Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Thumbs up I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Look what arrived this morning....


    It's the HTC One Mini!

    I've got the phone right in front of me, so here's the place to ask questions......

    GO!
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    I was wondering why they dont keep the same spec for the mini as they do in the larger htc one as in memory and cpu. I dont particularly want a large android phone (the iphone 4s size would be sufficient). However I dont want a phone thats slow or under powered and hence I want the cpu and memory of the one in the mini. Is this not required as the processor is mainly sized to drive the heavy graphics load that the larger screen inflicts and hence is not needed for the mini or is it purely because of the physical size of the case and hence smaller slower components have to go in there. Also is the smaller battery in the mini equivalent to the runtime of the larger battery in the one - ie smaller screen and processor dont need as big battery and hence the one mini can be made smaller?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    How does the sound quality compare to the HTC One?

    and

    How does it feel in the hand compare to the HTC One? Easier to handle? too small?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by nickthorley View Post
    I was wondering why they dont keep the same spec for the mini as they do in the larger htc one as in memory and cpu. I dont particularly want a large android phone (the iphone 4s size would be sufficient). However I dont want a phone thats slow or under powered and hence I want the cpu and memory of the one in the mini. Is this not required as the processor is mainly sized to drive the heavy graphics load that the larger screen inflicts and hence is not needed for the mini or is it purely because of the physical size of the case and hence smaller slower components have to go in there. Also is the smaller battery in the mini equivalent to the runtime of the larger battery in the one - ie smaller screen and processor dont need as big battery and hence the one mini can be made smaller?
    You'd have to ask HTC that. But I think it's because they're aiming for lower cost as well as smaller. And I wouldn't consider the Mini to be underpowered, really. The Snap 400 is a decent CPU, and most of the time it's just as fast as the HTC One.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikram shah View Post
    How does the sound quality compare to the HTC One?
    From the front speakers, it's *really* close. The One seems bassier (which makes sense -- larger phone = larger speakers = larger chambers), while the Mini is a little more trebbly -- though not necessarily tinny.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikram shah View Post
    How does it feel in the hand compare to the HTC One? Easier to handle? too small?
    It's easier to hold mainly due to the fact that it's narrower. The plastic trim around the edge is also easier on your hand, whereas the fullsize One has fairly sharp edges.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    How's the anti shake setting working compared to image stabilization on the One? I'm really thinking of recommending this to an iPhone contract expiring family member who's impressed with the One

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    gilroyneil's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    With 1GB Ram does it suffer from the lack of memory issues that the One X had (e.g. Web Pages had to reload a lot like old iPads etc)?

    Thanks,

    Neil
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldwafio View Post
    How's the anti shake setting working compared to image stabilization on the One? I'm really thinking of recommending this to an iPhone contract expiring family member who's impressed with the One

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    It's probably too early to tell. I've taken a few sample shots and they look decent. What I'd point out, though, is that most phone cameras -- even really good ones like the GS4's -- don't have OIS and they work just fine. And most of the time blurry photos are caused by the shutter staying open longer to compensate for a poor sensor. HTC's using the same sensor on as on the M7, and that's always had extremely quick shutter times.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil View Post
    With 1GB Ram does it suffer from the lack of memory issues that the One X had (e.g. Web Pages had to reload a lot like old iPads etc)?

    Thanks,

    Neil
    No RAM issues so far. Nothing's unexpectedly been dumped out of memory, but that's one of the things I'll be watching out for. (Plus, remember both Android and Sense have come a long way since the One X days.)
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Is there any considerable lag when previewing photos in Zoe, considering it's less powerful than One? In general is there a noticeable difference in performance in comparison to One? Also have you been using it enough to give us an estimate on battery life?

    Thank you very much,
    Ziga
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziga Radsel View Post
    Is there any considerable lag when previewing photos in Zoe, considering it's less powerful than One? In general is there a noticeable difference in performance in comparison to One? Also have you been using it enough to give us an estimate on battery life?

    Thank you very much,
    Ziga
    No noticeable delay when taking or viewing Zoes. The "loading" wait when creating video highlights is a slightly longer. We're only talking 2-3 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds though.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    How does the Snapdragon 400 CPU compare to the dual core Snapdragon S4 found in phones such as the HTC one?
    I am especially interested in the graphics capabilities.
    Could you probably post a screenshot of an Antutu Benchmark score? (I know these are synthetic but I still care)

    Thank you

    rob
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Keeping in mind that it's a HTC First in an aluminium body I would assume it is very comparable in performance...
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    How about the front cam on this one? Is it wide angle?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Which do you prefer? Mini or the normal one?

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by robstyle View Post
    How does the Snapdragon 400 CPU compare to the dual core Snapdragon S4 found in phones such as the HTC one?
    I am especially interested in the graphics capabilities.
    Could you probably post a screenshot of an Antutu Benchmark score? (I know these are synthetic but I still care)

    Thank you

    rob
    I haven't run any synthetic benchmarks (and the One has a Snap 600, not S4). But regular performance is almost identical. The only place i saw it struggling was during initial setup, when it had to sync a bunch of new accounts, restore from backup and update a bunch of apps all at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziga Radsel View Post
    Keeping in mind that it's a HTC First in an aluminium body I would assume it is very comparable in performance...
    More or less. Remember this is a Sense phone, so there's more HTC-specific optimization going on under the hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuli1989 View Post
    How about the front cam on this one? Is it wide angle?
    A quick unscientific test suggests it is not.
    Thanked by:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Which do you prefer? Mini or the normal one?

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    The regular HTC One is still pretty much my favorite phone atm. The Mini hasn't changed that
  16. #16  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dobie View Post
    I haven't run any synthetic benchmarks (and the One has a Snap 600, not S4). But regular performance is almost identical. The only place i saw it struggling was during initial setup, when it had to sync a bunch of new accounts, restore from backup and update a bunch of apps all at the same time.
    Sounds good, but I made a small mistake.
    I meant the comparison to the HTC One S not the regular One
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by robstyle View Post
    Sounds good, but I made a small mistake.
    I meant the comparison to the HTC One S not the regular One
    Yeah, the One S uses a regular dual-core S4. Brian Klug (who knows more about this sort of thing than I do) says the 400 that HTC's using here is slightly less powerful --
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Alex, I realize it's probably too early but it would be great to get - even if it's a gut-feel - your impression of the battery life relative to the full sized HTC One. I'd like to think the smaller battery is offset by the smaller screen and less powerful CPU, but you never know. Thanks!

    EDIT: Oops, I see the battery life question has already been asked a few times - sorry.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    So far I'm on 96% with 1 hour, 31 minutes on battery. That's indoors, on Wifi.

    I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!-2013-07-23-13.06.20.png

    And that probably doesn't tell you anything about real-world use
  20. #20  
    banvetor's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    I know this is not the place for this question, but I just feel the urge to rant now.

    Why does HTC think that 16Gb is enough for everyone? I mean, some people could prefer to pay $100-$200 one time for 64gb of mem, instead of $50-$100 everymonth to be able to stream their music and videos from the network... that is, WHEN you have network access... what happens when I'm on a plane?

    I REALLY like the HTC One mini, but this 16Gb with no mSD stuff just makes it impossible for me to buy it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by banvetor View Post
    I know this is not the place for this question, but I just feel the urge to rant now.

    Why does HTC think that 16Gb is enough for everyone? I mean, some people could prefer to pay $100-$200 one time for 64gb of mem, instead of $50-$100 everymonth to be able to stream their music and videos from the network... that is, WHEN you have network access... what happens when I'm on a plane?

    I REALLY like the HTC One mini, but this 16Gb with no mSD stuff just makes it impossible for me to buy it.
    I'm guessing the 16gb models of their phones would be the highest sellers over the 32gb/64gb models.

    Alex: How would you rate the HTC One Mini against the Galaxy S4 Mini? Which do you prefer?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    I cannot tell from the pictures I have seen, but is that a bumper case on it?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Is there any feature (software or hardware) that's on the Mini that isn't on the One?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by bmolloy View Post
    I cannot tell from the pictures I have seen, but is that a bumper case on it?
    I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that's just how they built it. It has this plastic bezel all the way around it to protect it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Alex Dobie's Avatar
    Android Central Europe Editor

    Posts
    197 Posts

    Default Re: I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

    Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    Alex: How would you rate the HTC One Mini against the Galaxy S4 Mini? Which do you prefer?
    One Mini. Mainly because of the software/hardware design. Samsung has expandable storage, a slightly faster CPU and a better camera going for it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmolloy View Post
    I cannot tell from the pictures I have seen, but is that a bumper case on it?
    Nope, the external trim is plastic now (only the back is metal)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Is there any feature (software or hardware) that's on the Mini that isn't on the One?
    Not that I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that's just how they built it. It has this plastic bezel all the way around it to protect it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
    You're 100% right.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I change the default stock Calendar "event color?"
    By Dayvidpriddy in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM
  2. HTC One TV App only works on some channels
    By robsawalker in forum HTC One
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
  3. I Love My S4, but Might Be Getting Rid of it soon!!!
    By jimbo1mcm in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
  4. Need Help! How to lock down the home screen? JB 4.1.1
    By Hathers82 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
  5. HTC Butterfly S
    By mich2013 in forum Cases, Skins and Screen Protectors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 04:11 AM

Posting Permissions

B