Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is it really that bad?

    Currently own the normal HTC one. I would like a bigger screen and expandable memory which the max has. Although the reviews aren't favourable does anyone own the phone who previously had the normal one?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    The reviewers (especially the non-AC reviewers :-)) are a fickle bunch. I'm sure the One Max is quite the solid device. It may not be the very very very best device of 2013 but does it need to be? If its a phone you're really considering my advice is this: continue to read reviews and when and if you're ready to pull the trigger go ahead, pull it. Most have a return policy and, to me, $35 (restocking fee) is well worth seeing for yourself if the phone meets your needs.

    ...just one perspective.
    Live long and prosper.


    wase4711 and Golfdriver97 like this.
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    18,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,880 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    I am inclined to agree. If the device meets your needs, and it works for you, then get it.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    If it came to tmobile I'd jump on it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by churro#WN View Post
    If it came to tmobile I'd jump on it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I'd like to see it come to all the major carriers. There are a lot of folks that don't want to have both a phone and a tablet...they'd just like to have one device. Gear like this meets that desire.
    Live long and prosper.


  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    18,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,880 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I'd like to see it come to all the major carriers. There are a lot of folks that don't want to have both a phone and a tablet...they'd just like to have one device. Gear like this meets that desire.
    I'd like to see it just from the standpoint of carrier exclusive phones are dumb.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    I got mine on Thursday, November 21, from Verizon, upgrading from an HTC Thunderbolt. It's quite amazing to me. I have been using a Nexus 7 tablet as well so I am familiar with the 4.3 android version. For me this phone satisfies what I need. I even love the camera, but I'm not a professional photographer. Still learning features but overall it's the phone I've been seeking.

    Incidentally, I've been been a Verizon customer for 16 years, upgrading to something new every two years until I stuck with the Thunderbolt, then waiting for an HTC "phablet.". I'm quite happy.
  8. #8  
    Xader's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Objectively speaking, if you have and like the One, you should have no problem with the Max, because for the most part, it's the same device. Same form factor, same processor, same UI. I think most of the lackluster reviews have more to go with it not being anything mind-blowing, not necessarily that it's a bad device.

    The main differences are as follows:

    • Max is much larger
    • Max is plastic wrapped in aluminum (similar to One Mini) vs the One's all-aluminum chassis
    • Max has expandable storage
    • One has OIS, Max does not
    • Max has fingerprint reader
    • Max comes with updated Sense 5.5 (coming soon to One)
    • Max lacks Beats audio


    So you're gonna get pretty much the same user experience, but with a few differences. So if you want a One, but jumbo-sized, I say go for it.

    Incidentally, in my case, I kept looking at the One, thinking: "if only this thing had a microsd slot and bigger screen". Then *poof* the One Max is leaked.
    Last edited by Xader; 11-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Objectively speaking, if you have and like the One, you should have no problem with the Max, because for the most part, it's the same device. Same form factor, same processor, same UI. I think most of the lackluster reviews have more to go with it not being anything mind-blowing, not necessarily that it's a bad device.

    The main differences are as follows:

    • Max is much larger
    • Max is plastic wrapped in aluminum (similar to One Mini) vs the One's all-aluminum chassis
    • Max has expandable storage
    • One has OIS, Max does not
    • Max has fingerprint reader
    • Max comes with updated Sense 5.5 (coming soon to One)
    • Max lacks Beats audio


    So you're gonna get pretty much the same user experience, but with a few differences. So if you want a One, but jumbo-sized, I say go for it.

    Incidentally, in my case, I kept looking at the One, thinking: "if only this thing had a microsd slot and bigger screen". Then *poof* the One Max is leaked.
    Why not just make 1 big phone*

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    Xader's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    Why not just make 1 big phone*

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, it does seem like HTC is really polarizing their lineup.

    You're looking at either sub 5" with the 4.3" Mini or the 4.7" One, or a whopping 5.9" with the Max. But a lot of people are finding their sweet spot in the 5-5.5" range la S4/Note.

    HTC could have really hit a grand slam with a 5-5.5" or so device. But then, it looks like that may be exactly what they're looking to do with the M8 (aka One Two), for which leaked specs show a 5" screen, a fingerprint reader similar to the Max, and S800 processor.

    Either way, I don't regret ordering a Max.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Yeah, it does seem like HTC is really polarizing their lineup.

    You're looking at either sub 5" with the 4.3" Mini or the 4.7" One, or a whopping 5.9" with the Max. But a lot of people are finding their sweet spot in the 5-5.5" range la S4/Note.

    HTC could have really hit a grand slam with a 5-5.5" or so device. But then, it looks like that may be exactly what they're looking to do with the M8 (aka One Two), for which leaked specs show a 5" screen, a fingerprint reader similar to the Max, and S800 processor.

    Either way, I don't regret ordering a Max.
    Fyi, the note 3 is 5.7"

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    this is my third htc one max and the last, if this one doesn't work as i expect i will drop sprint for sure after 4 years and go back to tmobile with the samsung galaxy note 3, i mean, i love htc since the G1 but this is too much, i'm in a great coverage area for data y voice in the sprint network, also SPARK and LTE are available in my area for sure, but my voice strength is almost 0 and i have an airave, also a lot of missing calls. also is horrible in the management of the internal memory, sometimes is freeze and doesn't respond at all, i have to do a soft reset very frequently, it sucks. i had a lot of expectations with that big monster, but eventually is not good. SPARK is also not that good since is almost 5% only here in tampa now
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Fyi, the note 3 is 5.7"

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    The mega is 6.7 right?

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    If you like the HTC One and you want a bigger version of it...Then I say go for it!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    this is a fantastic phone; who really cares what any reviewer thinks?

    I came from a Note 2, as did my wife and son, and they got the one, and I got the one max, and we all love these phones...
  16. #16  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    this is a fantastic phone; who really cares what any reviewer thinks?

    I came from a Note 2, as did my wife and son, and they got the one, and I got the one max, and we all love these phones...
    You should. They're all great good phones.

    n7 LTE
    Live long and prosper.


    wase4711 likes this.
  17. #17  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Not as good as the HTC One? Hmm...I think it's just a bigger HTC One and is not the game changer the One was when it was released many moons ago, given the current atmosphere of phones.

    n7 LTE
    Live long and prosper.


  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    agree that its not a "game changer", but, for me, that isnt the main criteria for getting a device
  19. #19  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    agree that its not a "game changer", but, for me, that isnt the main criteria for getting a device
    Wise you are.

    gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.


    Thanked by:
    wase4711 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    The mega is 6.7 right?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I believe it's 6.3 .

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    the display on the Mega is horrible, and you cant even see it in bright sunlight..
  22. #22  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by FortTech101 View Post
    I believe it's 6.3 .

    Posted via Android Central App
    I'm all for the Mega's size if you're looking for a tablet that can make phone calls. What I'm not all for is the weakish specs and 1.5GB of RAM. I guess they didn't want the device competing with the Note 3 and took steps to make sure it didn't.
    Live long and prosper.


    wase4711 likes this.
  23. #23  
    Waitzar's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    I think it is a good phone. Just not the best phone you can get right now. I don't run benchmarks or play games on my phones. However, I care more about premium built, speakers and screen resolution/quality so One Max will do. My wife has Note 3 and I can't tell Note 3 speed (every day use) over One Max even though Note 3 has S800 and 3GB of RAM.
  24. #24  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    TBH if the One Max didn't have that white plasticy plastic trim and instead had the build attributes of the One I'd feel much better about how it looks. ...or if the trim was at least black (perhaps black and silver don't go together as well as white and silver some designer's minds). Heck, an all black version would have been great but may have been slicker than the image that HTC hopes to project.

    g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.


  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is it really that bad?

    well, considering how most of us put cases/covers on our phones, some of those cosmetic things end up not being that important..
    I agree, if it looked EXACTLY like the One, it would be more attractive; that white trim doesnt really do anything for the looks..

    Obviously, manufacturers dont pay alot of attention to that; look at that horrible plastic "plether" on the Note 3..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 10:12 PM
  2. Everyone is enjoying Kit Kat but Sprint
    By 88five-oh in forum Moto X
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 02:41 AM
  3. GOT IT!!!!
    By maryjane2300 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 12:14 AM
  4. Is there a way to answer incoming calls?
    By mdeva in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 07:06 AM
  5. What is the monthly limit on screenshots?
    By mdeva in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Posting Permissions