I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Alex, this may have already been asked but I was wondering:

How well does the phone handle multi-tasking? I know you mentioned you haven't had any problems browsing the internet but if I was to really push the phone by say: browsing the internet, using Pandora, taking pictures, MMS, etc all at the same time how does the phone hold up?

Also, since the internals are in a smaller shell have you noticed the phone getting warm at all after prolonged heavy usage? Thank you so much! I'm loving my HTC One but am considering picking up the One Mini for my wife.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
is Adreno 305 powerful enough to run heavy games? or is it worse than adreno 225?
does it have LED notification?
Epic Citadel and Sonic 4 Ep 2 work just fine on the Mini.

Yes, it has a notification/charging LED, located in the top speaker grille.

Alex, this may have already been asked but I was wondering:

How well does the phone handle multi-tasking? I know you mentioned you haven't had any problems browsing the internet but if I was to really push the phone by say: browsing the internet, using Pandora, taking pictures, MMS, etc all at the same time how does the phone hold up?

Also, since the internals are in a smaller shell have you noticed the phone getting warm at all after prolonged heavy usage? Thank you so much! I'm loving my HTC One but am considering picking up the One Mini for my wife.
I haven't noticed any lag using the phone the way I used the M7 ? including multi-tasking, browsing with music in the background, taking photos, shooting video.

No temperature issues. In fact, I'd say it's less susceptible than the M7 to getting warm during use.

rizaldi w

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
how many remaining storage does it have after you fill it with some files, apps and etc?
or maybe can you take screenshot about the storage?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I read all of the posts in this thread. Thank you very much for letting us know and being nice and patient enough to answer all the questions.

Aquadextrous

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I just wanted to add my thoughts - I got my Mini today from HTC through work and it's a really great little device.
My daily driver is a Lumia 920 but I've recently had an HTC One that I've been using for about 12 weeks. I've also had plenty of experience with the S4 Mini.
My thoughts so far on comparing the Mini to the One are:

I actually quite like the white plastic bezel around the chassis, I know it's plastic, but it feels ok in the hand and it looks good with the silver aluminium and black screen bezel.
I have yet to find a use for NFC on any device I own, so I don't miss this at all.
I use WMC to power my tv, the HTC one's IR isn't compatible with WMC so I never used this and again won't miss it on the Mini.
With the slower processor I was expecting everything to lag and bog down but so far everything is ok, android and sense fly along nicely and apps run fine, I haven't tried any games yet, but if and when I do I will post my thoughts. I'm running on 4G so everything internet related is also a fast experience!
The speakers aren't quite as powerful sounding as the One, but they are still LOUD and clear. Front facing speakers just make sense... why doesn't everyone do this!?
I love the idea of blinkfeed on both the One and Mini, I just wish it was a bit better! Generally if I want to facebook something I also want to Tweet it too, I guess I've been used to WP too long and love that WP is write once post to all. It's frustrating that I have to write to one, copy it and then paste it to the other. OK there's probably an app for this but I wish BlinkFeed did it for me.
I've not used the camera much yet, but over the next few days I will have a play and let you know.

My general round up is that: The HTC One is, as to be expected, the superior phone but the Mini is damned close for general use and I love the aluminium design, it blows the S4 Mini away in terms of quality, it just feels better to use. It would be my choice if I was looking for a handset around this size and price point.
If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them, it looks like lots are answered already but sometimes it's good to hear the opinion of a casual user....

Disclaimer: You're probably all reading this thinking "who is this guy just coming along with a new profile and telling us he has an (unreleased) HTC One Mini, he probably doesn't have one or works for HTC and would say it's good" or something along those lines... I got the phone through work - I sell mobiles for a living - and HTC occasionally let us try products and this time I got lucky! Thankfully there's no NDA so I can talk about the handset.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Alex and Aquadextrous. I have been hoping to pick up an S4 mini that can do 4G data in the US (if Samsung ever sees fit to sell such an item) but I'm also interested in the One mini, and this was really useful.

Any updates on battery life in real-life usage?
How is signal quality? Can you pick up weak phone/data signals okay? How does it compare to other phones?

Any guesses as to whether this puppy will be available off-contract and unlocked in a US version? I travel enough that being able to pop out the SIM and buy something locally is valuable to me.

Aquadextrous

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I was going to upload a screenshot of my battery drain, but it seems it only accepts URLs and I cant be bothered to upload it somewhere and get the link...

The low down on battery is that I get good daily usage from it. Current stats are: 13h 51m on battery and I have 42% remaining. This is from being connected to 4G all day, made a few calls, lots of texts and Whatsapp, facebook, twitter and Glassboard usage, I also used the Mini as a hotspot for an hour this morning, have used to phone to demonstrate this handset and Android to customers and played a couple of short Youtube videos. I probably get the same battery life from daily use as I did when I had the full sized One. I guess the smaller battery is offset by slower processor, smaller screen etc. In the week I have been using the Mini I have not ran out of power. The lowest it's been was on day one when it fell to 6% - but it didn't come fully charged and I was busy installing apps and getting set up.

Signal quality - I haven't really been out of the city centre (Bristol, UK) since I got the phone so I don't know how good the phone handles lower signal strengths. One thing that I have noticed with the Mini and I saw the same with the full sized version is that if I have the HTC One mini and my Lumia 920 next to each other, the Mini often displays lower signal strength than the 920. For example - right now the lumia has 3 bars of 4G and the Mini has 2 bars, I've just run speed tests on both (using Ookla SpeedTest.Net apps on both) simultaneously and the results were:
Mini: download 29.4mb/s upload 10.9mb/s
920: download 28.1mb/s upload 13.8mb/s

They are always pretty much the same on speeds, it just seems that android/htc interprets signal strength differently. The One Mini switches from 4G to 3G and back for calls and texts nice and quick. Not had any problems with network signal - but like I said I've not been to a low signal area to test fully.

Other things I've noticed over the last week:
The speakers really are great, it's so loud, I wasn't ready to believe that this little phone could be as powerfully loud as the HTC One, but it's almost as good - speakers on the front of phones should really be the norm!
The camera is OK, its perfectly fine for point and shoot pictures - I do miss the extra ability of great looking night photos and smooth videos that come with the Lumia 920 and the One, but I guess I've been spoiled over the last few months with the benefits of Optical Image Stabilisation.
Still loving the build quality, anyone who is trying to decide whether to get the HTC One Mini or the S4 Mini should wait until they're in shops and then just hold one in each hand. The feel of difference in quality is astonishing, the HTC wins hands down here - Hell even if you're wondering whether to get the full sized versions of these phones hold both of those and feel how nice the HTC is.
So this isn't all one sided towards HTC where I think Samsung wins is the screens. I don't know what it is but the S4 and S4 Mini screens just seem more vibrant, more colourful. This might just be my perception, but the screens on the HTC phones seem to lack bright colour, every thing seems a bit grey - not overly so that you'd notice or care, but I just feel noticeable when you hold both HTC phones next to the 2 Samsung models.

Hope this helps with your decisions people, if you have any other questions and ask away, I pop here every now and again to check :)

:)

numptyclive

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I've played with this in the shop and I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these bad boys. I love my one but I like smaller phones

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking at it as well. I'm not a silver/white phone kind of person so hopefully they bring out the black one soon. It's either that or the moto x.

canarypilot

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought this phone last week. I assumed the SKY GO app would work but is mot supported. Sky wont comment on future availability but any experts out there know if the mini will never be compatible please?

I don't mind waiting but if it can never happen I would consider switching to Samsung S3.

Thanks for your thoughts

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been out of the Android scene for a little, originally a crackberry fan for years but since the company is pretty much on its last leg, I've decided to give Android another shot.

Excuse my ignorance since it seems like a new phone is coming out every week. When is the HTC One mini coming out? Also, how do you think it will compare to the SG4 Mini? I had an SG3 for a couple months before I sold the phone. Great phone but was just a little too big for me, with a ton of bloatware.

MyLouisBag

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
When I go out and there is a no password wifi connection and I click on it the WiFi just disappears. The wifi connection bar just goes to the top left of the screen with a "!" Next to it. I keep trying to connect it quickly goes away. And sometimes the setting changes from on to off on the wifi. When I get home, it automatically gets WiFi connection without having to press connect. Anyone know how to fix this prob?

Posted via Android Central App

Lilla Lafille

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi! My question is about blinkfeed. when I first heard about that, it seemed so logical that its a great spec with HTC one where the possibilities never end. So I started wondering about how great it'd be to see anything on blinkfeed - any website, blog or even some of the fb pages that I'd love to see and check every day - that I wish. Can I put my favourite blog website in one of blinkfeed's window? Or can I set them to see only certain liked pages from fb or certain friends' updates? That'd be a great thing, but at the moment it seems like only predefined categories of news can be visible on blinkfeed - depends on which country you live in. Thanks a lot for your help in advance! L.

PS: One more option I've been wondering about: can you help me what's the way to put my apps' (installed by myself) updates on blinkfeed? (under highlights using 'Apps' than it should show only my apps' updates but I don't see any of them exept the usual Calendar window, "Get started" window and 'Tips and Help". (it won't even let to add other apps on widget settings , because 'there is no more place in that room' Went to see these, it just leads back to the settings of blinkfeed. So I just can't figure out how it works. But its possible to see my apps' updates on blinkfeed, isn't it? )

Last edited:

saurabh_c

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Is the HTC ONe Mini ready for the Android 4.4 KIT KAT??
Do the CPU specs of the HTC ONE mini allow it to upgrade to android 4.4.??
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech