on HTC screen came on than shut off I figured it died . I came inside plugged it in than a screen comes up with a pic of battery with red ! In it .after it warmed up I tried to turn it on and that's when he'll broke loose .I got error after error for everything including HTC home sence after many hours searching online I figured out how to get my phone back working .than it happened again and again . Now it's winter and iv learnt that if I'm going outside to get it cold I shut it off and before I turn it back on I plug it into my charger and if the battery charges it's OK but if the red ! Shows up just wait a bit longer keep plugging it in till battery charges than turn it on . I just changed the battery and that never fixed it . Anyone have any clue what's up with this thing ?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious if the cold is contracting circuitry to cause it to not work, but once it warms up the connection comes back.

summit700

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm curious if the cold is contracting circuitry to cause it to not work, but once it warms up the connection comes back.

Maybe I don't know

I thought it was battery cuz one time I know it was charged and once I got it back on was practically dead .now being a automotive tech I know I could of had two separate issues . My phone was charged %100 and I just put it in freezer to see if battery replacement fixed it . It did not but it had %98 charge once I warmed it up

RyanHurst

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. It's happened three times now. All your default apps are reverted to their original install(so they all have to update. this also puts htc home in a state of constant crashing. the crashing will stop if you update htc home. You can do that by holding the home button to get to google, then go to play.google.com and update htc home) all of your app preferences are reset. Mildly frustrating.

johngaddis

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I don't know

I thought it was battery cuz one time I know it was charged and once I got it back on was practically dead .now being a automotive tech I know I could of had two separate issues . My phone was charged %100 and I just put it in freezer to see if battery replacement fixed it . It did not but it had %98 charge once I warmed it up
This isn't a case of connection loss, but of bad programming I'd bet.

summit700

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Any time I think my phone will get cold now like riding my snowmachine I shut it off and before I turn it on I plug it into a charger if the battery % shows up you can turn it on if the ! Of death shows up I let it warm up .

The biggest issue with this is if I ever get stranded in the bush or hurt I have no phone I mean if I have time I can warn it up from body heat but that's gonna take some time. Would be nice if HTC sent a update out to correct this . Maybe I'll see if I can e mail them just to Inform them of the problem

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I keep the phone in my breast pocket in my "snow coat" while snowblowing or shoveling. It is streaming music over BT for several hours.
Usually when I walk the dog, it is in my front pants pocket, idle.
No cold weather issues to report.
I have seen HOT notifications on other phones in the summer, and I know these batteries have an optimal temperature range of operation. Go outside of that range and the circuitry shuts it down. Same thing happens to my rechargeable drill batteries.
Best to set it aside and let it come back into range on its own. Certainly shut it off if you know it is in danger of going outside of that range.
Also try to minimize charging cycles by keeping the battery charged above 30-40%
With "non replaceable batteries", managing/ optimizing your battery health should be a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49