Bricked my phone while trying to Flash

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I had a series of issues while trying to flash my phone. I initially posted here http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/291013-can-i-get-back-sense-ui.html but that was the wrong section. But a moderator was SUPER kind to help me out ALL afternoon.

Long story short, I couldn't get into recovery mode. When I finally did and tried to flash it so I can revert back to Sense based ROM, the installation got stuck.

I tried installing Android Revolution HD but the installation is stuck at 30%. It's been an hour now...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/291013-can-i-get-back-sense-ui.html <--- this thread has more information toward the end about this issue in particular.

I'm really scared since I JUST bought this phone off a friend of a friend and I can't really return it :(

SuperJeff

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Which carrier are you on? I have the sprint version of the htc one, I soft bricked my phone a few day ago trying to flash that same rom. Lucky I figured out how to get back to stock and re-root and flash viper rom.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what the phone is originally on. The guy I bought it from said it was factory unlocked though. But I'm beginning to doubt that

I, however, am on Fido... Canada.

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I just checked command prompt using adb devices

It detects the device. My Serial number is listed and it says "Offline" and underneath "CWM-HTC recovery"

Does this help?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The htc one is a globally unlocked device, so it will work on any gsm carrier as long as the apn settings are correct. Still trying to find a little more info for you on what's going on.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
The htc one is a globally unlocked device, so it will work on any gsm carrier as long as the apn settings are correct. Still trying to find a little more info for you on what's going on.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Alright, waiting patiently but nervously!!

God this sucks, it took me 2 weeks to pull the trigger to buy this device and now thissssssssssssss. Talk about buyers remorse ;(

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't you just use you carrier specific ruu to flash it back to stock?

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

I don't even know how to get out of this Installer screen!!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Alright, waiting patiently but nervously!!

God this sucks, it took me 2 weeks to pull the trigger to buy this device and now thissssssssssssss. Talk about buyers remorse ;(

I assure you it's a great phone and once you get it up and running, which we will, you will lose that uneasy feeling. Sometimes things go wrong during these processes. Since your device is still being registered by adb, I am sure there is a solution.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I assure you it's a great phone and once you get it up and running, which we will, you will lose that uneasy feeling. Sometimes things go wrong during these processes. Since your device is still being registered by adb, I am sure there is a solution.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

Haha alright! Thanks a lot Jennifer, you've been great support all day! I'd be in complete hell without you!!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, I've gotten a ton of great support. I'm just paying it forward :) the first thing that comes to mind with this issue is that perhaps the switch from a non sense Rom to a sense Rom may be causing problems at the kernel level. I am trying to figure out now if more steps should have been taken or what we can do to get you back on the wagon.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, I've gotten a ton of great support. I'm just paying it forward :) the first thing that comes to mind with this issue is that perhaps the switch from a non sense Rom to a sense Rom may be causing problems at the kernel level. I am trying to figure out now if more steps should have been taken or what we can do to get you back on the wagon.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

Is there a way we can get out of this screen though? Cause nothing I do really works. Tried holding down the power button and volume key for up to 30 seconds

Is there a way to restart it from the computer? And if we DO, will there be an OS on it?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If there were some way to shut it down, I'm assuming there would not be an os on it.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I think you should also post this on xda. I'm not an expert by any means, but I promise I am trying my best to find a solution.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was about to post on XDA forums.

Got an UPDATE though. I used "adb reboot bootloader" in cmd and this time it worked. Now, however, I'm stuck on the HTC Quietly Brilliant

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the HTC One specifically, so I'm speaking generically... but if you're able to get into recovery, there isn't a lot of danger from you stopping an install midway by doing a simulated "battery pull". On previous versions of HTC devices with sealed batteries, you could accomplish this by holding only the power button for 10 seconds until it vibrates. It will attempt a regular boot, which your device is not doing well with, so you would simply follow the same procedure you used previously to get out of that cycle and into the custom recovery.

From there, you can attempt to reflash the same ROM or, personally I'd recommend getting the RUU for your device and flashing that first so you know you're on something stable, then going to a custom ROM once you get a successful nandroid of that.

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the HTC One specifically, so I'm speaking generically... but if you're able to get into recovery, there isn't a lot of danger from you stopping an install midway by doing a simulated "battery pull". On previous versions of HTC devices with sealed batteries, you could accomplish this by holding only the power button for 10 seconds until it vibrates. It will attempt a regular boot, which your device is not doing well with, so you would simply follow the same procedure you used previously to get out of that cycle and into the custom recovery.

From there, you can attempt to reflash the same ROM or, personally I'd recommend getting the RUU for your device and flashing that first so you know you're on something stable, then going to a custom ROM once you get a successful nandroid of that.

The problem with that is I'm not sure what the RUU for my device is. The person I bough it from told me it was Factory Unlocked...but I'm not sure I believe he really knows. So I'm in a pickle :(

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The problem with that is I'm not sure what the RUU for my device is. The person I bough it from told me it was Factory Unlocked...but I'm not sure I believe he really knows. So I'm in a pickle :(

They are all factory unlocked as far as global use. Is he insinuating that it is the developer edition, aka, it was s-off, and bootloader unlocked from the factory?

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech