Is it really that bad?

Nismo75

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Currently own the normal HTC one. I would like a bigger screen and expandable memory which the max has. Although the reviews aren't favourable does anyone own the phone who previously had the normal one?

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The reviewers (especially the non-AC reviewers :)) are a fickle bunch. I'm sure the One Max is quite the solid device. It may not be the very very very best device of 2013 but does it need to be? If its a phone you're really considering my advice is this: continue to read reviews and when and if you're ready to pull the trigger go ahead, pull it. Most have a return policy and, to me, $35 (restocking fee) is well worth seeing for yourself if the phone meets your needs.

...just one perspective.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If it came to tmobile I'd jump on it.

I'd like to see it come to all the major carriers. There are a lot of folks that don't want to have both a phone and a tablet...they'd just like to have one device. Gear like this meets that desire.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see it come to all the major carriers. There are a lot of folks that don't want to have both a phone and a tablet...they'd just like to have one device. Gear like this meets that desire.

I'd like to see it just from the standpoint of carrier exclusive phones are dumb.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

samredman

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I got mine on Thursday, November 21, from Verizon, upgrading from an HTC Thunderbolt. It's quite amazing to me. I have been using a Nexus 7 tablet as well so I am familiar with the 4.3 android version. For me this phone satisfies what I need. I even love the camera, but I'm not a professional photographer. Still learning features but overall it's the phone I've been seeking.

Incidentally, I've been been a Verizon customer for 16 years, upgrading to something new every two years until I stuck with the Thunderbolt, then waiting for an HTC "phablet.". I'm quite happy.

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Objectively speaking, if you have and like the One, you should have no problem with the Max, because for the most part, it's the same device. Same form factor, same processor, same UI. I think most of the lackluster reviews have more to go with it not being anything mind-blowing, not necessarily that it's a bad device.

The main differences are as follows:

• Max is much larger
  • Max is plastic wrapped in aluminum (similar to One Mini) vs the One's all-aluminum chassis
  • Max has expandable storage
  • One has OIS, Max does not
  • Max has fingerprint reader
  • Max comes with updated Sense 5.5 (coming soon to One)
  • Max lacks Beats audio

So you're gonna get pretty much the same user experience, but with a few differences. So if you want a One, but jumbo-sized, I say go for it.

Incidentally, in my case, I kept looking at the One, thinking: "if only this thing had a microsd slot and bigger screen". Then *poof* the One Max is leaked. :p

Last edited:

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Objectively speaking, if you have and like the One, you should have no problem with the Max, because for the most part, it's the same device. Same form factor, same processor, same UI. I think most of the lackluster reviews have more to go with it not being anything mind-blowing, not necessarily that it's a bad device.

The main differences are as follows:

• Max is much larger
  • Max is plastic wrapped in aluminum (similar to One Mini) vs the One's all-aluminum chassis
  • Max has expandable storage
  • One has OIS, Max does not
  • Max has fingerprint reader
  • Max comes with updated Sense 5.5 (coming soon to One)
  • Max lacks Beats audio

So you're gonna get pretty much the same user experience, but with a few differences. So if you want a One, but jumbo-sized, I say go for it.

Incidentally, in my case, I kept looking at the One, thinking: "if only this thing had a microsd slot and bigger screen". Then *poof* the One Max is leaked. :p

Why not just make 1 big phone*

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why not just make 1 big phone*

Yeah, it does seem like HTC is really polarizing their lineup.

You're looking at either sub 5" with the 4.3" Mini or the 4.7" One, or a whopping 5.9" with the Max. But a lot of people are finding their sweet spot in the 5-5.5" range ? la S4/Note.

HTC could have really hit a grand slam with a 5-5.5" or so device. But then, it looks like that may be exactly what they're looking to do with the M8 (aka One Two), for which leaked specs show a 5" screen, a fingerprint reader similar to the Max, and S800 processor.

Either way, I don't regret ordering a Max.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it does seem like HTC is really polarizing their lineup.

You're looking at either sub 5" with the 4.3" Mini or the 4.7" One, or a whopping 5.9" with the Max. But a lot of people are finding their sweet spot in the 5-5.5" range ? la S4/Note.

HTC could have really hit a grand slam with a 5-5.5" or so device. But then, it looks like that may be exactly what they're looking to do with the M8 (aka One Two), for which leaked specs show a 5" screen, a fingerprint reader similar to the Max, and S800 processor.

Either way, I don't regret ordering a Max.

Fyi, the note 3 is 5.7"

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

masterq1104

May 28, 2012
Visit site
this is my third htc one max and the last, if this one doesn't work as i expect i will drop sprint for sure after 4 years and go back to tmobile with the samsung galaxy note 3, i mean, i love htc since the G1 but this is too much, i'm in a great coverage area for data y voice in the sprint network, also SPARK and LTE are available in my area for sure, but my voice strength is almost 0 and i have an airave, also a lot of missing calls. also is horrible in the management of the internal memory, sometimes is freeze and doesn't respond at all, i have to do a soft reset very frequently, it sucks. i had a lot of expectations with that big monster, but eventually is not good. SPARK is also not that good since is almost 5% only here in tampa now

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
this is a fantastic phone; who really cares what any reviewer thinks?

I came from a Note 2, as did my wife and son, and they got the one, and I got the one max, and we all love these phones...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Not as good as the HTC One? Hmm...I think it's just a bigger HTC One and is not the game changer the One was when it was released many moons ago, given the current atmosphere of phones.

n7 LTE