HTC One Mini 2 - forgotten pattern lock

JJ Alexander

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I bought a brand new HTC One Mini 2 a few days ago. I started to set it up and created a pattern lock. I then got called away before I could complete the set up of my Google account details etc. When I went back to the phone, the screen had locked and I have apparently forgotten my pattern lock (even though I think I entered the correct one). I followed all instructions I could find to reset the lock but it doesn't give me the 'forgot pattern' prompt which should allow you to use Google info (perhaps because I hadn't completed that bit of set up yet?). I also can't do a factory reset because the Fast Boot option is apparently automatically enabled on this model which prevents the hard reset using the volume/power keys.

Someone in the phone shop suggested waiting for the battery to discharge fully and then perform the hard reset...I'm waiting for the battery to die to try this but I'm sceptical as to whether it will work or not.

Is there any way that I can get into my phone or is it a write-off?

Thanks

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how you were able to get all the way to the security settings without entering your Google info completely, but anyway. Even with fastboot enabled holding down on the vol rocker and powering on the device should take you to the screen to factory reset your device however that will not circumvent the pattern lock. Usually after a number attempts it prompts you to enter your Google information and locks out the pattern all together to prevent anyone from endlessly trying new patterns to unlock the device. You should be able to take it into your provider and they can unlock it, short of that you could contact HTC and they may accept the device as a repair and restore it for you. However you would have to ship it to them and wait for its return and there could a cost incurred.

JJ Alexander

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your response.

i contacted HTC using their Live Chat facility and they talked me through the hard reset process (slightly different than the process I found described online) which worked beautifully. I'm now up and running with my new phone and a tried and tested PIN lock as I'm obviously not to be rusted with a pattern lock!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad your back up and running. I must ask tho what did they have you do differently during the reset that by passed the lock. It's been my understanding that a simple reset would not by pass the lock.

Posted via Android Central App

JJ Alexander

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I did anything differently. I followed the instructions given to me to restore factory settings and that allowed me full access to the phone again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34