Bootloop and Problems with Recovery

asapeinstein

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
hey guys i'll try to keep it short.

HTC One M9, no branding, official software, locked and S-ON.

one month ago my phone got (for no apparent reason) serious software problems, so spend a lot of time on the internet to find a solution. in the end, i downloaded the correct stock rom, put it on a sd card and reinstalled stock android via the download mode. it worked out really well, my phone was running like new.

but 2 days ago i pick up my phone and realize it's stuck in a bootloop. (again for no apparent reason) using the right button combinations, i am able to get into the bootloader.

when i try to flash the stock rom with the exact same method that worked last time, it says "start ui_updating" and gets caught in the bootloop again. (i dont think i did anything wrong because the exact same procedure worked last time)

when i enter recovery mode, i get the infamous red triangle. using the right buttons, i can still access the recovery mode from there. now, when i try to factory reset from here, i get the following errors: E: failed to mount /preload (invalid argument).. try emmc mount E: Cant find device node for mount point again E: mount /cache fail, format it and mount again ----- about 5 more similar errors after those 3.

another thing: when i let my phone in the bootloop for some hours, it exits the bootloop and the screen says: your phone is encrypted and it asks me to enter my "screen number". after i enter my PIN, it says that the number was correct (strangely this also happens without the SIM inserted) but my data is corrupt. it gives me a option to factory reset from here, but when i press it, it is infinitely trying to reboot until i shut it down.

i would be so glad if anyone could help me or give me a hint. i barely have any money left and i need the phone for my work. thanks in advance <3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Do you have a custom recovery installed?

If you have fastboot and ADB set up on your PC, you might be able to recover this. You will most likely need to unlock the bootloader, and this will wipe your device. From there, you might be able to reflash the stock ROM with a .zip file that HTC can provide.

asapeinstein

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Hey Golfdriver!

1. what exactly ist custom recovery? i guess you mean those programs.

2. I did read through the fastboot/ADB instructions to install a stock rom. The problem is that my PC doesn't recognize my phone in any state and from the instructions i figured that it needs to be recognized by the PC to unlock the bootloader and continue etc. (yes i have the correct drivers installed)

Thanks a lot!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Drivers are only part of the issue. ADB and fastboot need to be set up correctly in order for that to work. It is kind of a different animal, meaning that if you plug in your device, and in your command prompt type fastboot devices, then it should give you the serial number of your phone.

asapeinstein

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
So, I got my phone to be recognized by fastboot. It is still not recognized by ADB (I guess that's because i didnt have USB debugging enabled before my phone crashed) How do i continue from here? Remember, my phone is S-ON, the bootloader is locked and USB debugging is not enabled.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I got my phone to be recognized by fastboot. It is still not recognized by ADB (I guess that's because i didnt have USB debugging enabled before my phone crashed) How do i continue from here? Remember, my phone is S-ON, the bootloader is locked and USB debugging is not enabled.

Sorry for the delay. Since fastboot recognizes your device, you should be able to RUU the phone back to the last stock image. You may want to contact HTC on which file to use; a list of some can be found here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fsupport%2From-downloads.html&token=EMyQ650V

asapeinstein

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
i tried that (via fastboot flash system) and i get the error message:

erasing system...
FAILED (remote: partition system erase not allowed when S-ON and bootloader)

also when i try flashing only the recovery image i get a similar error:

writing recovery...
(bootloader) HOSD CL#671758
FAILED (remote: RU_SECURITY_FAIL recoevry and bootloader isn't BL_UNLOCKE)

asapeinstein

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
No. The problem is that I am from germany and HTC releases the ROMs and stuff only for US devices as you probably know. So i have ROM from a german website (and I know its the right one because it worked previously with the SD card method) and the tools (fastboot and adb) from the android website.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
is there any way to either unlock the bootloader or enable USB debugging using fastboot commands? because that might solve the problem, right?
Unlocking the bootloader is hit or miss. It's not as simple as a single command, like a Nexus or Pixel. HTC has a developer website to see if the bootloader can be unlocked.

As far as I know, there is no fastboot command for USB debugging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech