How to get Android File Transfer to recognize HTC One while in recovery mode?

atparkr

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty inexperienced with rooting, but I rooted my HTC One and tried flashing a custom ROM. Sadly it crashed my phone some how and I ended up wiping it, now it says it has no OS and I'm really freaking out because I know this voided the warranty. I can't put the ROM on the phone because it won't get past the "HTC Quietly Brilliant" screen and Android File Transfer won't recognize it. Is there any way I can fix this, whether it be with Android File Transfer or with another option in recovery?

Last edited:

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had a similar issue before where the device completely crashed and I did not have a ROM on the SD card to flash. I ended up using ADB to sideload a ROM and then it worked perfectly.

Use this tutorial:

How To Install and Use ADB, the Android Debug Bridge Utility

Make sure you install HTC Sync Manager for the proper drivers so that ADB can actually read your device and list it.

Put the ROM file in the platform-tools folder and rename it to rom.zip. After your device is successfully listed in the command prompt when typing the command 'adb devices', type this in order to flash it:

Code:
adb sideload rom.zip

Make sure you are using TWRP recovery

ADB Sideload | TeamWin

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and I sure hope this works out for you.

WillT8

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello !

I just want to say THANK YOU mate ! I just completely wiped my phone, left with TWRP recovery only, this post saved my phone ! It's working fine now !

Thanks a lot dude.

hatebreeder5150

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had a similar issue before where the device completely crashed and I did not have a ROM on the SD card to flash. I ended up using ADB to sideload a ROM and then it worked perfectly.

Use this tutorial:

How To Install and Use ADB, the Android Debug Bridge Utility

Make sure you install HTC Sync Manager for the proper drivers so that ADB can actually read your device and list it.

Put the ROM file in the platform-tools folder and rename it to rom.zip. After your device is successfully listed in the command prompt when typing the command 'adb devices', type this in order to flash it:

Code:
adb sideload rom.zip

Make sure you are using TWRP recovery

ADB Sideload | TeamWin

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and I sure hope this works out for you.

thank you so much for posting this. i am in this exact situation. i am almost completed with your tutorial however i ran into 1 error.

1.) when i type in adb devices it shows my device but says "recovery" off to the side instead of "device"
i assume this is due to the fact that i am in recovery. is this ok??

2.)when i type in adb sideload rom.zip after renaming the cyanogen zip i get the following messages
"adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started succesfully *
error: closed

what do i do now?

also after making sure the phone is not in stand by in recovery and trying again i got this:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: closed

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you elaborate with this? I'm getting an error too when typing in "adb sideload rom.zip"
You need to update your adb on your PC. if you have sdk installed open the sdk folder and use sd, manager to update it. If a Google search should find the new adb for ya

Pichukazuchan

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

I'm very sorry to ask you another Question, but I can't find my Phone when it's in recovery mode. It's pretty messed up like the one who openend this discussion, but I can't find it when I'm trying to sideload my ROM. I think I got all drivers installed (HTC Sync is installed, I installed the Google usb drivers with Android sdk tools). What am I doing wrong?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm very sorry to ask you another Question, but I can't find my Phone when it's in recovery mode. It's pretty messed up like the one who openend this discussion, but I can't find it when I'm trying to sideload my ROM. I think I got all drivers installed (HTC Sync is installed, I installed the Google usb drivers with Android sdk tools). What am I doing wrong?
Look here......[HOW TO] ADB Sideload/Push if you Wipe Internal Storage And have no ROM to Flash - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34